YoR cover on The Guardian

nice article.
nice -solo- mention.
double nice :D

Monique

, stating that the child is the result of a union between Morrissey and Mariah Carey.

:sick::sick::sick:

pic subtitle^
Morrissey: "Can't a guy clutch a child with letters scrawled on its face without people looking for hidden messages?"
NOOO!:p not morrissey;)

Last edited:
The jaw is set firm, the chin high and proud, the shoulders defiantly back, the short sleeves tighter than Faris Rotter's drainpipes. Morrissey's pose on the sleeve art for his 2009 album Years of Refusal smacks of many of his usual artwork obsessions – a celebration of his fine fiftysomething physique, a nod to the romance of the bit-of-rough, an archaic Englishness encapsulated in that swish of iconic 50s quiffure. But hanging from the end of his right arm, clutched to his belly like a football, is an item a world away from Mozzer's confirmed bachelorism: a gurgling wee sprog.

Admittedly the man who sang Will Never Marry in the early 90s couldn't look less comfortable. Since his emergence from rock retirement in 2004 the objects Morrissey has chosen to feature on his album sleeves have spoken volumes; clues directed to his notoriously obsessive fanbase as to his current state of mind. His wielding of a tommy gun on the cover of 2004's You Are the Quarry signified his take-no-prisoners creative fight back; the violin he played on the sleeve of 2006's Ringleader of the Tormentors was suggestive of a more harmonious mood on his move to Rome. So what does a cheery nipper signify? A secret love child? A reluctant acceptance, after Years of Refusal, of his biological urge to procreate?

Morrissey-solo.com is alight with interpretations. Some believe Moz is mocking the concept of parenthood, having often proclaimed it pointless. Others claim he's embracing his inner child. Those hidden-meaning seekers for whom life is one long Da Vinci Code point to the W on the baby's forehead as an upside down M, stating that the child is the result of a union between Morrissey and Mariah Carey. No, say yet more, the M is in fact a butterfly which, linked to the caterpillar tattoo on his forearm, celebrates the miracle of reproduction even if (from the disdainful expression) it obviously isn't Moz's cup of tea. Poppycock, say an alarmingly large proportion of posters to threads called things like He's Touching The Baby's Penis!, he just looks like a creepy old child molester. "I liked Moz a lot better when he was flirting with fascism," posts one contributor, terrifyingly, "this whole baybee thing is vile."

The Moz apologist in me wants to read into it a sign of pop's eternal teenager begrudgingly accepting maturity, an awkward sort of settling, albeit one that would probably never involve fatherhood.

The fact is, babies have rarely, if ever, been used on album artwork for cute factor alone. Nevermind's water tot was grasping for the dollar in reference to our inherent consumerism; Chumbawamba's Anarchy sleeve shot of a grumpy baby mid-birth was all about shock value. Feel free to list below the innocent album cot-shots I've forgotten, but the vast majority of dribbling, record-sleeve newborns hide a nappyful of steaming hidden agendas.

Fiftysomething? Oh dear. Moz will not like that.
The point the writer makes above about Moz accepting a certain kind of maturity is interesting however I think he's making a statement of maturity in reverse - the child being the butterfly and he being the caterpillar.

But then agian, I dunno

Mark Beaumont is an NME journalist and has been a big Moz fan for many years.
Guess he doesn't get to write Morrissey articles in the NME any more!

I'm in the newspaper! I'm in the newspaper! I'm in the newsp-

Oh wait the internet version. And he quoted me but... didn't mention my name. :p:p:p ..."Oh, again?":p

"Life, One long da Vinci code"!!!:p Oh Mark, you have no idea how long:

Shall we talk about Elmer Fudd on that YATQ cover then?

View attachment 6914

Oh by the way, it usually takes two to have a baby! A male and a photographer. But I feel you're not ready for that explanation yet...:p

Where is the thread, He's Touching The Baby's Penis! at? :rolleyes: :p

I'm in the newspaper! I'm in the newspaper! I'm in the newsp-

Oh by the way, it usually takes two to have a baby! A male and a photographer. But I feel you're not ready for that explanation yet...:p

Interesting, Barking. The baby's identity remains a mystery. I was wondering if there are any photographs available of Morrissey at that very young age?

This morning, I woke up, and thought of Mark Beaumont...

Mark Beaumont, who, unbeknownst to himself, as Britney Spears would say, was closer to the Truth than any other Morrissey-obsessed male journalist, and...completely passed it by.

I salute you, Mark Beaumont, not only because my jokes and innuendos probably completely went over your head, but also because you didn't mention my name, saving me the exciting embarrassment of being sued by Mariah Carey.

I salute the way you over-simplified everything to achieve probably the finest example of lazy journalism ever.

I salute the way you bravely misquoted anonymous people to make them pass for a daft obsessive virtual crowd, when in reality you'd run away if some of you said "me, you, outside! I.Q test".

I salute you because you managed to find employment at the Guardian, when I wouldn't have paid you a penny for all that hard work.

Finally, I salute you because you gave me a unique insight of what it's like having to deal with a journalist.

Now I understand where Morrissey's superiority complex comes from.

The simple, childish joy of feeling you know something the person who claims to know you will never find out, that he must have often experienced when talking to your dumb colleagues, could easily go to your head.

It's not much, but at times in life when you have nothing to keep you entertained, it does make you chuckle.

As you didn't crack the "code", I'll kindly conclude with this South- Korean proverb:

"Behind every famous pig with lipstick on, there's a pitbull."​

(No, didn't think you would get that one either, otherwise I wouldn't have said it.)

Thanks for making me laugh, Mark.

You have yourself a good week-end now.;)

Mwah!

Back
Top Bottom