Years of Refusal #2 Thursday update

I suspect that he'll end up at #3 or #4 due to the Brit Awards, which people very bizarrely take as a barometre of quality. Kings Of Leon and Lady GaGa, currently at 3 & 4, had a massive mid-week audience which will probably send them up, up, up.

Still good, as long as sales are decent.

Maybe we can appeal to those friends of ours still thinking about making the YOR purchase, to do so quick!!!

This is an interesting site:

http://www.chartstats.com/artistinfo.php?id=211

Just goes to show by what a huge distance Viva Hate, Quarry & Ringleader are his most successful albums, compilations included. Everything from Bona Drag to Maladjusted paid only the most fleeting visit to the charts. Your Arsenal barely outdid Southpaw Grammar and Vauxhall & I's #1 looks impressive but it was achieved on a very, very low sales week, if I recall correctly. And it soon disappeared forever.

Last edited:
... Vauxhall & I's #1 looks impressive but it was achieved on a very, very low sales week, if I recall correctly. And it soon disappeared forever.

It officially stands as the UK number 1 with the shortest chart run in the UK top 75.

UK number 1 albums with only 5 weeks in the top 75:

Morrissey - Vauxhall & I
Little Angels - Jam
Iron Maiden - Fear Of The Dark
Steve Brookstein - Heart And Soul

Bloody hell. Lily Allen? What the hell is it with people these days? What utter dross, to be polite. How can people stand listening to that utter drivel. Seriously its depressing the state the music industry is in. But I suppose, in a way, its typical Morrissey. Shunned again by the mainstream, but he's not mainstream, that's why we love him. Well, one of the reasons!

So, so unfortunate. I just had a peek at the iTunes album chart. Disappointing.

Haha! I'm afraid Maurice, that for every person who has a good taste in music there's at least another 23 complete morons who buy whatever the NME and such like instruct them to. Thats the sad reality :(

I've just read that Kings Of Leon may well be overtaking him come tomorrow. Apparently they've been given quite a boost by their performance at the shit awards and could be in for the overall top-spot come Sunday.

I would find it their popularity baffling, but such anodyne stadium rock was popular when the likes of REO Speedwagon and Foreigner were peddling it and it's no different now.

Elbow will overtake by Sunday as well, and Morrissey may find himself out of the top 5. It'll still shift far more first week than Your Arsenal and Vauxhall & I did, so anyone making snide comments about the relation of quality to sales will have flan in their face.

Last edited:
I've just read that Kings Of Leon may well be overtaking him come tomorrow. Apparently they've been given quite a boost by their performance at the shit awards and could be in for the overall top-spot come Sunday.

I would find it their popularity baffling, but such anodyne stadium rock was popular when the likes of REO Speedwagon and Foreigner were peddling it and it's no different now.

Elbow will overtake by Sunday as well, and Morrissey may find himself out of the top 5. It'll still shift far more first week than Your Arsenal and Vauxhall & I did, so anyone making snide comments about the relation of quality to sales will have flan in their face.

oh! NO,this can't be. I still have to purchase my vinyl copy but I don't live in the UK. If I buy it from amazon.UK does it count? (I always though so, but not sure now )

oh! NO,this can't be. I still have to purchase my vinyl copy but I don't live in the UK. If I buy it from amazon.UK does it count? (I always though so, but not sure now )

It's down to 3 in the Friday midweeks, with some Brit-winners hot on its heels, so it could well drop a few more places.

His worst debut since Maladjusted debuted at 8 in 1997, now let's hope sales figures are not too disappointing...

Albums

1 Kings Of Leon
2 Lily Allen
3 Morrissey
4 Duffy
5 Lady GaGa

Top 10
Killers
Seasick Steve
Fleet Foxes
Elbow

The thing that always amuses me about these big 'award' ceremonies is that they invariably go to people who have sold a lot of records in the preceeding year (and lined the pockets of they who distribute the trinkets...) but seeing them "validated" by being handed a piece of metal by lawyers & record company executives makes people believe that they simply must have this album by this person and that is a pressing need for them to possess it immediately.

I'm thinking 40 - 45k in sales, which is to be expected given the amount of traffic around at the moment. I had forgotten about the Brit Awards, but it seems like an increasingly peculiar decision by Polydor to put it out this week. Knowing Morrissey's apparent discontent with this sort of thing, the next album may well be on a different label.

Last edited:
Charts are a tightrope. It's all about the Saturday sales really, when the Mums and Dads of the world go to Tesco and buy their bi-annual album - its just whether this will be Mozzer or Lily Allen? I've got faith that Moz will win out on Saturday with the parents, but who knows really

The thing that always amuses me about these big 'award' ceremonies is that they invariably go to people who have sold a lot of records in the preceeding year (and lined the pockets of they who distribute the trinkets...) but seeing them "validated" by being handed a piece of metal by lawyers & record company executives makes people believe that they simply must have this album by this person and that is a pressing need for them to possess it immediately.

Yes, which is why it's puzzling that they also gave an award to Paul Weller (best British male I think), who didn't sell that much last year (although considerably more than Mozzer ever will), and is also nowhere to be seen in the midweeks...

I'm thinking 40 - 45k in sales, which is to be expected given the amount of traffic around at the moment. I had forgotten about the Brit Awards, but it seems like an increasingly peculiar decision by Polydor to put it out this week. Knowing Morrissey's apparent discontent with this sort of thing, the next album may well be on a different label.

I think that would be a good guess :)

I think Paul Weller got the award because they couldn't think of anyone else quite frankly. It's not like the charts are full of of solo male artists these days is it? It seems to be either male indie bands or female pop artists.

Back
Top Bottom