Who is Bobby? Who is Ruth? Who is Jim?

• Thread starter I miss Stephen Street
  • Start date
I

I miss Stephen Street

Why so many song names of people we can't related to? Jim? Bobby? Truth about Ruth? Wtf is this rhyme?
Even spent the day in bed we could related something, but it's missing something...

"Because the music that they constantly play. It says nothing to me about my life"

Why so many song names of people we can't related to? Jim? Bobby? Truth about Ruth? Wtf is this rhyme?
Even spent the day in bed we could related something, but it's missing something...

"Because the music that they constantly play. It says nothing to me about my life"

Bobby is in love with Ruth but Ruth is in love with Jim. Jim is in love with Bobby. That's my guess.

Jim Jim Falls is a place in Australia.

Yes, it’s like Niagara Falls, a place where newlyweds go on their honeymoon to be disappointed.

:lbf:

bobby davro,miss jones and jim bowen.thought everyone knew that.

I think Jim Jim Falls will be about Jimmy Saville.
Just throwing it out there.

The 'world' on here seem to have decided that Bobby is Bobby Hatfield (Righteous Brothers)

those, who cannot relate to a song unless morrissey addresses the listeners with "darling", "you" or "my love", might think that it can only be about morrissey himself and/or johnny marr, or some other folks. he just wants to help those members of the audience to get out of their rut and then open up to new horizons of interpretation. the names are a means or a first step to achieve that goal, i.e. being eventually able to include a more universal and non-personal approach to enrich the pseudo-intimacy of the personal.

He sings about Jim a lot. (spring-heeled) Jim is commonly a short version of James (Dean?). He also sings about Jack (..the ripper and Papa...) which is a short version of John or less commonly again of James.

When did he last speak to Carol?

Love that track, best lyrics ever in this song:

"I've hammered a smile
Across this pasty face of mine
Since the day I was born in 1975."

Only Moz could be so descriptively eloquent.

I'm guessing the year 2000.

He sings about Jim a lot. (spring-heeled) Jim is commonly a short version of James (Dean?). He also sings about Jack (..the ripper and Papa...) which is a short version of John or less commonly again of James.

It's funny how the war goes on without him.

Re: Bobby, there's also quite a lot of Sunnys, Bunnys, Billys and Tonys. I think there's also an unreleased Buddy and Bully.

Last edited:
those, who cannot relate to a song unless morrissey addresses the listeners with "darling", "you" or "my love", might think that it can only be about morrissey himself and/or johnny marr, or some other folks. he just wants to help those members of the audience to get out of their rut and then open up to new horizons of interpretation. the names are a means or a first step to achieve that goal, i.e. being eventually able to include a more universal and non-personal approach to enrich the pseudo-intimacy of the personal.
Enrich the pseudo-intimacy? Making it more intimate or more pseudo?

Enrich the pseudo-intimacy? Making it more intimate or more pseudo?
thanks for being so attentive. when i'm in a hurry, i start writing in note form.
edit: "to enrich the limited insights of the biographical approach and its tendency to create some non-existent pseudo-intimacy."
to answer your question: i would say that any approach which is not biographical offers more intimacy.

Back
Top Bottom