The Blue Nile- Hats

J

Jo Jo70

' I know a place where everything's alright.
Let's go out tonight.'

Does anyone else own this little masterpiece?
I recently replaced my well-worn cassette tape with the c.d., for the bargain price of £3.99, courtesy of the corporate might that is Borders. It always reminds me of swotting for A levels, and unrequited teenage love. Some things never change!
'Headlights On The Parade' is a glorious song:
'Close your eyes.
Come with me.
Only love is alive.

Close your eyes.
Can't you see.
Only love will survive.'

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't heard their latest album yet, which is incredibly their first in 8 years!
Just to demonstrate that I'm not the only one who waxes lyrical about them (although I could never express it as well as this) :

'Some just don't get it. Then there are those of us, more than you might think, who fall silent, cross themselves and genuflect whenever they're mentioned. If they speak to you, if you feel them, The Blue Nile's soulful, resolute records are as exquisite as records get.'

'Every second of it's on the brink of something; it makes emotional sense, it's the truth. It encourages you to put your own yearnings in there, whoever you are. It's an Edward Hopper, the ordinary as miracle, quietly burning.'

'crystalline mid-tempo soundscapes in which regret and ecstasy twine into a spiritual double helix. "An ordinary miracle is all we really need," croons Paul Buchanan. This will do." '

Quite.

Back
Top Bottom