Why does Morrissey hate David Beckham?

realitybites

making lemonade
I can't figure out why. Envy is all I can come up with.

I'd like to hear what you guys think is the reason. I mean, what did Beckham do to him or anybody? He was a popular Manchester footballer. He is successful like Morrissey. He is talented and industrious, like Morrissey. They are both handsome with a huge fan base. Seems they have more similarities than differences.

His wrath seems completely unprovoked and unwarranted. It can't be because he eats meat, can it? It has to be because Beckham is/was a media darling. It has to be envy, no?

I find Morrissey's comments about Beckham to be ridiculous. Makes him look petty. Anybody else agree?

IMHO, Morrissey thinks Beckhams are very much like Madonna.

They know how to use media and make money out of it.

Beckham was born and raised in London, not a Manchester footballer.
He is a former Manchester United player.

In 2000, Victoria was eager to get a number one single, but she didn't get support from the British audience.
She is the only one Spice Girl who does not have a number one as a solo.
She has fame, fortune and trophy hubby, but not much talent as a singer.

I simply don't understand how come Morrissey dislikes George Alagiah (BBC news reader).
However, I remember he criticised Fiona Armstrong (former ITV news reader) in 80s, he seems to dislike certain type of TV journalists.

Last edited:
IMHO, Morrissey thinks Beckhams are very much like Madonna.

They know how to use media and make money out of it.

I simply don't understand how come Morrissey dislikes George Alagiah (BBC news reader).
However, I remember he criticised Fiona Armstrong (former ITV news reader) in 80s, he seems to dislike certain type of TV journalists.

Isn't that what Morrissey wishes he could do? Takes me back to the envy thing.

For starters he married a Spice Girl. :straightface: That would be like if a prominent respected female athlete like Venus Williams married a Backstreet Boy.

For starters he married a Spice Girl.
That would be like if a prominent respected female athlete like Venus Williams married a Backstreet Boy.

It's not a new thing.
Do you remember Andre Agassi married to Brooke Shields?

It's not a new thing.

Brooke Shields is a professional model and contributed to charitable causes with sincerity. Posh is a manufactured celebrity inserted into a band because her looks fit the profile some suit in a boardroom devised to make money off screaming little girls. If I were an avid tennis fan I'd say it cheapened the sport that the most prominent athlete was courting a celebutard. I could be wrong.

For starters he married a Spice Girl. :straightface: That would be like if a prominent respected female athlete like Venus Williams married a Backstreet Boy.

But do any of those artists warrant such vitriol being directed at them? I don't like SG or BSB. But It doesn't mean I thus hate the members of those groups, as individuals.

He really hates Beckham. Almost every time he writes one of his TTY rants, Beckam is mentioned. I understand the reasons he dislikes Thatcher. That is political. Ideologies are involved. But with Beckham... it can't be about music tastes. That seems so shallow.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not a new thing.

Yeah, and John McEnroe married Tatum O'Neil.

I've witnessed the rise of Spicegirls and Beckham, I can understand Morrissey's feeling towards them.

Seeing massive amount of media coverage of them in last 18 years, I don't think they are worthy for such treatment.

Even Alex Ferguson disapproved of Beckham's extra activities.

Sadly one thing is sure that they will be always in the media spotlight for next 50 years unless some unexpected incident writes them off.

Last edited:
i think it probably has something to do with their ubiquity and their place in tabloid "journalism". pretty much what kewpie was saying i think.

he brings them up as a negative influence for the same reason most sane people in the states view the kardashians as a blight and a poor representation. david beckham may have once been known for his skills on the pitch but is now just another celebrity who, along with his wife, is just a famous face. they're vacuous and have nothing to say and millions and millions of people look up to them. it's disgusting.

Maybe it's because he wastes his fame. He doesn't use his fame as a backdrop for a greater genuine cause? Beckham could influence a lot of people to be better people and instead he sits and looks beautiful and rakes in the dough so he can stick his wiener in another beautiful person and produce too many beautiful kids who do nothing but be beautiful.

I think you're mistaking his hatred of vanity for envy.

Maybe it's because he wastes his fame. He doesn't use his fame as a backdrop for a greater genuine cause? Beckham could influence a lot of people to be better people and instead he sits and looks beautiful and rakes in the dough so he can stick his wiener in another beautiful person and produce too many beautiful kids who do nothing but be beautiful.

I think you're mistaking his hatred of vanity for envy.

Beckhams are media savvy, they do alot of charity work like Royal Family.

Two weeks ago they donated their outfit for British Red Cross.

