Is Morrissey in a massive phase of musical diversity?

I love Maudlin Street - oh truly I do! It's in me top 10.
On the face of it, it may seem like a sparse arrangement but I think it's a terrific piece of music.
Like most of the Street compositions it's based around a very pleasing chord sequence (Em, Bm, D x2, then E, then C, G x2) which is a great to strum along to (do you play an instrument?). There are also tons of subtle changes to the music as the song progresses. My favourite bit is around the 2.30 mark when Street introduces a gorgeous tinkling piano into the mix. It's just sublime!

I don't believe for one moment that Street had much involvement in "Late Night, Maudlin Street." Perhaps he came up with the original basic chords for the demo, but the whole musical backing -- from the drum loops to the piano tinkling to the guitar shimmers -- are all very Durutti Column-ish so looks like Reilly had the big say in this one.

Last edited:
I don't believe for one moment that Street had much involvement in "Late Night, Maudlin Street." Perhaps he came up with the original basic chords for the demo, but the whole musical backing -- from the drum loops to the piano tinkling to the guitar shimmers -- are all very Durutti Column-ish so looks like Reilly had the big say in this one.

I disagree. Street was the producer, if he didn't want it on the record it wouldn't gone on there & if Reilly had produced it himself, he'd have let us know about it by now!

I was referring to the musical content of the song rather than the production aspect. It's important to note that Street already had a healthy working relationship with Reilly on several Durutti Column albums during that period, so I doubt Street would have dismissed any input or suggestions Reilly may have had.

"Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together" is another intriguing one too. Pretty much the entire string section on the album are all people involved with Reilly -- including top violinist John Metcalfe who served as Durutti Column member from 1983-1994.

I was referring to the musical content of the song rather than the production aspect. It's important to note that Street already had a healthy working relationship with Reilly on several Durutti Column albums during that period, so I doubt Street would have dismissed any input or suggestions Reilly may have had.

"Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together" is another intriguing one too. Pretty much the entire string section on the album are all people involved with Reilly -- including top violinist John Metcalfe who served as Durutti Column member from 1983-1994.

"Angel, Angel.." is another beautiful song. Moz was obviously really raw after the Smiths split and he poured it all into Viva Hate. The lyrics on the album are sublime.

The piano and guitar are definitely Vini Reilly - but Street created the drum loop from the Prince song "Housequake."

Back
Top Bottom