Smiths & Morrissey Rarities

Is there a discography held anywhere holding a full list of rarities and approximate valuations ?

Lots of stuff on e bay and not sure if it is all genuine or not.

e.g. The Smiths on red and yellow vinyl. Really not heard of these before and kind of hoping someone had discovered a site somewhere to check the bona fide from the bogus.

Any help appreciated.

ta

Stay away from the red and yellow vinyls, they are not genuine. I was told by someone selling one online that they got it from a market in Switzerland, so they're very clearly not the real thing.

there is the record collector rare record guide that is printed every few years or so, but it's only a guide, they only value genuine released items & a few promo's maybe.
The best way I think you can find a value for an item is the 'completed listings' option on ebay, but this is still only a guide.
Re: the red & yellow pressings of the Smiths debut l.p. course they are boots, but if you had never heard or purchased the Smiths before I'm sure that you would opt for the original l.p. as it's less than 1/2 the price of the boots. So to me they are collectors pieces rather than anything else. They come in just a plain inner sleeve unlike the original & the covers are a tad more flimsy than the original too. It's more of a completists thing than someone just getting into buying the Smiths imho.

love

Grim

there is the record collector rare record guide that is printed every few years or so, but it's only a guide, they only value genuine released items & a few promo's maybe.
The best way I think you can find a value for an item is the 'completed listings' option on ebay, but this is still only a guide.
Re: the red & yellow pressings of the Smiths debut l.p. course they are boots, but if you had never heard or purchased the Smiths before I'm sure that you would opt for the original l.p. as it's less than 1/2 the price of the boots. So to me they are collectors pieces rather than anything else. They come in just a plain inner sleeve unlike the original & the covers are a tad more flimsy than the original too. It's more of a completists thing than someone just getting into buying the Smiths imho.

love

Grim

Dont mind collectors pieces but if they are recently pressed then not interested. With foreign issues its hard to know what was released at the time. I will stay clear.

aye fair do's, I just hope you aint gonna kick yourself in 10 years time over these mate. If you notice there are other boots recently pressed of gigs too, 'Brighter Sides To Life' being one such item of a gig from 1986 but this pressing was done just last year. Has Floodzonex said the passions site has most details of what's what & is a good starting place.

keep collecting

love

Grim

Just a mistake on the seller's part. This is probably a person selling lots of records and can't keep all the info straight. I actually own that 12", it's a cool single and it's official.

Correct. In 1986/1987 the Zensor and Line labels released a few Smiths records in Germany in clear or coloured 7" and 12" vinyl.

I do have the Ask 12" in question; the third track is of cause Golden Lights, so that this was indeed a mistake by the seller.

There is a blue Panic 12" from that series, with a different track list (including There's A Light That Never Goes Out and The Queen is Dead instead of Vicar In A Tutu and The Draize Train) compared to the UK Rough Trade release and a red 12" with Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others on the A and Frankly, Mr.Shankly and The Draize Train on the B-Side.

So not everything coloured and with strange tracklists is a fake.

Back
Top Bottom