The Public Image

mspendl828

Banned
I was strolling into work today and The Public Image came up on my mp3 player and for the first time I really noticed the lines

"I had a love and she was very kind
But she was no match for the public image"

And that's got me thinking, maybe Moz has had some sort of strong relationship with some woman but felt he couldn't go on with it as he had to keep being "Morrissey".

Any thoughts?

I was strolling into work today and The Public Image came up on my mp3 player and for the first time I really noticed the lines

"I had a love and she was very kind
But she was no match for the public image"

And that's got me thinking, maybe Moz has had some sort of strong relationship with some woman but felt he couldn't go on with it as he had to keep being "Morrissey".

Any thoughts?

I adore that song. And yeah, I completely agree with you, it certainly ties in with what the songs' about. I wonder if he ever wishes he could drop the 'public image' and all the restrictions it entails. It must be terribly difficult to have to hide the people you're with all the time (not to mention how unsettling it must be for the other person!). It's all very strange. Whenever I hear the line "Come on hide your lovers, underneath the covers" from 'Rebellion', by Arcade Fire, I always think of Morrissey.

I adore that song. And yeah, I completely agree with you, it certainly ties in with what the songs' about. I wonder if he ever wishes he could drop the 'public image' and all the restrictions it entails. It must be terribly difficult to have to hide the people you're with all the time (not to mention how unsettling it must be for the other person!). It's all very strange. Whenever I hear the line "Come on hide your lovers, underneath the covers" from 'Rebellion', by Arcade Fire, I always think of Morrissey.

Nobody's forcing him. Don't think anybody would really be all that interested if he did have a girlfriend (though to be honest I thought most people assumed he was gay).

He seems to believe his own press.

I think a lot of people would be interested if he had a girlfriend. Seeing as gossip of that sort about Moz is quite rare I'm sure a lot of people would care.

I think a lot of people would be interested if he had a girlfriend. Seeing as gossip of that sort about Moz is quite rare I'm sure a lot of people would care.

Hmmmm..... I think my point is that maybe the people of this board would be interested, but it ain't really going to rock the foundations of the planet, he might get a bit of attention from a few papers for a week or so, but after that they wouldn't be remotely interested and he wouldn't be bothered by them in the slightest.

He has decided to make himself this cloak and dagger pantomine figure, nobody else, it's almost as if he's trying to generate press attention by being secretive about everything. He knows full well what he's doing and people shouldn't worry about him being all lonely and miserable, I'm sure he's ok up there in L.A or Rome with his huge personal fortune and close knit community of friends. He'll be fine.

I think the obvious truth is there's not a lot for Morrissey to tell people and he's a bit embarrassed by that.

Also, if you tell people there's no one in your life for years and years and still they refuse to believe you, eventually you get fed up and just let them believe what they want to believe.

Hmmmm..... I think my point is that maybe the people of this board would be interested, but it ain't really going to rock the foundations of the planet, he might get a bit of attention from a few papers for a week or so, but after that they wouldn't be remotely interested and he wouldn't be bothered by them in the slightest.

He has decided to make himself this cloak and dagger pantomine figure, nobody else, it's almost as if he's trying to generate press attention by being secretive about everything. He knows full well what he's doing and people shouldn't worry about him being all lonely and miserable, I'm sure he's ok up there in L.A or Rome with his huge personal fortune and close knit community of friends. He'll be fine.

I wasn't saying that I worried about him or that him being known to have a partner would send the world into turmoil. In fact, I agree with all you said, more or less. And you're right, no-ones forcing him, but many people (within Morrisseys' dedicated fanbase, and they are the audience without which such character traits/his image would go unoticed) would be upset if he had a partner (especially if they were female). And he knows that, and that is the restriction.

