Lucky Bastard Update

U

Uncleskinny

Well I got my hands on that "Half A Person" three LP set yesterday, and very nice too. After being directed to Passionsjustlikemine.com, it seems there is another one available, in a bluer cover, and entitled "How Soon Is Now", covering Hatful Of Hollow, The Queen Is Dead and Strangeways.

Walking up Haworth main street this morning, bobbed in to one of the second-hand book/record shops - and guess what was sat there at the front of the stack, staring me in the face? Only the other one, for £12. Fate is a funny thing, is it not?

Me satisfied.

Sk.

Skinny
That is one hell of a hill in Haworth to walk up!
Did it a few years ago with a kid in a wheel chair - two of us pushing up hill and 3 of us holding on going down hill. Not to mention the cobbles!
The Goat.

What makes "collecters/complete-ists" any less sad than trainspotters?

Just sounds like another £12 down the drain to me.
The whole 'collecting' thing strikes me as a schoolboy-ish pursuit that one should grow out of at roughly the same time as one starts having sex (and I mean with other people, not inanimate objects).
Personally, I never buy the same song twice, unless it is to get other tracks that have been cunningly spread over different CDs.
I imagine Record Companies are encouraged to release as many different formats as they can get away with to bleed these so-called 'completeists' dry, but it does pose the question, are the record companies simply supplying demand, or are they issuing so many versions and re-issues of the same things, simply to exploit the collectors, who they KNOW have to have everything to keep their collections complete?
Then we get the issuing of singles over several CDs that contain "extra tracks/video footage", to further exploit those that just want ONE version of each new track, but who have become caught in the crossfire, as the record companies attempt to squeeze every penny out of an artists loyal fanbase.
As for those who buy foreign imports just because they have a different sleeve!! Don't even get me started.
Fair enough, it's up to you what you spend your money on, but my collecting began and ended with beer mats and bottle tops as a kid, and I don't feel deprived in any way for not having the German clear vinyl 12" of 'Ask'.

> Skinny
> That is one hell of a hill in Haworth to walk up!
> Did it a few years ago with a kid in a wheel chair - two of us pushing up
> hill and 3 of us holding on going down hill. Not to mention the cobbles!
> The Goat.

I did it with the kids and in-laws in tow, so a gentle pace. Still, with a wheelchair. Just like the hill out of the Hovis ads.

Sk.

Re: What makes a completeist-bastard

each to their own eh, I'm one of those sad bastards that not only goes for the foreigners but even the label/sleeve differences of the same pressing etc, are you asleep yet? Infact if you was to ask me (go on go on) how many copies have I got of each song? I couldn't tell you but it's... it's a lot.
Is it not the differences that make us the complex beings that we are? Or is it 'What Difference Does It Make?'. Next they'll be having a couple of days discussion by a load of interlectuals & people not unsimilar to myself, whats best the debate or the mass-debate? Trouble is I'm paying for the mass-debate, it had better be worth it, do you think it'll all cum to nothing?

GrimO

> Just sounds like another £12 down the drain to me.
> The whole 'collecting' thing strikes me as a schoolboy-ish pursuit that
> one should grow out of at roughly the same time as one starts having sex
> (and I mean with other people, not inanimate objects).
> Personally, I never buy the same song twice, unless it is to get other
> tracks that have been cunningly spread over different CDs.
> I imagine Record Companies are encouraged to release as many different
> formats as they can get away with to bleed these so-called 'completeists'
> dry, but it does pose the question, are the record companies simply
> supplying demand, or are they issuing so many versions and re-issues of
> the same things, simply to exploit the collectors, who they KNOW have to
> have everything to keep their collections complete?
> Then we get the issuing of singles over several CDs that contain
> "extra tracks/video footage", to further exploit those that just
> want ONE version of each new track, but who have become caught in the
> crossfire, as the record companies attempt to squeeze every penny out of
> an artists loyal fanbase.
> As for those who buy foreign imports just because they have a different
> sleeve!! Don't even get me started.
> Fair enough, it's up to you what you spend your money on, but my
> collecting began and ended with beer mats and bottle tops as a kid, and I
> don't feel deprived in any way for not having the German clear vinyl
> 12" of 'Ask'.

Re: What makes a completeist-bastard

> each to their own eh,

I suppose so.
As long as they're consenting adults anyway.

Back
Top Bottom