"Get Back To The Ghetto"

E

Erik

(To me) This is BY FAR the best of the known ROTT b-sides
Great melody - and great lyrics.

"Children In Pieces" also sounds like it has great potential.

I think this next single will be much more enjoyable.

What do you think Uncleskinny and Dazzak?

> (To me) This is BY FAR the best of the known ROTT b-sides
> Great melody - and great lyrics.

> "Children In Pieces" also sounds like it has great potential.

> I think this next single will be much more enjoyable.

> What do you think Uncleskinny and Dazzak?

I agree - I believe it would have sat well on the main album. I remember Visconti saying that some of his favourites ended up as b-sides. I wonder if there's a streak in us that says "oh well, we're familiar with the album now, so any new material will be assessed anew, and with the album as the backdrop". The piano leitmotif very strongly reminds me of Protection by Massive Attack, which is no bad thing in my book. I know that you and I both agree that some superb songs were left off Quarry, but we've come to expect that - just think of Lost, Jack The Ripper, I Can Have Both, My Life Is A Succession, Nobody Loves Us...you could go on, and our Moz has a track record of leaving cracking songs to b-sides, and I suppose that's part of the fun.

I haven't quite made up my mind yet. At the moment I think it's slightly dull, though. Vocal melody's a bit strained and forced and just doesn't sit with me very well. However, the song comes into it's own for me during the outro. If I were pushed I'd actually say it's my least favourite B-side thus far. Maybe this'll change with the studio version. Lyrics don't do much for me either. I just don't believe them.

> I know
> that you and I both agree that some superb songs were left off Quarry, but
> we've come to expect that - just think of Lost, Jack The Ripper, I Can
> Have Both, My Life Is A Succession, Nobody Loves Us...you could go on, and
> our Moz has a track record of leaving cracking songs to b-sides, and I
> suppose that's part of the fun.

"One of these songs is not like the others... one of these songs does not belong... "

Could it be... "My Life Is A Succession"? Why, yes, it is! What a horrid little "composition". You probably mistyped, didn't you? Here, let me correct it for you:

Lost, Jack the Ripper, I Can Have Both, It's Hard To Walk Tall, Nobody Loves Us.

There. Much better.

It's Good Looking That's The Best

But what do you think of Good Looking Man About Town. I think that should have been his first single--not the bside. I've played it to some of my casual morrissey listening friends that didn't much care for Maladjusted or Quarry (too crooner like) and they thought it was right good. What do you think?

> I haven't quite made up my mind yet. At the moment I think it's slightly
> dull, though. Vocal melody's a bit strained and forced and just doesn't
> sit with me very well. However, the song comes into it's own for me during
> the outro. If I were pushed I'd actually say it's my least favourite
> B-side thus far. Maybe this'll change with the studio version. Lyrics
> don't do much for me either. I just don't believe them.

> "One of these songs is not like the others... one of these songs does
> not belong... "

> Could it be... "My Life Is A Succession"? Why, yes, it is! What
> a horrid little "composition". You probably mistyped, didn't
> you? Here, let me correct it for you:

> Lost, Jack the Ripper, I Can Have Both, It's Hard To Walk Tall, Nobody
> Loves Us.

> There. Much better.

Well, as the French say, "Chacun a son gout". We all have our favourites.

Peter

> Well, as the French say, "Chacun a son gout". We all have our
> favourites.

You really, seriously like "My Life Is A Succession..."? Really??? No kidding? You actually consider it to be among his best? Up there with "Nobody Loves Us" and "Jack the Ripper"? Honest? That is the most peculiar thing I've heard since, oh, the last message I read on this board.

The Puzzled Comtesse

Re: It's Good Looking That's The Best

I love "Good Looking Man About Town" - very cool.

I actually agree with Uncleskinny - "My Life Is An Endless..." is a beautiful song.

> You really, seriously like "My Life Is A Succession..."?
> Really??? No kidding? You actually consider it to be among his best? Up
> there with "Nobody Loves Us" and "Jack the Ripper"?
> Honest? That is the most peculiar thing I've heard since, oh, the last
> message I read on this board.

> The Puzzled Comtesse

Yes I do, I think it's a beautiful, swirling, surging song. If I was being overly critical, then maybe not the best lyrically, but musically, yes, I think it's up there, I really do. I've played it myself, and the chords are apart from the rest of Quarry, in that they progress musically, and use derivatives I don't think I've heard elsewhere in Moz solo work. In a similar way, in my opinion, At Last I Am Born is a cracking song, because it's different - in fact I like the difference. My Life Is... and Teenage Dad, I think, are real gems from the Quarry sessions.

Peter

I like all the anti authority pieces of late incl this - all those yawning about such since Maladjusted and through Quarry will no doubt be eating their words when the full implications of ID cards and the Terrorism Act are unleashed on the same 'bored' public. Ahead of his time?!?!?

Back
Top Bottom