Kill Uncle - Asian Rut
Your Arsenal - Glam Glue
Vauxhall & I - Used To Be A Sweet Boy
Southpaw Grammar - Do Your Best and Don't Worry
Maladjusted - Papa Jack
You Are The Quarry - You Know I Couldn't Last
Ringleader Of The Tormentors - Boy Happy
Years Of Refusal - You Were Good In Your Time

Ok, finished my 'Worst' List. I have come to the conclusion that: Morrissey does not make bad songs. Morrissey is a genius. Morrissey is beautiful. I love Morrissey.

(But Papa Jack is still a bit boring and When Last I Spoke To Carol is irritating)

(but good at the same time)

xx

I don't think of most of them as having a worst song. Back when I was listening to The Smiths a lot every song had something that made it interesting. It's not until Maladjusted that there are things I don't want to listen to.

The Smiths - Suffer Little Children
Meat Is Murder - Meat is murder
The Queen Is Dead - I know it's over
Strangeways Here We Come - I won't share you
Viva Hate - Break up the family
Kill Uncle - Driving your girlfriend home
Your Arsenal - I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday
Vauxhall & I - The Lazy Sunbathers
Southpaw Grammar - Dagenham Dave
Maladjusted - Papa Jack
You Are The Quarry - All the lazy dykes
Ringleader Of The Tormentors - I'll never be anyone's hero now
Years Of Refusal - When Last I Spoke To Carol

I don't think of most of them as having a worst song. Back when I was listening to The Smiths a lot every song had something that made it interesting. It's not until Maladjusted that there are things I don't want to listen to.

I generally agree. Apart from Meat is Murder, The Smiths albums don't have any songs that make me reach for the skip button automatically. The "worst" I chose are just my least favourites.

The Smiths: Reel around the fountain
Hatful of Hollow: Reel around the fountain
Meat Is Murder: Rusholme ruffians
The Queen Is Dead: Frankly, Mr. Shankly
The World Won't Listen: Oscillate wildly
Louder Than Bombs: Golden Lights
Strangeways, Here We Come: Death at one's elbow
Viva Hate: The ordinary boys
Bona Drag: Ouija Board, Ouija Board
Kill Uncle: Sing your life
Your Arsenal: You're The One For Me, Fatty
Vauxhall and I: There aren't any, but if I have to choose it's "I am hated for loving"
Maladjusted: Ammunition
You Are The Quarry: How can anybody possibly know how i feel?
Ringleader of the Tormentors: I just want to see the boy happy
Years of Refusal: I'm OK by myself

Last edited:
Can't believe all the hating on You've Got Everything Now! It's up there with my favourite Smiths songs!

Same here! I love that song. One of my favorites. As well as "I Know It's Over". I used to skip right over it, now it's one of my favorite songs on the album and ranked high up there. As well as "Never Had No One Ever". Love that song.

Viva Hate: I don't mind if you forget me
Bona Drag: no weak tracks here
Kill Uncle: no weak tracks again
Your Arsenal: You're The One For Me, Fatty
Vauxhall and I: definitely no weak tracks
Southpaw Grammar: Dagenham Dave
Maladjusted: Papa Jack
You Are The Quarry: How can anybody possibly know how i feel?
Ringleader of the Tormentors: I'll never be anybody's hero now
Years of Refusal: That's how people grow up

Good question, hard to answer for some of the albums but here goes:

The Smiths - You've Got Everything Now-boring
Meat Is Murder - How Soon Is Now-overated
The Queen Is Dead - The Queen Is Dead-No Interest in british politics
Strangeways Here We Come - Death At One's Elbow-like it but weakest.
Viva Hate - Margaret On The Guillotine-No Interest in british politics
Kill Uncle - The Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye-Boring!
Your Arsenal - National Front Disco-Love the music, lyrics are isolated.
Vauxhall & I - Billy Budd-No Interest in british politics
Southpaw Grammar - The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils-Too Long!
Maladjusted - Ambitious Outsiders-Too Slow
You Are The Quarry - Come BAck To Camden-Never Been There
Ringleader Of The Tormentors - I Will See You in Far-Off Places-does not fit the rest of the album.
Years Of Refusal - When Last I Spoke to Carol

Agreed! This thread is wrong on too many levels! Some people are actually claiming "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" is the "worst" song on Meat Is Murder...

that is a joke.. Meat is Murder is the worst song by a few light-years.

that is a joke.. Meat is Murder is the worst song by a few light-years.

The album version was mildly lame in my opinion. It was too... I guess 'calm' for the subject matter. But the awesomeness of the live versions makes up for that, I think! :lbf:

The Smiths - Hand In Glove (I listen to Sandie Shaw's vocal more often than the album version.)
Meat Is Murder - Meat Is Murder (I think the studio version is fairly mild compared to the live version.)
The Queen Is Dead - Never Had No-One Ever (I don't mind this track, but I also only listen to it when I'm going fully through The Queen Is Dead.)
Strangeways Here We Come - Death At One's Elbow (I love this track, but it's weak when compared to the other pieces on the album.)
Viva Hate - Little Man, What Now (I'm not fond of the arrangement of this, and it's a very weak track.)
Kill Uncle - The Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye (This is the only Morrissey track from an album that I will always hit skip on.)
Your Arsenal - You're The One For Me, Fatty (I like the arrangement of this, but the lyrics make me cringe.)
Vauxhall & I - Spring-Heeled Jim (I like this, but it feels a bit heavy on the samples to me when I listen to it.)
Southpaw Grammar - Original: The Boy Racer (This track doesn't really do much for me, though I'll sing along with it and laugh at how it reminds me of a boy I used to know.) / Reissue: Fantastic Bird (I don't mind the track, but I fail to see how it goes along with the rest of the album.)
Maladjusted - Original: Papa Jack (A fairly boring track, in my opinion; at least I find Roy's Keen catchy.) / Reissue: The Edges Are No Longer Parallel (This song really, really doesn't speak to me.)
You Are The Quarry - The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores (Terrible lyrics. :/)
Ringleader Of The Tormentors - On The Streets I Ran (I'll skip this one about a third of the time it comes up. Fairly boring to me.)
Years Of Refusal - You Were Good In Your Time (The ending killed it for me.)

Back
Top Bottom