Yes, you are right about vanity.

i think it probably has something to do with their ubiquity and their place in tabloid "journalism". pretty much what kewpie was saying i think.

he brings them up as a negative influence for the same reason most sane people in the states view the kardashians as a blight and a poor representation. david beckham may have once been known for his skills on the pitch but is now just another celebrity who, along with his wife, is just a famous face. they're vacuous and have nothing to say and millions and millions of people look up to them. it's disgusting.

But at least Beckham is/was a highly skilled and talented athlete. And while Victoria may not be as talented as her husband, she isn't quite as bad as Kim Kardashian, who seems to be famous for being famous. I would think Paris Hilton would be a better example than Beckham. But maybe he tries to stick with attacking people from the UK--except for Obama, that is.

i think the kardashian comparison is fine. victoria beckhma is famous for being famous. her fame beginning because she was part of a manufactured pop group as opposed to banging some guy on camera makes no difference.

she has never produced a single thing of note that came from her own mind. if you have ever enjoyed a spice girls song then that's fine, but suggesting that she had anything to do with that is nonsense. thousand of other women could have taken her place and it would make no difference.

another reason why i think the kardashian comparison is apposite is the far more talented husband.

whether you like kanye west or not, he is the david beckham of that relationship.

I can't figure out why. Envy is all I can come up with.

I'd like to hear what you guys think is the reason. I mean, what did Beckham do to him or anybody? He was a popular Manchester footballer. He is successful like Morrissey. He is talented and industrious, like Morrissey. They are both handsome with a huge fan base. Seems they have more similarities than differences.

His wrath seems completely unprovoked and unwarranted. It can't be because he eats meat, can it? It has to be because Beckham is/was a media darling. It has to be envy, no?

I find Morrissey's comments about Beckham to be ridiculous. Makes him look petty. Anybody else agree?[/QUOTE

I think Morrissey finds the Beckham's to cozy/chummy to certain traditional British Institutions for his liking. You just know that either David or Victoria are the kind of celebrity that would kill for a photo opportunity with the royals and when David gets offered his (inevitable) knighthood the word "yes" won't be out of his mouth fast enough. For me too I just find the Beckham's totally fake. Their marriage is by most accounts an absolute nonsense but they endure for the sake of 'the brand.'

No doubt David was a helluva football player and great servant to his country in that regard but the continuous branding that this couple indulge in many people find odious to say the least. I remember many years ago when I was living in London one week David & Victoria were complaining about press intrusion and the next week they were on the cover of Hello magazine, "welcome to our lovely house!"

Urghh.

i think the kardashian comparison is fine. victoria beckhma is famous for being famous. her fame beginning because she was part of a manufactured pop group as opposed to banging some guy on camera makes no difference.

she has never produced a single thing of note that came from her own mind. if you have ever enjoyed a spice girls song then that's fine, but suggesting that she had anything to do with that is nonsense. thousand of other women could have taken her place and it would make no difference.

another reason why i think the kardashian comparison is apposite is the far more talented husband.

whether you like kanye west or not, he is the david beckham of that relationship.

Agree with everything you said. It still doesn't explain why he hates David though. Unless you mean he hates him because he married a talentless woman who is famous simply for being married to a famous and talented man. But that would make many wives worthy of his wrath, no?

Think that whole metrosexual thing has anything to do with it?

I've witnessed the rise of Spicegirls and Beckham, I can understand Morrissey's feeling towards them.

Seeing massive amount of media coverage of them in last 18 years, I don't think they are worthy for such treatment.

Even Alex Ferguson disapproved of Beckham's extra activities.

Sadly one thing is sure that they will be always in the media spotlight for next 50 years unless some unexpected incident writes them off.

My confusion must be because I did not witness this as you did. I didn't really know much about Beckham until that movie Bend it Like Beckham came out. Most Americans, shy of football fans, didn't. And the Spice Girls? Well I think I know one song of theirs. Not a fan. Sounds like you guys in England were inundated with all things Beckham. Familiarity does breed contempt.

He's probably jealous Beckham gets to juggle more balls than him...

"Why does Morrissey hate David Beckham? "

A real easy question.
Because it saves the time of getting to know him first.

This bit sums it up best, really. Combine that with the Royals chumminess and it's not hard to see where Morrissey's vitriol comes from. If I happened to be one of his inner circle I'd probably tell him "Let it go," to which he'd probably reply "But it's a source of great enjoyment for me." Fair enough.

...but the continuous branding that this couple indulge in many people find odious to say the least.

Isn't that what Morrissey wishes he could do? Takes me back to the envy thing.

I expect David turned him down. David at least has talent, he may be a media whore but he was a great footballer. Morrissey is jealous as David looks after himself which is more than he has done...He looked 55 at 40 and at 50 whatever looks awful

Tags
jealousmoz
Back
Top Bottom