I wasn't saying that I worried about him or that him being known to have a partner would send the world into turmoil. In fact, I agree with all you said, more or less. And you're right, no-ones forcing him, but many people (within Morrisseys' dedicated fanbase, and they are the audience without which such character traits/his image would go unoticed) would be upset if he had a partner (especially if they were female). And he knows that, and that is the restriction.

Do you really believe that? Interesting. I'm not sure i fall into the average/dedicated fan category but i don't think i'd be upset at all if it came out he had a partner. To be upset means that you think the partner is taking your place, and no one is daft to believe that. I also don't think many believe he's lonely and miserable, maybe they did (or maybe he was) when he was younger but not now.

I don't think he'd keep it quiet if he had a partner. I think he'd enjoy the fact that it would wind people up. It's a bit like his liking for boxing in the nineties. It pissed people off because it didn't go with their idea of "Morrissey" so he talked about it all the time.

I don't think he'd keep it quiet if he had a partner. I think he'd enjoy the fact that it would wind people up. It's a bit like his liking for boxing in the nineties. It pissed people off because it didn't go with their idea of "Morrissey" so he talked about it all the time.

Yeah, but that's small fry. Now, if he had a cheese burger, that would be impressive image manipulation.

Well OK, but do you think he's never had a partner? Is that what everyone thinks? If he really has never been with someone over the past twenty years, then fair enough, I'm wrong, but it just doesn't seem likely......

Well OK, but do you think he's never had a partner? Is that what everyone thinks? If he really has never been with someone over the past twenty years, then fair enough, I'm wrong, but it just doesn't seem likely......

Maybe he's just shy and doesn't want to tell people...

though these unfortunate things do happen in life to some unfortunate people who are incapable of relationships (and I certainly know a few of these lone-wolfs) I don't understand why his fans are so wild about knowing. what does it matter? I cannot believe anyone would be pissed off if he had partner and if that partner was of this or that sex. to be jealous of someone you don't even know and will never ever meet is truly psychotic, really. a sincere fan would be very happy for him instead.

I think The Public Image is my favorite song from the entire YATQ sessions. So, so good.

though these unfortunate things do happen in life to some unfortunate people who are incapable of relationships (and I certainly know a few of these lone-wolfs) I don't understand why his fans are so wild about knowing. what does it matter?.

I'll never understand why people who claim to not be interested in his private life read and reply to threads like these.

I cannot believe anyone would be pissed off if he had partner and if that partner was of this or that sex. to be jealous of someone you don't even know and will never ever meet is truly psychotic, really. a sincere fan would be very happy for him instead.

I agree with you, such people are psychotic and mad. But guess what, they exist!

Actually, Sunbags, you are completely right about that. I certainly would not be upset, but there are lots of people who would...I don't know how anyone can say otherwise, if they have spent any time either reading the Internet forums, or reading the articles about him in music and other press. The world in general might not be in turmoil, but we're not talking about the world in general...we're talking about the fanbase, the music press, circles in which Morrissey is something of a mythological figure.For instance, people are so in love with this image of a 'celibate singer Morrissey', that they have persisted with it, even after he stated in interviews that he is not celibate anymore. For instance, how many people are aware that he said in a Guardian interview in 1997 that he had has a relationship for the previous 2 years, which had ended by that time? Not even many of his fans seem aware of that! But instead of any shockwaves, the media have kept calling him celibate for years... is that just sloppiness, laziness on their part? Or is this 'celibate Morrissey' image just so strong that it can't go away?

For many people, Morrissey seems to be more of a myth than an actual human being. I think that most fans actually want him to stay mysterious (whatever they might say) so they could read their own views, meanings, fantasies, into his personality and his life. Do you know the quote from a 1997 interview 'Artists are not real people. I am 95% papier mache"? Notice he says the same in "The Public Image":

When I'm dead
It will be read
Here Lies The Public Image
5 percent human being
And 95 image

I understand exactly why he might feel like that... when I look through the interviews, the articles, documentaries, the fan talk, the way he has been presented in the media for years, I get the impression that his image is something that even he himself has lost control long, long time ago...maybe as early as in the mid-80s. There are so many things that people have written about him that was just pure speculation, oversimplification, or that was simply untrue, there are so many things about him that are simply assumed, without any foundation. And even when he tries to explain soem things, it doesn't seem to amount to much... he is still asked the same stupid questions over and over (an example - I go nuts whenever I realize that some people are still claiming that he is racist! :rolleyes: ) In the end, the truth itself becomes irrelevant, it seems that it only matters what people believe.

