Whose music did you get into first

Whose music did you get into first?

• The Smiths

Votes: 51 60.0%
  • Morrissey

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I got into both @ exactly the same time

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • actually,I am still not really into either, how strange that I come to this site, isn't it?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oh my god. it's Robby!

spontaneously luminescent
smiths-with-flowers.jpg

Now this would have been a silly question back in when I got into the Smiths, because there was no "Morrissey solo" music yet :o
However, many years have gone by and for our younger fans, I can see how its quite possible that they did not get into "The Smiths" first :eek:
morrissey460%255B1%255D.jpg

For me personally, I first encountered this "Morrissey first, Smiths second" phenomena sometime in 1996 :guitar:
See, I had this girlfriend(@ the time) who had been listening to my tapes a lot, particularly the first 4 Moz albums, when she stumbled upon a Smiths best of mine.
She played it, adored it, and commented: "It's like Morrissey, but with better music!" :D
This comment has stayed with me after all these years, and I am just wondering if any other people have had similar experiences. :thumb:

She played it, adored it, and commented: "It's like Morrissey, but with better music!" :D
This comment has stayed with me after all these years
Unlike the girlfriend then?:lbf:
No,just messing mate.:D
Nice way of describing it all the same.

Hmmm, technically I heard The Smiths first and listened to them first - I have strong memories of first hearing The Smiths but I think the Vauxhall & I album was perfect timing for me to really get into Morrissey, I was 15, his face was everywhere, The More You Ignore Me was/is such a great song, great video - I prefer the solo years.

Definately The Smiths, even though Morrissey's "You Are The Quarry" album was playing, I ignored it and stayed a loyal Smiths fan

I wonder who the hell voted for "actually,I am still not really into either, how strange that I come to this site, isn't it?".....scary stuff!

Morrissey first..."Our Frank" was the single on alternative radio....back in the summer of 1991, I guess it must have been. I was 15.

I thought the guy was manifesting in front of me right from those shitty little speakers in my room. The song, the lyrics, the voice...it was so much more real and direct than anything I'd ever heard before. No metaphors, no bullshit, no shitty alt-rock poeticism pretention...just real words being sung by someone who sounded like he was warding off Death syllable by syllable and loving it.

The next night I heard "How Soon Is Now" for the first time on the same station and nearly had a stroke.

My stepdad told me it was the same singer, but with an older, different band.

In three days I had everything he'd ever released.

I wonder who the hell voted for "actually,I am still not really into either, how strange that I come to this site, isn't it?".....scary stuff!
mu guess is that it was you Davie :eek: since I do not remember seeing any votes for that on Saturday :lbf:
&
Morrissey first..."Our Frank" was the single on alternative radio....back in the summer of 1991, I guess it must have been. I was 15.

I thought the guy was manifesting in front of me right from those shitty little speakers in my room. The song, the lyrics, the voice...it was so much more real and direct than anything I'd ever heard before. No metaphors, no bullshit, no shitty alt-rock poeticism pretention...just real words being sung by someone who sounded like he was warding off Death syllable by syllable and loving it.

The next night I heard "How Soon Is Now" for the first time on the same station and nearly had a stroke.

My stepdad told me it was the same singer, but with an older, different band.

In three days I had everything he'd ever released.
gr8 story :thumb: & now I know who voted for Moz first :)
I really expected more similar stories :o

Morrissey

Back around 2005/2006 I remember hearing Everyday Is Like Sunday on the radio. I absolutely loved it so I looked up who Morrissey was. Next I heard I Have Forgiven Jesus. I was taken back at how beautiful and real his music was. My favorite bands at the time were The Killers and Depeche Mode, but Morrissey quickly replaced them and has remained #1 for me ever since. I then learned of who The Smiths were and became huge fans of them. I still prefer the solo years.

really? only 1 person (so far) got into Moz's solo music before getting into The Smiths? :straightface:
with all the young uns on here now I thought it might be different :o

I'm with you, Robby. Moz came first and always will for me - I still find The Smiths too "samey".

Ah the question finally gets asked....Well I would see the Smiths perform on Top of The Pops, but never played on the radio, I did not know what to make of their jangly music.

But then 1987, Saw the Suedehead video on the chart show, I was hooked It was perfect, moz sings im so sorry, still it was a good lay, good lay, to Johnny/Smiths. aka Mozstar

Can we not get this idiot that's ruining all the polls? or take his excessive votes away? Jesse Tobias in last poll now this...

anyway I got into the Smiths first after hearing brother's The World Won't Listen in '88. It was something quite different and better than most too. I bought Rank first which had just been released then Viva Hate then Hatful of Hollow just before xmas then the rest early '89 with brother. I remembered hearing the Smiths in '84 but knew virtually nothing about them in '88 nor Morrissey other than having heard Suedehead earlier in the year which I think I liked but wasn't completely sure.

Morrissey. Summer of '91. He was blowing up everywhere in the states, and I was an impressionable 13 year old with
heavy metal tastes.

Well, That changed.

Love the Smiths, nothing but respect, but I've had over half of my life filled with Morrissey's solo work.

Back
Top Bottom