Why the hate on 'Papa Jack'

Trouble loves me is probably the best song on there and yes lost was foolishly made a bside but I love alma matters ammunition ambitious outsiders (taboo subject matter rarely a disqualifier for me) Satan rejected my soul he cried and wide to receive. Sorrow will come in the end is interesting to me though I of course don’t love it as a song or track. The songs I really don’t like are the title track and papa jack. Even Roy’s keen was at least super catchy

Trouble loves me is probably the best song on there and yes lost was foolishly made a bside but I love alma matters ammunition ambitious outsiders (taboo subject matter rarely a disqualifier for me) Satan rejected my soul he cried and wide to receive. Sorrow will come in the end is interesting to me though I of course don’t love it as a song or track. The songs I really don’t like are the title track and papa jack. Even Roy’s keen was at least super catchy

You may already be aware, but Lost wasn't exactly "made a b-side". It was recorded too late for the album so they had no choice with that one.

You may already be aware, but Lost wasn't exactly "made a b-side". It was recorded too late for the album so they had no choice with that one.

The real question is why Morrissey thought that Maladjusted would be fine with the songs he recorded it, while superior efforts from the sessions were shelved or relegated as b-sides. With songs like Lost just waiting around the corner it would have been wise to not settle for the original tracklisting and continue the sessions.

I think Jamie’s told me that before but I guess my point is that yes it’s a better song than some of the other on maladjusted

I was the same with ALL THE LAZY DYKES then one day it just clicked and now I think its great and play it all the time.

I was the same with ALL THE LAZY DYKES then one day it just clicked and now I think its great and play it all the time.
Really? I think it's shit, especially from a sexual fence-sitter like Morrissey. He may as well have called it "All the feisty f*****s."

The real question is why Morrissey thought that Maladjusted would be fine with the songs he recorded it, while superior efforts from the sessions were shelved or relegated as b-sides. With songs like Lost just waiting around the corner it would have been wise to not settle for the original tracklisting and continue the sessions.

Presumably they weren't written at the time the album was recorded, but slightly later. Those later sessions for those B-Sides (was it Danton Supple producing?) produced some absolute gems. I know the label had already paid for the 'main' album session, but if I'd heard those new songs of that quality coming in as B-Sides, I might have said to Moz - "Hang on - maybe we ought to rethink the tracklisting here, and switch some stuff around."

Presumably they weren't written at the time the album was recorded, but slightly later. Those later sessions for those B-Sides (was it Danton Supple producing?) produced some absolute gems. I know the label had already paid for the 'main' album session, but if I'd heard those new songs of that quality coming in as B-Sides, I might have said to Moz - "Hang on - maybe we ought to rethink the tracklisting here, and switch some stuff around."

Indeed. I don't remember the source, but I recall reading that the b-sides were recorded during the spring of 1997, well before the album was released. Many albums have their tracklistings changed just before release, so it seems stupid that they stuck to the original line-up of songs. But then, that has always been Morrissey's way. He seems to prefer putting albums together quickly, never mind the consequences, which sometimes results in ill-advised decisions like Kill Uncle and Southpaw Grammar.

Indeed. I don't remember the source, but I recall reading that the b-sides were recorded during the spring of 1997, well before the album was released. Many albums have their tracklistings changed just before release, so it seems stupid that they stuck to the original line-up of songs. But then, that has always been Morrissey's way. He seems to prefer putting albums together quickly, never mind the consequences, which sometimes results in ill-advised decisions like Kill Uncle and Southpaw Grammar.

And oddly enough, the Maladjusted tracklisting was changed a few times before release. I Know Who I Love was replaced by Wide To Receive and of course Sorrow Will Come was dropped from the UK album at the last minute. Lost was, I think, supposedly recorded July 97 and Maladjusted was released early August. So presumably it was just too late to include these songs.

Good point, Flibberty. People also ask why he didn't include "Ganglord" on Ringleader, when in reality it was recorded post-Ringleader in early 2006 at Matt Walker's first studio session with the band (which also spawned "If You Don't Like Me..." and "A Song From Under the Floorboards").

Thanks to this thread, I have re-discovered Maladjusted. On it's release, it didn't really move me and I soon got bored with it. But playing the original and the 2009 re-release all this week, I actually really like it. Papa Jack is a fine song, certainly better than Roy's Keen and Satan. While those two lightweights were singles when the album contained far superior songs is a mystery.

Back
Top Bottom