Zack Snyder's recollection of making "Tomorrow" promo video

full
Zack Snyder is interviewed in the new issue of Esquire magazine and is asked about Moz since he of course directed the fantastic “Tomorrow” music video:

ESQ: I have to ask you an aside question, since you mentioned hand-held camera work. You directed that old 1994 Morrissey video for "Tomorrow", right?

Snyder: I sure did.

ESQ: It's one of the great one-take videos.

Zack Snyder: I appreciate that. And there is a cut version of that video too. By the way, when I made that video I remember, I think it was Vanity Fair wrote an article about a Brian De Palma movie, where there was a big super long one-take. And they were saying that the Morrissey video I did was cooler than that. And I remember at the time thinking that that was so cool that I was referenced in relationship to this director's movie who I really admired because I was literally two years out of film school when I shot that video.

ESQ: Did you get along with Morrissey? Did you keep in touch with him?

Snyder: I had a great experience. I loved working with him. He had decided that I was going to shoot all of his videos from then on. But then he ghosted me after that. I don't know what happened.

ESQ: Oh no. Morrissey ghosting the director of his best video seems like a very Morrissey thing to do.

Snyder: Sadly. That was it. It was a sad thing. Because I would have loved to have been Morrissey's creative visualist. I remember I wrote a treatment for him for another song on that album. It was going to be all Giant. You know the movie Giant with James Dean? It was a take on it, and he was going to play the James Dean role.

Full interview here:

I wonder which of the Your Arsenal songs was gonna get the Giant treatment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy as he was known in Hollywood then, would hang out at the Shiney Dime in L.A. This queer bar was a few steps down from the sidewalk level, dark, eerie and very lurid. Jimmy was the boy toy then and would perform. Eh Morrissey, sound familiar to the boom boom room in Laguna or did you prefer the dive bar n grill on sunset?

Interesting. I cannot wait for what develops on a Morrissey-zombie mashup.

If Morrissey phoned he'd have to do a video & he hates doing videos.

A director would have to gently stalk him.

Tim Broad was in his social circle.

Moz (solo) did about 7 good videos: Suedehead, November, My Love Life, Tomorrow, Glamorous Glue, Irish Blood, and the EXCELLENT The More You Ignore Me. Having the Snyder on board for some of the other wishy washy videos would have helped. I wonder how a Snyder Moz concert video would look. Not as good as Tim Pope's Cure In Orange. God but that was brilliant.
The best videos are tomorrow and the more you ignore me. The worst is kiss me a lot

Moz (solo) did about 7 good videos: Suedehead, November, My Love Life, Tomorrow, Glamorous Glue, Irish Blood, and the EXCELLENT The More You Ignore Me. Having the Snyder on board for some of the other wishy washy videos would have helped. I wonder how a Snyder Moz concert video would look. Not as good as Tim Pope's Cure In Orange. God but that was brilliant.

I think My Love Life might be the great 'lost' Morrissey single. It gets no love at all and that's a shame.

I watched 'Army of the Dead' yesterday. I confess that zombie movies are not my genre and I haven't watched one for a long time. I was struck by how much of the plot, and even a little bit of dialogue was lifted straight from 'Aliens.' Are all modern zombie movies that violent?

are they zombies or are they infected.zombies move very slowly, infected move very fast like in train to busan.
They're definitely not as fast as the Busan ones. They're just...weird in a Las Vegas way, I s'pose.
I watched 'Army of the Dead' yesterday. I confess that zombie movies are not my genre and I haven't watched one for a long time. I was struck by how much of the plot, and even a little bit of dialogue was lifted straight from 'Aliens.' Are all modern zombie movies that violent?

Well I wouldn't say that was a violent one. You get more zombie scares from your average Walking Dead episode. Or from your average Morrissey video. :straightface:
Tbh, it lacked a bit of everything to be memorable.
You've got all kinds of zombie films. Zombie comedy, zombie drama...You've got zombie nazis, zombie in-laws, zombie pets...there's even a zombie flick with Schwarzie...Maybe watch "Shaun of the Dead" before "Dawn of the Dead."
;)

They're definitely not as fast as the Busan ones. They're just...weird in a Las Vegas way, I s'pose.

Well I wouldn't say that was a violent one. You get more zombie scares from your average Walking Dead episode. Or from your average Morrissey video. :straightface:
Tbh, it lacked a bit of everything to be memorable.
You've got all kinds of zombie films. Zombie comedy, zombie drama...You've got zombie nazis, zombie in-laws, zombie pets...there's even a zombie flick with Schwarzie...Maybe watch "Shaun of the Dead" first to see if you can cope with "Dawn of the Dead."
;)

Unfortunately I find the prospect of watching two hours of Simon Pegg much less enticing than two hours of people's jaws being pulled off.

Unfortunately I find the prospect of watching two hours of Simon Pegg much less enticing than two hours of people's jaws being pulled off.
Oh dear. I see. Mmm. Well I recently watched "28 days later" again...It's not bad...Unless of course you've got something against Cillian...

Oh dear. I see. Mmm. Well I recently watched "28 days later" again...It's not bad...Unless of course you've got something against Cillian...
No, Cillian passes muster. I did see "28 Days Later" also a long time ago. I recollect that not much happens in that film. Unless I'm confusing it with 'Sunshine.'

No, Cillian passes muster. I did see "28 Days Later" also a long time ago. I recollect that not much happens in that film. Unless I'm confusing it with 'Sunshine.'
Yes, first time I saw it it didn't strike me as particularly eventful either, but, I don't know, during Lockdown, seeing Cillian and his plastic bag wandering in an empty London, ...it just took another dimension, y'know?

If you fear being bored I'd recommend "Braindead" ...but it all depends if you like custard and want to keep eating it.

Yes, first time I saw it it didn't strike me as particularly eventful either, but, I don't know, during Lockdown, seeing Cillian and his plastic bag wandering in an empty London, ...it just took another dimension, y'know?

If you fear being bored I'd recommend "Braindead" ...but it all depends if you like custard and want to keep eating it.

Thanks, I'll suggest it for our next family film night.

Moz just posted a video made by someone extracted of a taxi driver ,with the theme of Moz i'm not sorry.... I loved that, movie Taxi driver!!!!and i'm not sorry!!!

I rewatched this a few months ago and I can't bring myself to watch it again. I like the DIY approach, passing by the record label and going out there alone, but this is just... well, it speaks for itself. Too bad, even for Morrissey.

His worst video? For sure. Then Chain Gang.
I thought this video was a parody

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom