Which Smiths/Morrissey songs do you find most fun to play?

mcrickson

Reckless Endangerment
For me (at the moment, at least) it's probably --

Smiths: "Girl Afraid," "Ask," "Some Girls Are Bigger than Others," "This Charming Man," "William, It Was Really Nothing," "The Headmaster Ritual," "Miserable Lie," and "Barbarism Begins at Home"

Morrissey: "Sing Your Life," "Best Friend on the Payroll," "First of the Gang to Die," "Black Cloud," "Jack the Ripper," "You're the One for Me, Fatty," and "Hold Onto Your Friends."

"The Boy Racer" can also be fun to crank up really loud and be creative with :guitar:

What are yours?

the smiths: barbrism begins at home,still ill,knowhere fast,hand in glove

morrissey: first of the gang, sing your life, hairdresser on fire, sister I'm a poet
all the solo stuff is really easy but great fun to play. I do prefer to play the smiths stuff more.

Does anyone have any tips on playing sing your life?

smiths; girl afraid, vicar in a tutu, there is a light

morrissey;jack the ripper, boy racer

i can play more however i play these quite frequently

Girl Afraid is great to play, but I get a bigger sense of accomplishment at the end of it rather than enjoyment. I prefer listening to it :) My fav to play is Some Girls - Johnny's choice of notes on the track is perfect.

In Some Girls its so cool the way your ring finger stays anchored on the D string through the entire song.

Blimey! I never noticed that! It's probably why it always feels so fluid to play - no jumping up and down the fretboard. However, I do play a little run from 6th to 4th fret on the D string during the 'verse' (from the A chord to the F#m chord) using my ring, middle and index fingers. I'm now wondering whether I should change it...

Blimey! I never noticed that! It's probably why it always feels so fluid to play - no jumping up and down the fretboard. However, I do play a little run from 6th to 4th fret on the D string during the 'verse' (from the A chord to the F#m chord) using my ring, middle and index fingers. I'm now wondering whether I should change it...

I'm not sure if it's through the whole entire song, as I haven't tabbed/worked it out all the way through. But in the main parts, its very noticeable, especially since even on the open E chord, the ring finger is still on the D string. It definitely adds in making it fluid to play, when you've got it down.

Back
Top Bottom