Why didn't Morrissey write a song directly attacking Trump?

Why hasn’t he done one anti Kier Starmer?

Morrissey was vocal in his support of For Britain and Anne Marie Waters, but what about Trump? Why didn't he write a track attacking the guy that, among other things, set his goons on peaceful Black Lives Matter protesters just so he could pose with a Bible outside a church?
A very naughty journalist wrote an article a while back which contained a load of quotes, and challenged the reader to state whether they were said by Donald Trump or Morrissey. It was alarmingly difficult to tell with some of them, the implication being that the two men actually have quite a lot in common.

Edit - just found the article www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6784898/morrissey-donald-trump-quiz-who-said-it-quote

A very naughty journalist wrote an article a while back which contained a load of quotes, and challenged the reader to state whether they were said by Donald Trump or Morrissey. It was alarmingly difficult to tell with some of them, the implication being that the two men actually have quite a lot in common.

Edit - just found the article www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6784898/morrissey-donald-trump-quiz-who-said-it-quote

They're playing a low trick because they were pissed off at Morrissey for insulting American security by saying it was like a terrorist organisation - too strict.

It might be snark, but it's not MAGA.

You could do the same with Kathy Griffin jokes.

Given several key people have continued to question and berate Trump throughout the 4 years - I would assume he's surrounded by it when touring/recording and is quite at home with their views.

Lyn Boorer, Knutson, Mando & partner all have expressed said, but nowhere near the level of Jesse's sustained retweeting and practically daily anti-Trump posting (as recently as the last 24hrs).

I suspect he wouldn't 'suffer' any of it if he disagreed with them all.

His becoming more low-key and personal circumstances probably explains more the lack of visibly still wanting Trump killed 'in the interest of humanity' as per 2017.

Regards,
FWD.

No evidence of that. He hasn't spoken to the press since 2017 & his Central stuff was UK focused & then drifted off into randomness.

I wouldn't purport to be any kind of categorical authority on the matter. It's just an impression, entirely my own and not based in any particular documentation (as such, I'm aware that it could be inaccurate). Rather, I suppose, it's the lack of documentation that has left me to wonder that his attitude might've softened to some degree—i.e., if Trump's presidency were a particularly enduring sore point, one might expect him to have had more to say about it in some form or other.

If he had adjusted his position on 45 at some point during the feeding frenzy of the past four years (and having himself been subjected to a protracted cancellation campaign during the same period, involving many of the moral crusaders found among the anti-Trump mobs), he wouldn't be the first to have done so. I've noticed such revisions within my own family (specifically, the section of it that resides in the state of Pennsylvania). Given his previously expressed hostility toward Trump, he may feel it inappropriate to suggest that anyone else within his circle reign in their invective toward the dread orange fellow.

This is, of course, all speculation.

If Morrissey's feelings about 45 are as strongly averse as they ever were, it doesn't ultimately bear upon my view of the man. I need not agree with or rationalize his every opinion in order to continue to admire him (which I do). All I ask of him is that he continues to have a mind of his own—and there's more than enough evidence of that being the case, whether his views on Trump happen to align with pop culture consensus or otherwise.

What's more important, I believe, than identifying which political figures Morrissey has or hasn't taken (should or shouldn't take) aim at, is that he has called for the return of open, civil discourse, to replace the assumption, recrimination, righteous grandstanding, jumping down each others' throats and incessant labelling to the point of redundancy that currently prevails in the public square. (Some may find it an ironic plea, given how barbed his tongue and his pen can be, but nevertheless...)

I wouldn't purport to be any kind of categorical authority on the matter. It's just an impression, entirely my own and not based in any particular documentation (as such, I'm aware that it could be inaccurate). Rather, I suppose, it's the lack of documentation that has left me to wonder that his attitude might've softened to some degree—i.e., if Trump's presidency were a particularly enduring sore point, one might expect him to have had more to say about it in some form or other.

If he had adjusted his position on 45 at some point during the feeding frenzy of the past four years (and having himself been subjected to a protracted cancellation attempt during the same period, involving many of the moral crusaders found among the anti-Trump mobs), he wouldn't be the first to have done so. I've noticed it within my own family (specifically, the section of it that resides in the state of Pennsylvania). Given his previously expressed hostility toward Trump, he may feel it inappropriate to suggest that anyone else within his circle reign in their invective toward the dread orange fellow.

This is, of course, all speculation.

If Morrissey's feelings about 45 are as strongly averse as they ever were, it doesn't ultimately bear upon my view of the man. I need not agree with or rationalize his every opinion in order to continue to admire him (which I do). All I ask of him is that he continues to have a mind of his own—and there's more than enough evidence of that being the case, whether his views on Trump happen to align with pop culture consensus or not.

Again, I don't see any signs.

It'd be surprised though - Moz's motivations are completely out of line with pretty much everything in pop culture.

And I can't see him getting past Trump's love of Macdonalds.

20210211_002857.jpg

What's more important, I believe, than identifying which political figures Morrissey has or hasn't taken aim at, is that he has called for the return of open, civil discourse, to replace the assumption, recrimination, righteous grandstanding, jumping down each others' throats and incessant labelling to the point of redundancy that currently prevails in the public square. (Some may find it an ironic plea, given how barbed his tongue and his pen can be, but nevertheless...)

Well, I agree with that.

Labour's just warring factions at the moment.

Our centre is staying home (should say, staying off Zoom) to avoid being shouted at.

Again, I don't see any signs.

Well, I did clarify my impression as something vaguer or intuitive (and possibly off beam), but I don't presume to expect anyone share it.

It'd be surprised though - Moz's motivations are completely out of line with pretty much everything in pop culture.

Yes, that was to say any such alignment would be quite coincidental.

Back
Top Bottom