The strange thing about murder

bored

not bitter but bored
Is it just me or do you find you are a lot more interested in murder cases that happen near where you live or near someone you live?

There was recently a murder in a small town in NH and I know someone who is basically a neighbor. I find myself following the coverage of this very closely but there are tons of murders all the time and I find myself not interested in them at all.

Anyone else have this sort of proximity sympathy to these kind of crimes?

In case anyone is interested.. here is the story... It's not a pleasant read.

http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=7eb553b2-2e18-4b1b-ba43-5b7607bb9bf7

And the followup of the arrests:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/10/4_teens_arreste.html

Seeing as there are around 160 a year here, it would either have to be someone I knew personally or to happen literally next door for me to pay a massive amount of attention.

Someone got stabbed to death in their own home near me the other day.

I've always loved reading about serial killers.:crazy:

I've been interested in murderers and serial killers as far back as I can remember. I remember being fascinated by my mom's Helter Skelter book before I could read. I was just intrigued by the pictures.

I recently read a book about a batshit crazy woman who killed her husband in the early 80s a few miles from where I currently live. I don't think the story would have been nearly as interesting had she lived somewhere I couldn't relate to.

Best murder of my lifetime was when that guy went crazy on the bus in Canada last year. Excellent bit of murdering. Oh, and it's not that strange that people would be more interested in a murder taking place near them rather than one that isn't! Not strange at all really.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of John Wayne Gacy and Drew Peterson. They really knew how it's done!

edited. I forgot Richard Speck. And Leopold and Loeb.

You know, if you like that sort of thing you should move over by here!

California certainly seems to punch above its weight in the absolute lunatics per capita competition. I've never been quite sure why that is but I'm sure someone somewhere has studied it.

Not really murder but two weeks after I moved house, they found a guy on my old street who'd been shot in the stomach.
I laughed for about two weeks.

And I laughed even more when it turned out no-one actually shot him; he had the gun in his pocket & managed to shoot himself.

When it hits close to home, you can't help but be affected or interested. I sometimes read murder stories in the newspapers and think they're unreal, it's hard to relate in a way, or even to grasp...people just killing others like it's nothing -over nothing- hard to fathom...doesn't anyone value life anymore? Sad. However, I love watching murder mystery shows like 48 hours, First 48, Forensic Files, even AMW. I want those f***ers caught. The scientific stuff is pretty cool too. I always kind of wanted to be a Detective. :cool:

Gilles de Rais is easily the 'best' murderer in history, by a country mile. I don't think he was ever active in Paris, though.

This is true of everything. I recently visited the Cimitiere des Chiens, because my new lodgings are nearby. I've never before had the desire to see a pet cemetery.

When I was in 11th grade a classmate's aunt disappeared. She was an heiress and her car was found by police with her purse and keys still inside. I still think about it all the time.

A 15 year old girl I knew quite well was Raped and Murdered back in 1978....( I was elsewhere, honest....) A very sad tale......I never did find out what eventually happened to her Murderer.....R.I.P Gillian Jones.

When I was 10 years old a young woman in my neighborhood named Maria Fasching was murdered by Joseph Kallinger, a serial rapist/torturer/murderer. I'll never forget it because I passed the house on my way to school; I noticed that the house was cordoned off, and there were police officers around.

Joseph Kallinger not only brutalized entire families, but he brought one of his adolescent sons along with him, and had him participate in the crimes. He sexually mutilated and murdered another son, and severely beat a third. Kallinger was himself sexually abused as a child. It's an insane, godawful story.

There are so many superstar serial killers - John Wayne Gacy, Ed Gein, etc. No one ever mentions Kallinger, who was, without question, one of the most viciously tragic/evil criminals I've ever seen. I'll never forget an interview I saw when they finally captured him. I'll never forget his voice. He said (among other things) that it was his mission to kill everyone on the planet, and then he would finally become god, and that a floating head named Charlie told him to kill, and wouldn't let him sleep in his bed.

I always wondered why he didn't catch on with all the serial killer fanciers; he was certainly sick enough. For anyone who needs a psycho fix you can read all about him online. Be warned, it's beyond brutal.

The movie Changeling (starring Angelina Jolie), is based on the true story of Gordon Northcott, who, along with his mother (although the movie doesn't touch on this), kidnapped, molested and killed numerous boys. He also forced his 13-year-old nephew to participate.

This took place about an hour from my house, which made it that much more interesting to me.

Back
Top Bottom