The Smiths and Rodney Bingenheimer

The Seeker of Good Songs

from: http://laist.com/2007/09/26/see_the_mayor_of_sunset_strip.php

rodneyandandywarhol.jpg

It's easier to name bands that Rodney Bingenheimer didn't discover on his long-running KROQ show, but if you're familiar with the works of Blondie, the Ramones, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, and The Smiths, it's probably because Rodney first spun it on 106.7 soon to be followed by other stations across the country.
The Mayor of the Sunset Strip is the doc released in 2003 about Rodney the gentle, high voiced, mop topped LA deejay who is fond of the word "anyway" (if you enjoy playing drinking games at home). The film is screening tonight at the Fine Arts on Wilshire in Beverly Hills and if you enjoy playing drinking games away from home, there will be free drinks after the film.
Thanks to our friends at Scion, the screening is free, and all you have to do is RSVP here and get your booty down to BH sometime before 8pm. It's first come first KROQed so don't dilly-dally.
We're very lucky to have guys like Rodney still on the airwaves schooling all of us every week on what's cool from across the pond and down in the underground. And if you haven't seen the film yet this is a great way to experience it, on a big screen thru a great sound system.
Bonus tip: former LA Weekly Music Editor Kate Sullivan did an excellent feature on Rodney right when the film was premiering in 2003 that you should check out if you didn't catch it the first time.

It was on the telly here recently, a fascinating watch - I had no idea who he was, or what he did, but the film opened my eyes. Oasis owed him a lot, I remember from the film.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom