Your Arsenal

sorry about posting the link wray thought twice. i didnt see my original when i was looking for it and just figured i forgot to post it. you can get a two for one deal one the link wray robert gordan records chickpea and i would highly recommend them. yeah it was sad when he died and didnt get much attention for his achievements. same with johnny winter who is a fabulous guitar player as well. only the diehard guitarists seemed to take notice. at least cale is getting some attention who was also fantastic.

No worries, I really appreciate the recommendation! I listened to some of the Robert Gordon stuff on YouTube last night after you mentioned it, and it's right up my alley. I can't believe I've never heard of him. Turns out my husband has Gordon's Tuff Darts record, which I'd also never listened to before! Very Television-ish.

Speaking of the reissue....I am bad with this, but what are the main differences between the single mix of “Tomorrow” (which is on the reissue) and the original? To my ears at least when I did them back to back it just seems like the vocals on the single mix are “clearer”. Thoughts?

The Steve Peck single mix is noticeably brasher and louder. Not as swampy as Ronson's treatment. It also features the full vocal track as opposed to the fadeout on Morrissey's voice that the LP version has. And a longer piano outtro. There is another mix that I believe was used in the video which is the Steve Peck single mix but which completely omits the piano outtro.

cool chickpea. robert is from d.c im pretty sure and im close to there so it just kinda came on my radar by accident. john waters is a big rockabilly fan and i remember red hot being in pink flamingos and i looked it up and got gordons version.

As much as Morrissey has a great crooner voice I think his voice just fits the rockabilly sound perfectly. Who knows maybe he'll surprise with the direction of the next record lol... After all Boz is the musical director.

I’m amazed that people don’t like “We hate it when our friends become successful” and “You’re the one for me, fatty”. I love both.

Some truly great songs on it : “We hate it when our friends become successful” “You’re the one for me, fatty” "You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side" "Seasick, Yet Still Docked" but not one of my favourite.....I think Vauxhall and YOR are his best efforts. Difficult for me to say which one is better. Mind you, I "only" discovered Moz 10 years ago when YATQ was released so I may well appreciate more his latest Albums....

Cheers Moz

I’m amazed that people don’t like “We hate it when our friends become successful” and “You’re the one for me, fatty”. I love both.

The album already has an upbeat song on it with 'Certain People', which is cleverly judged sequencing after 'National Front Disco'. Following it with the sickly 'We Hate It When This Song Becomes So Suckful" is just too much though. Such a lame song - one of those meta-numbers where Morrissey tries to poke a bit of fun at himself but it just comes off wrong.

'Fatty' is a bouncy anthemic thing, which would be fine if he had remembered to put some lyrics in. It doesn't go anywhere apart from the title - something that sadly is a common trait of solo Morrissey. Here, that fault is distilled to its essence.

If you delete both these tracks, the album's shorter but much more focused and powerful for it - rather than interrupting the album for 3 lightweight numbers, you only get 1 and it works so much better as a result.

Last edited:
i love fatty. its so joyously catchy with the harmony in the chorus and we hate it.. has some great hooks that are very hard to not sing aloud like look at those clothes look at that vase its so old. i do it all the time.seasick is the one i tend to skip as its alright but kinda stops the flow of the record for me and i always cant seem to wait patiently for tomorrow pun intended.

i love fatty. its so joyously catchy with the harmony in the chorus and we hate it.. has some great hooks that are very hard to not sing aloud like look at those clothes look at that vase its so old. i do it all the time.seasick is the one i tend to skip as its alright but kinda stops the flow of the record for me and i always cant seem to wait patiently for tomorrow pun intended.

How strange.

why, by track eight i start to get a little antsy for tomorrow as its one of my fav songs on the album. whats strange about that? do we just disasgree. seasick and i know.. slow the pace down thats picked back up by the song tomorrow.

This album is highly regarded, sure, but I don't think it sits on the pedestal that it deserves to.

Fun fact: The album earned a Grammy (when those actually meant something) nomination for Best Alternative Music Album but lost to Tom Waits "Bone Machine"

other nominees:

The B-52s – Good Stuff

The Cure – Wish

XTC – Nonsuch

Fun fact: The album earned a Grammy (when those actually meant something) nomination for Best Alternative Music Album but lost to Tom Waits "Bone Machine"

other nominees:

The B-52s – Good Stuff

The Cure – Wish

XTC – Nonsuch

Cool I knew it was nominated but never knew who he was up against.

Should have won...

The album already has an upbeat song on it with 'Certain People', which is cleverly judged sequencing after 'National Front Disco'. Following it with the sickly 'We Hate It When This Song Becomes So Suckful" is just too much though. Such a lame song - one of those meta-numbers where Morrissey tries to poke a bit of fun at himself but it just comes off wrong.

'Fatty' is a bouncy anthemic thing, which would be fine if he had remembered to put some lyrics in. It doesn't go anywhere apart from the title - something that sadly is a common trait of solo Morrissey. Here, that fault is distilled to its essence.

If you delete both these tracks, the album's shorter but much more focused and powerful for it - rather than interrupting the album for 3 lightweight numbers, you only get 1 and it works so much better as a result.

The two songs you'd like to eliminate are the two he picked to represent the album. So, it was never gonna happen.(They are my least favorite also) - but, your glass will forever be half empty, as you would much rather focus on what you dislike (and why you're right) than what you do like.

In my opinion, it was his first great studio album. Viva Hate has a few duds, and Kill Uncle has a few more.

Also, You're The One for Me is one of the best songs on the album. It's a song you either love or hate, with no in between.

Back
Top Bottom