Why didn't Morrissey write a song directly attacking Trump?

A

Anonymous

Morrissey was vocal in his support of For Britain and Anne Marie Waters, but what about Trump? Why didn't he write a track attacking the guy that, among other things, set his goons on peaceful Black Lives Matter protesters just so he could pose with a Bible outside a church?

Morrissey was vocal in his support of For Britain and Anne Marie Waters, but what about Trump? Why didn't he write a track attacking the guy that, among other things, set his goons on peaceful Black Lives Matter protesters just so he could pose with a Bible outside a church?

He didn't write a song about AMW.

He didn't write a song about AMW.

And we ALL know that. Which is why I never said he did. But why didn't he write a song about Trump?

You see, when one supports someone, they usually vocalise it in some way; Twitter, Instagram, Faecesbook, their own website, their voice while on stage, as Morrissey did with Anne Marie Waters.

But when a songwriter disagrees with something, especially the treatment of other human beings, in a country that they f***ing live in, they usually write a song about it.

Morrissey didn't.

Why is that?

And we ALL know that. Which is why I never said he did. But why didn't he write a song about Trump?

You see, when one supports someone, they usually vocalise it in some way; Twitter, Instagram, Faecesbook, their own website, their voice while on stage, as Morrissey did with Anne Marie Waters.

But when a songwriter disagrees with something, especially the treatment of other human beings, in a country that they f***ing live in, they usually write a song about it.

Morrissey didn't.

Why is that?

He doesn't live in America.

And as there must be HUNDREDS AND THOUSANDS OF SONGS written about Trump by artists who hate him - why would we need another?

Morrissey didn't.

Why is that?
Morrissey has been extremely vocal about his distaste for Trump. He's spoken about Trump much more than he's references AMW or For Britain, so I don't know why you seem to be hinting that he's said a lot in favor of AMW but hasn't said a thing against Trump.
"What about Trump?"
Morrissey-GettyImages-660383662-696x442.jpg

Der spiegel interview at around 7:00- 10:00

Not to mention onstage comments and a few truetoyou posts.

I don't understand the point of this thread. What's your logic here? That if you don't sing about something, you don't really mean it? You're obviously trying to prove something or else you wouldn't post asking this questions that only Morrissey can answer to a forum of of Morrissey fans.
Obviously, I don't know why he hasn't written a song about Trump, but M has made his opinion of Trump crystal clear. He obviously does not sing about everything in the world he disapproves of, nor does he have any obligation to.

Such a silly question. Does everyone have to write songs about everything they dislike? If every artist that dislike Trump were to write a song about it, it would be all we ever heard.
Moz, just like everyone else, writes about whatever the hell he wants, and he doesn’t owe you anything.

Let's face it, 'Margaret on the Guillotine' wasn't much to write home about - maybe he thought he'd spare us this time.

Strange way to think. Does Morrissey have to write a song about every public figure so we know how he feels about them? Why didn’t Morrissey write a song directly attacking Sadiq Khan? Maybe he’s a big fan.

he cant do one for biden,its already been done for a british comedy,its called One Foot In The Grave.

A bit of a missed opportunity - he could have performed 'Asleep' at Joe's inauguration ceremony.

There are numerous public figures on both the left and the right that Morrissey could have written a song about, but hasn't.

Nor has he ever written a song about any US president to the best of my knowledge (not directly anyway).

Why then would anyone expect him to write one about Trump?

He's criticised him in interviews - isn't that enough?

The fact they still misread the lyrics as 'rise' not 'right' seems extra silly considering the context ;)
You’re half-right. They actually read the lyrics correctly, Morrissey does sing ‘rise’ not ‘right’. However the line ‘some bad people on the right’ does feature in the video thanks to an unruly schoolboy/graffiti artist, possibly a young Banksy?

Trumpshifters of the World Unite, you beat me to it.

I suspect that his anti-Trump feelings might've become somewhat tempered as 45's presidency wore on, however. I could well be wrong, bearing in mind that I don't keep track of M's every political utterance, but that's the loose impression I got.

Trumpshifters of the World Unite, you beat me to it.

I suspect that his anti-Trump feelings might've become somewhat tempered as 45's presidency wore on, however. I could well be wrong, bearing in mind that I don't keep track of M's every political utterance, but that's the loose impression I got.

No evidence of that. He hasn't spoken to the press since 2017 & his Central stuff was UK focused & then drifted off into randomness.

Back
Top Bottom