Morrissey as religious icon

Do you think this is particular to Morrissey or all artists? The concept of the muse is not new. David Lynch often says that his ideas come outside of himself as do many other creative people. Or do you think it is more profound than that?

I think this is the case for all artists whose intention for writing is not monetary reward, (I believe intention plays a part in how willing the muse is to work through an artist,) but I think the passion of Morrissey's words is different and aligns itself more accurately and less metaphorically with classic gnostic teachings that I'm under the impression he didn't have exposure to to influence him. His work checks a lot of arcane boxes. He is different. Also his mannerisms suggests that he is one who flirts and dances with a spirit. What some see as diva and difficult to manage, I see as someone who is very careful in everything he does for a reason, that he is cosmically in tune with something indescribable and has learned through a strange life the cause and effect relationship of his actions with the world around him, that he tries to control that world in a context of communicating in small calculated ways with something that he sees, but maybe most others do not. Also, the fact his work checks so many boxes is interesting, a savior figure cannot announce himself as much as it is to be disregarded when a homeless crazy man stands on the corner and claims he's the second-coming, the proof is hidden within code and sometimes not so coded (that's the non-metaphor part I was referring to earlier) passages in his honest, heart-felt work.

Last edited:
I think this is the case for all artists whose intention for writing is not monetary reward, (I believe intention plays a part in how willing the muse is to work through an artist,) but I think the passion of Morrissey's words is different and aligns itself more accurately and less metaphorically with classic gnostic teachings that I'm under the impression he didn't have exposure to to influence him. His work checks a lot of arcane boxes. He is different. Also his mannerisms suggests that he is one who flirts and dances with a spirit. What some see as diva and difficult to manage, I see as someone who is very careful in everything he does for a reason, that he is cosmically in tune with something indescribable and has learned through a strange life the cause and effect relationship of his actions with the world around him, that he tries to control that world in a context of communicating in small calculated ways with something that he sees, but maybe most others do not. Also, the fact his work checks so many boxes is interesting, a savior figure cannot announce himself as much as it is to be disregarded when a homeless crazy man stands on the corner and claims he's the second-coming, the proof is hidden within code and sometimes not so coded (that's the non-metaphor part I was referring to earlier) passages in his honest, heart-felt work.

So do you think he feels himself to be the saviour? And that he deliberately uses code to announce it?

So do you think he feels himself to be the saviour? And that he deliberately uses code to announce it?

No I don't. I think he makes the best of being in a strange situation and attempts to talk directly to the spirit in his songs, he's not talking to us so much. But since the spirit lives in us, he seems to be talking to us and that's why we all feel we can relate to closely to the songs. I feel he feels himself to be embroiled in the biggest cosmic prank ever, that's what makes him ligitimate. He doesn't even know the parallels and validity of his suffering, much of which we don't even know, I suspect. SOmetimes a lot of tiny things add up to one big giant equation. And you have to be careful when you use the savior word. But I don't feel he's trying to say "I'm the savior!" He's just having a conversation and trying to get some resolution and answers from this ghost he talks to , and in so doing he's pushing all the right buttons that would make a rabbinical teacher who studied his work closely say..."Wait a minute."

Back
Top Bottom