But I think you're all missing a very important point here: all this is not a big problem if you can simply separate your public persona from your private life. But it's not always possible - and specifically, I think that Morrissey was never the kind of person who can simply separate it. There is always a certain feedback between the person and the world... the way that others perceive eventually influences the way you behave, even when you try hard to avoid it. You might end up feeling trapped in the way that people see you...and slipping into that role they've given you. And I think Morrissey does think a lot about the way that people see him...he might say he doesn't care what people say, but I think it does affect him; you can see it in his lyrics and in his interviews, he often seems to be answering the things that are written about him (he even used to do it in Smiths songs - "Boy With The Thorn In His Side", "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore", "Bigmouth Strikes Again", all were in different ways the comments on the way the press treated him). "Scrape beneath /The surface and /You will find more public image"

So, IMO, the problem is not just that he might, for instance, have a relationship but not feel able to reveal to the public, but that his relationships or potential relationships might suffer or fail because of his image. Didn't you ever think about that? He is a person who has always (although probably more in the past than now) had problems with shyness, with insecurity, and with inability to express feelings ... . I know that a lot of that shyness and insecurity has gone with the years, but puts yourself in hsi shoes and imagine how difficult it must be to find a relationship if people have certain ideas about you. For instance... how diffcult it would be to show your feelings (and how less ready people would be to show their feelings for you) you're assumed to be unapproachable, not interested in relationships, celibate, asexual... and how especially difficult it would be if, say, you happen to be attracted to /interested / in love with a woman, and you're assumed by many to be gay?

You are also right that people would be far more upset if they found out he was with a woman, than if he was with a man... Remember that stupid NME writer who interviewed him this year?

Morrissey: "We all have a sexuality and why is mine so unique? So I very childishly feel inclined not to say anything, and I often wonder if I did say to people that I am very close to somebody who is female, what would the reaction be?"
Interviewer: "Probably utter shock."
Morrissey: "Well, there you go. So it's best I say absolutely nothing."

And, I remember one occasion, when I stumbled onto an archived discussion from 3 or 4 years ago, on an Internet forum (not specifically Moz-related forum, just a general forum) where someone mentioned a rumour they've heard about Morrissey : it was - gasp! - "Morrissey has a girlfriend! Oh, my God, this is Armageddon!" (yes, that's a quote). What were the reactions? For the most part, utter shock and disbelief. Just one person said: 'is there a rule he isn't allowed to have one?' But someone answered that he's supposed to bever have had anyone etc. and many more insisted that, oh, come on, everyone knows he's gay, he's so obviously gay! etc. and my favourite comment: "Are you sure that the girlfriend isn't a vicar in a tutu?" :rolleyes: Then someone else started making comments to the effect that 'oh, so he's going through a straight phase... Moz, I know that the girls are soft and smell nice, but you've been out of the game for so long, you're in for a surprise" (??) Yep, these are pretty much the exact quotes, as far as I remember them, from that wonderful debate. True, there were one or two people who pointed out that there's no reason for shock, since 'Morrissey has bever said he's gay and no longer seriously claims he's celibate' and mentioned some biographical facts as well... But eventually, it seems to have ended up with someone making a poll 'Your favourite Morrissey gossip' with the option 'Morrissey does it with a lady' put next to options such as 'Morrissey flies into space' and similar absurd things. :mad: I wish I knew I could put the actual link... that very graphically shows you how the 'public' would react, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom