Where now for Morrissey?

Silent Reader

On Timeout
On Timeout
Ok, I keep trying to get discussion going on here, with success on some, not so much on others. Sadly a lot of time ends up getting wasted arguing with 2 or 3 tossers, but I do my best.

So, where do people think Morrissey’s career is heading now? He hasn’t got a record deal as far as I know, he’s a media pariah because of the ‘woke’ left, so many probably won’t want to sign him & let’s face it, he isn’t getting any younger.

Do people think he’ll release any more albums? The last one was one of his best for a while, so it could be a good place to bow out?

Last edited:
Ok, I keep trying to get discussion going on here, with success on some, not so much on others. Sadly a lot of time ends up getting wasted arguing with 2 or 3 tossers, but I do my best.

So, where do people think Morrissey’s career is heading now? He hasn’t got a record deal as far as I know, he’s a media pariah because of the ‘woke’ left so many probably won’t want to sign him & let’s face it, he isn’t getting any younger.

Do people think he’ll release any more albums? The last one was one of his best for a while, so it could be a good place to bow out?
He's a media pariah because he talks about things he really doesn't know too much about. But let's not get this thread off on the wrong foot.
I was not a fan of the three records previous to IANADOAC but I think it's up there in his top five solo releases, and sometimes I'd say top three. I hope he doesn't stop now because to me it felt like a return.

He's a media pariah because he talks about things he really doesn't know too much about. But let's not get this thread off on the wrong foot.
I was not a fan of the three records previous to IANADOAC but I think it's up there in his top five solo releases, and sometimes I'd say top three. I hope he doesn't stop now because to me it felt like a return.
I agree it’s up there with his best, but it’s not about that sadly, it’s about will anyone take him on now. I personally hope he continues, but it’s hard to imagine him still up on stage in his 70s, the way he likes to be.

It’s actually quite scary to think Morrissey in his 70’s is not that far away, to a degree. Where did that time go??

I also agree about not getting this thread off on the wrong foot, there’ll be plenty of time for that later when other people emerge back on here.

I think he should retire. I disagree with the prevailing view that his last album was good - I think it's one of the worst of his career, but if it is one of his best then let him bow out on a high and he can spend his retirement impregnating women or kissing mad street boys from Napoli.
'Dog' seemed to sell very poorly which suggests that the public have lost their appetite for him, no doubt in part due to his recently-earned reputation in many people's eyes as a right-wing, racist curmudgeon. I'm also not sure whether or not he has a record contract and I can't see labels queuing up to sign him.
But he's gone away and come back before so I wouldn't rule out a career hiatus for a few years followed by a cracking new album.

Dog did sell quite badly yes, & only spent 1 week in the top 100 which is abysmal really.

I always thought Mute might sign him, apparently they nearly did sign The Smiths I heard, back in the day. That may just be a rumour though.

Yeah, maybe 10 years time, when all this bollocks has passed, as fads always do, he might make another triumphant comeback, you may be right.

For once.

I have mixed feelings about this. Part of me thinks he should consider retiring (after all, he doesn't need the money), but then I'd love to think he could continue making great music for many years to come, & I hate the very thought of a world without new music from him. His last album demonstrated that he is still able to produce quality in his later years.

I think from his perspective though, especially with the sad death of his Mother, he maybe has little else in life to focus on, apart from making music. If he stopped making music then it may have a disastrous effect on him.

Overdue a greatest hits release.

Morrissey has enough money to open his own record label just like some other established musicians did. Then he will be free to release whatever he likes and whenever he likes. Total freedom of artistic expression, which likely would appeal to him. And maybe then he could sign some new aspiring artists whose music he finds promising :guitar:

South America has been a popular ratline for his kind.

Re-issue! Re-package! Re-package!
Re-evaluate the songs

Done too many times already, I fear.
A proper chronological Singles release with every solo single from 1988 to 2020. there is absolutely a place for that.

Morrissey has enough money to open his own record label just like some other established musicians did. Then he will be free to release whatever he likes and whenever he likes. Total freedom of artistic expression, which likely would appeal to him. And maybe then he could sign some new aspiring artists whose music he finds promising :guitar:
That was the idea with Etienne.

He did try something like that when he released Quarry; he was going to also have releases by other bands/singers he liked on the label he was with at the time. It didn't really happen though, i seem to recall. There was one lot of releases, then it fizzled out.

A proper chronological Singles release with every solo single from 1988 to 2020. there is absolutely a place for that.
Yes, i often think that myself, it would be good to have it all in one place.

The problem may be, he has had so many labels, who owns it all?

I really liked 'Dog on a Chain', but the sales figures were pretty awful. I think his best option would be to accept he's never going to be a massive seller again, and be happy releasing arty albums, possibly on indie labels, to lower sales. However, everything in his history points to him refusing to accept that.

At this late stage of an artists career, here are some usual 'hail Mary' attempts to get a major label career back on track:

• Release a new album as a double pack with a 'Greatest Hits' package (I think Blondie did this a few years back).
  • Re-record a selection of past solo and Smiths songs as a new 'best-of' record.
  • Now he seems to have gone all Catholic again, how about a Christmas Album? Robbie Williams duets on one song.
  • Swallow his pride, and try and reform the Smiths for one single huge arena show. Use the publicity surrounding that to get a record contract and release a new solo album at the same time.
  • Celebrity Big Brother (or similar reality show), in the desperate hope that away from all his bad press the public will 'see him for who he really is', and fall in love with him again.

Yes, i often think that myself, it would be good to have it all in one place.

The problem may be, he has had so many labels, who owns it all?
I really liked 'Dog on a Chain', but the sales figures were pretty awful. I think his best option would be to accept he's never going to be a massive seller again, and be happy releasing arty albums, possibly on indie labels, to lower sales. However, everything in his history points to him refusing to accept that.

At this late stage of an artists career, here are some usual 'hail Mary' attempts to get a major label career back on track:

• Release a new album as a double pack with a 'Greatest Hits' package (I think Blondie did this a few years back).
  • Re-record a selection of past solo and Smiths songs as a new 'best-of' record.
  • Now he seems to have gone all Catholic again, how about a Christmas Album? Robbie Williams duets on one song.
  • Swallow his pride, and try and reform the Smiths for one single huge arena show. Use the publicity surrounding that to get a record contract and release a new solo album at the same time.
  • Celebrity Big Brother (or similar reality show), in the desperate hope that away from all his bad press the public will 'see him for who he really is', and fall in love with him again.
I'm sure i did hear something a few years ago about a Robbie duet, but Morrissey never replied apparently?

I would LOVE to see him on Celebrity Big Brother. It would be car-crash TV!!

Marr would never agree to a Smiths reunion, he's too pious these days.

Lol!!!!

Acoustic album - world tour

Hasn't B

Hasn't Brother had enough issues with racism?

Back
Top Bottom