Which songs were the "mating calls" Morrissey referred to on BBC4

King Leer

Leering since '97
Any educated guesses as to which songs were the "mating calls" ("unanswered, of course" - hilarious) that Morrissey was referring to in the recent BBC4 interview?

Which songs do you think he'd be concerned about singing live for worry of how it'd look to audiences at his "advanced age"? None come immediately to mind, but I'm not thinking very hard. So I put to you.

Erm.. "I Don't Owe You Anything", "Well I Wonder", "Back to the Old House", "Pretty Girls Make Graves", "Miserable Lie", "I Want The One I Can't Have"... there are quite a lot really, and I can understand why he'd feel uncomfortable singing those songs in his 50s.

I know he dropped "What Difference Does It Make" from live setlists quite early on, too, during his time with The Smiths. I think he was embarrassed by the lyrics, or something.

i know its over, reel around the fountain, unlovable etc etcccc

thought it was an interesting point he made when he was talking about song selection and how they are perceived.

I only listened to the interview once - was the question/answer made only in reference to Smiths songs?
I was more curious about solo mating calls.

I presumed so because weren't they talking about the smiths at this time in the interview? and sure he said something about '20 years ago' so it could include his earlier solo stuff but then he has played viva hate/bona drag stuff in his recent, post 04 setlists.

I think you have to look at the songs he has rarely performed live in the solo years. When I heard the comment, "Handsome Devil" and "What Difference..." sprang instantly to mind. On reflection perhaps "Reel Around The Fountain", "Well I Wonder", "I Know It's Over", "That Joke..." too - although I'd love to see them performed live.

Last edited:
I wondered this too, or if he was just being colourful and teasing. A couple of years ago I saw Russell Brand live in Dublin and one of his sketches was a surprised rhapsody about how all bird-song, no matter how beautiful, is tough territorial boundary-setting language, luring the right ones in and warning off interlopers! There's probably something to it, the primeval attempt to claim one's space and create one's own world. : )

Incidentally, does anyone agree with Morrissey about this? I personally can't see much in his earlier songs that really dates in this manner. The lyrics aren't specific, just full of implications. I don't think it would look embarassing, but I can understand if he feels odd singing them due to associations etc.

I thought the comment was along the lines that he doesn't want to be perceived as, or have it ever get to the point where he is perceived as a man Tom Jonesing it while frinkers cling to the side of the stage ready to toss their panties at him while he's singing these delicate little songs to a lost love. The key is lost, not lust.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom