Marr, Mike, & Andy's opinions on Morrissey's solo work

Leather Elbows

Has Mike, Andy or Marr ever commented on Morrissey's solo work. I've read tons of interviews from Mike Andy & Marr but they've never discussed Morrissey's work after the split.

I've wondered this too. Marr made some snide remark that he never listens to Morrissey's albums because he already knows what they'll sound like, but that was a few years ago.

I remember not so long ago that Marr said when he first heard Viva Hate it seemed strange that he wasn't playing on it.

A lot of the supposed anti-Moz statements made by Marr come from the Kill Uncle period ("Alf Wank", etc.) when he was in Electronic and clearly being egged on by Sumner.

When Mike tweeted that he didn't like the Smiths covers on the Glastonbury set, he followed it up by saying that Morrissey "sounded great though" http://www.morrissey-solo.com/conte...on-Glastonbury-performance-and-cover-versions

I bumped into Andy outside the MEN Arena in Manchester (the gig that was recorded for Who Put The M) he was with a film crew, but I've always liked to think that he was going to the gig as well as a fan :)

Dave

it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for Marr, Mike and Andy to make any kind of judicial remark concerning Mozzer's solo work, as it's not as though any of them have done anything remotely relevant in comparison.

In fact, I'd say the only one who'd have ANY right opening his mouth about Morrissey's solo work is Marr, seeing as Mind Bomb was the only real relevant recording either of the three of them have made since The Smiths called it a day, and seeing as Marr is still far superior in terms of guitar playing than any of the hired hands Morrissey has employed in the last 25 years

it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for Marr, Mike and Andy to make any kind of judicial remark concerning Mozzer's solo work, as it's not as though any of them have done anything remotely relevant in comparison.

In fact, I'd say the only one who'd have ANY right opening his mouth about Morrissey's solo work is Marr, seeing as Mind Bomb was the only real relevant recording either of the three of them have made since The Smiths called it a day, and seeing as Marr is still far superior in terms of guitar playing than any of the hired hands Morrissey has employed in the last 25 years

The closest comparison I can think of would be Johnny's work with Electronic. After all, he was part of the group for ten years...a lifetime in Marr terms! It doesn't seem half as long, perhaps because they only released three albums. In recent years he's seemed more proud of The The than Electronic...hmm.

I bumped into Andy outside the MEN Arena in Manchester (the gig that was recorded for Who Put The M) he was with a film crew, but I've always liked to think that he was going to the gig as well as a fan:)
Dave
Well, he was certainly at the concert coz he was in the row behind me. Seem to recall he spent the whole time looking pretty pissed off and occasionally shouting obscenities at Morrissey!

Well, he was certainly at the concert coz he was in the row behind me. Seem to recall he spent the whole time looking pretty pissed off and occasionally shouting obscenities at Morrissey!

I take it Moz didn't know he was there, then. What did he say? Why would he shout obscenities in the first place? Strange.

I take it Moz didn't know he was there, then. What did he say? Why would he shout obscenities in the first place? Strange.

No, Morrissey wouldn't have known. We were near the back. I think Rourke was shouting out stuff in response to Morrissey's between-song 'banter'. A friend of mine was within earshot but I can't remember exactly what he said.
I don't think Rourke generally has a lot of positivity towards Morrissey unlike Joyce who does pay quite a few compliments (along with the occasional dig). But, then again, Joyce did receive a million pounds off him (and Rourke got next to nothing) which probably makes it easier to be magnanimous!

No, Morrissey wouldn't have known. We were near the back. I think Rourke was shouting out stuff in response to Morrissey's between-song 'banter'. A friend of mine was within earshot but I can't remember exactly what he said.
I don't think Rourke generally has a lot of positivity towards Morrissey unlike Joyce who does pay quite a few compliments (along with the occasional dig). But, then again, Joyce did receive a million pounds off him (and Rourke got next to nothing) which probably makes it easier to be magnanimous!

Why would Rourke be that against Moz, though? I remember a segment on the "Inside the Smiths" DVD where Rourke said something like, "We knew we were dealing with a genius, we were dealing with a delicate flower". Cringe!

Why would Rourke be that against Moz, though? I remember a segment on the "Inside the Smiths" DVD where Rourke said something like, "We knew we were dealing with a genius, we were dealing with a delicate flower". Cringe!

I don't really know to be honest, apart from that maybe he feels that Morrissey (and Marr) conned him out of £1 million or however much Joyce received. It's just speculation. Rourke and Morrissey have always seemd like chalk and cheese to me. I can't imagine there was ever much of a connection.

I don't really know to be honest, apart from that maybe he feels that Morrissey (and Marr) conned him out of £1 million or however much Joyce received. It's just speculation. Rourke and Morrissey have always seemd like chalk and cheese to me. I can't imagine there was ever much of a connection.

Well, Moz communicated with "the other two" solely through Johnny, so there wasn't much chance to strike up a friendship. Do you know if Marr was at the MEN gig?

I have it in my head Marr was at the MEN gig with Noel Gallagher but might be completely wrong.

I do like the story of the Manchester versus Cancer gig with Andy and Johnny playing TIALTNGO with Makoto Sakamoto on drums, all the while Mike is stood in the crowd looking devastated.

I have it in my head Marr was at the MEN gig with Noel Gallagher but might be completely wrong.

I do like the story of the Manchester versus Cancer gig with Andy and Johnny playing TIALTNGO with Makoto Sakamoto on drums, all the while Mike is stood in the crowd looking devastated.

Hahahaha! I'm surprised he even had the nerve to turn up.

Don't see why not. He's a Mancunian musician who's day of success have long gone. He would have fitted in great in such a line up.

Don't see why not. He's a Mancunian musician who's day of success have long gone. He would have fitted in great in such a line up.

Ouch.

Back
Top Bottom