Your latest Morrissey/Smiths buy

A couple of rare cassettes...

1. Viva Hate - Saudi Arabian
2. Strangeways, Here We Come - European WEA re-release with green text (top left)

It is widely known that some original Rough Trade cassettes had the band name and album title printed in green, what we didn't know is that this WEA re-release is also available with green text.

View attachment 11557 View attachment 11558

I like that Saudi Viva Hate. I got one last year. I also have the Saudi part II Cassette of "Louder Than Bombs". I wish I could find part I

That Saudi Thomson tape me smile. We used to live in Riyadh for a few years and these kind of counterfeit tapes were a godsend in a kinda entertainment free zone. Even better they were super cheap and you would usually get either bonus songs from bsides/singles etc or parts of other albums included. 747 was the major music shop in the centre of town - big sign over the door...NO WOMEN ALLOWED (entertainment is a man thing!). Their tapes had coloured plastic cases, pink blue etc - sometimes seen on ebay. I cant quite remember the price but I think they were about £2. Even better were trips to Bahrain where the tapes were about £1.50 and if you bought nine you got the tenth free. Certainly allowed me to access a lot of things I would not have tried otherwise. Strangely they had massive selections by bizarre people like Sam Fox! (which I did not try btw) Just watching the scenes in Bahrain tonight brought all that back too. Great momento piece.

photo.php

Bad Picture, all 12 smiths indeed issues in excellent quality :)

It may be the Dutch release.... but the French sticker says "Free Sample - can not be sold"
Suggests to me that it was used as a promo in France... or some other French speaking country.

Dave

It may be the Dutch release.... but the French sticker says "Free Sample - can not be sold"
Suggests to me that it was used as a promo in France... or some other French speaking country.

Dave

Anyone can stick a 'free sample / not for sale' sticker on anything they want, in French or any other language.
That doesn't make the item a promo. ;)

Anyone can stick a 'free sample / not for sale' sticker on anything they want, in French or any other language.
That doesn't make the item a promo. ;)

Very True I.R., I remember having seen a very regular Moz cd with such a sticker on it. How on earth can someone do it , just to rip off customers who buy it just for the sake of it....
Cheers Moz

Well the newest addition is the New Zealand release of Hatful To Hollow, circa 1984. Yes friends not only complete with the green and red rtranz label on the vinyl, but a wonderful misprint on the label as well. "Hatful To Hollow" misprinted and thankfully so. Are they all misprinted like this one from New Zealand?? We thought it was a deal at 20usd and grabbed it with no fancy postal charge from down under to boot..... Cheers all...Molly & David G.

I don't have a copy, but according to the bible.... it looks like they were all printed like that

New Zealand LP [CBS RTRANZ009]
Australia and New Zealand releases of other titles on vinyl usually share the same sleeve, but this is not the case for "Hatful Of Hollow". Not only does the sleeve in New Zealand say "Manufactured in New Zealand" on the back, but the label even took a few liberties with the front artwork. Firstly, the stripe on which the title appears is completely white instead of being semi-transparent. This was also done on the Canadian LP and on some early compact disc editions. But only in New Zealand does the black line underlining the name of the band stretch to the whole width of the LP. In addition, returning to the back, the black dot between "Accept Yourself" and "Girl Afraid" is missing, as on early misprinted copies of the UK LP. The sleeve is gatefold. The record is simply slipped inside a round-bottom anti-static sleeve instead of the usual lyrics one. The labels are the green and red man-silhouette ones as in Australia, but the 'Made in Australia' line is not printed at the bottom of them, the text layout is completely different and the album title is misprinted on them as "Hatful To Hollow".

Dave

received this (belated) birthday gift from kewpie today:
roughtradebook.jpg

many thnx!

To quote I.R

Heaven knows I am ecstatic now...

And also now very poor :(

The Smiths - There is a Light That Never Goes Out French 7", first edition (and in my humble opinion the better looking)

This is my fav Smiths release, it's been a long wait, but think it was worth it, it is in gorgeous condition. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 15
Tags
the smiths vinyl
Back
Top Bottom