I Don't Owe You Anything, but you owe me an answer

M

moonriver

What does the line "bought on stolen wine" mean? Not a joke, it's a serious question, I'm not English.

I've always wondered that myself.

Would one of our British friends care to answer this?

> What does the line "bought on stolen wine" mean? Not a
> joke, it's a serious question, I'm not English.

> What does the line "bought on stolen wine" mean? Not a
> joke, it's a serious question, I'm not English.
I always thought he'd said "buzzed on stolen wine" silly me...

> I always thought he'd said "buzzed on stolen wine"
> silly me...

From http://www.oz.net/~moz/lyrics/thesmith/idontowe.htm

"One of my favourites from "The Smiths", this mellow song about relationships displays Morrissey's growing singing ability to great effect. A fairly simple musical backing accents the clarity and rapidly improving timbre of his voice.
When sung live, Morrissey often changed the first line to "Drunk on stolen wine". This provides some clue as to the initial section of the song; it's surely about someone being picked up / chatted up whilst out on the "razzle". In this context the lyrics start to take form. Here the author is seeming to be rejected, at least temporarily. He is convinced of his wooing abilities, however, sure that she will in fact go out. A double-edged statement, this: the use of the word "must" seems to signify desperation on the part of the recalcitrant subject.
The author quickly switches from homely advice ("Let them come to you") to stark denial of debt. Here the debt seems to be a purely emotional one - he's putting no emotional effort into his cajolings. The author is make stern demands ofthe subject however, demanding to be repaid (for his efforts). His intentions are candidly revealed in the last two verses..."

So could it mean, the person who is desired by the singer / narrator is "bought" with the stolen wine? But then it should have been "bought with stolen wine". Why ON?

Re: I've always wondered that myself.

> Would one of our British friends care to answer this?

I have a feeling it's a witty observation on the British teen culture. Go to any Northern, working class area on a Friday night and you will see a pose of underage teenage drinkers, hanging around parks or bus shelters. With the males plying the opposite sex with bottles of cider or cheap wine (White Lightening used to a favourite) often stolen from the local off-licence. Once the female is relaxed(well, mortal drunk) the male will expect to get 'sexual favours' or at worst a grope.

These are the ways on which I was raised, anyway

P.S Most of the said male teens graduate to 'Boy Racers' in later life.

simply this....

> So could it mean, the person who is desired by the singer /
> narrator is "bought" with the stolen wine? But then it
> should have been "bought with stolen wine". Why ON?

I think it means what is says. It's very humorous wordplay having bought and stolen in the same line. Bought meaning drunk. It sounds better to say it the way he wrote it simply for the phrasing. There.

Re: I've always wondered that myself.

I totally concur with Wonkey Donkey.
The wine has been stolen & the person drinking it is bought on it as W.D. said the person who nicked the wine is expecting a sexual favour in return.

W.D. I'm in Bolton where are you from, being as you said about the witty observation in any Northern working class town etc.
it's
Grim O'Grady up North

Back
Top Bottom