Where is the Lyrical Depth?

I'm about to jump into the bath so how about you lay it out for me?

You figure it out. Think about it.

Also, this is just one song, imagine what the others are saying?

You figure it out. Think about it.

Also, this is just one song, imagine what the others are saying?

I'm not gonna think about it, I disagree with the thought at the beginning of the process so why bother trying to crowbar in support for it?

There is nothing in the lyrics (and I've read, and reread them tonight trying to see what you're saying) that would lead me in the slightest to agree with your analysis.

I think you let yourself and the artist down by searching for meanings that aren't there. I suppose it could be argued it's a better way to be, because you'll never be disappointed or let down.
On the other hand, when a mind blowing song or lyric comes my way it's much more impressive and I appreciate it a lot more.

You think I let the artist down?

You think I let the artist down?

No, I don't reckon Morrissey is crying into his tea because you've missed the point - but I think by applying blatent misinterpretation you take away the magic of the actual song.

I think 'Mama...' is a pretty good song. I don't think the studio version is as good as hearing it live, but think it has something interesting to say and says it very well in those four minutes.
I don't think you need to artificially attach a false sentiment to it, just to make it more profound.

No, I don't reckon Morrissey is crying into his tea because you've missed the point - but I think by applying blatent misinterpretation you take away the magic of the actual song.

I think 'Mama...' is a pretty good song. I don't think the studio version is as good as hearing it live, but think it has something interesting to say and says it very well in those four minutes.
I don't think you need to artificially attach a false sentiment to it, just to make it more profound.

Huh. So Morrissey is just a man singing songs about stuff, you know, normal stuff, because after all he just likes singing songs because that's the kind of guy he is and we should just enjoy those songs and not investigate them because afterall, he may seem a little strange, but that's because he is, but other than that, there's really nothing going on upstairs?

Huh. So Morrissey is just a man singing songs about stuff, you know, normal stuff, because after all he just likes singing songs because that's the kind of guy he is and we should just enjoy those songs and not investigate them because afterall, he may seem a little strange, but that's because he is, but other than that, there's really nothing going on upstairs?

Oh dear Lord - have you missed the numerous times I've said I agree Morrissey has written some complex lyrics in the past but I do not think that MAMA LAY SOFTLY ON THE RIVERBED is an example of that?

I don't think you have provided any real evidence for it being about 'Mother Earth', and I think I (and others in previous threads) have provided evidence to the contrary.

If you want to keep applying my argument for one song across 25 years of back-catalogue that's up to you. But please don't be that silly :cool:

I don't understand why people think metaphor equals "deep". Morrissey has never used metaphor to a large extent. He's not one for hidden meanings. Usually he means just what he says. He paints a picture, sometimes it's very ambiguous, but it's not as simple as a clue with a definite hidden meaning you have to figure out.

What do you think this song is about?

But before you say that I am blatantly misinterpreting the song and subsequently sapping the magic from it thereby letting down the artist, explain to me what you think the song is about using Morrissey's words?

No really, tell us what you really think of us!:)
Again, it sounds like plenty of b-sides have been recordedQUOTE]

That also could almost be a description of the album Years of Refusal, I'm afraid...

Maybe not in Morrisseys case, since he usally has put out nice b-sides, but...you get my point. :(

It is about Mama Rosa in the Pasolini movie. At the end of the movie her son is in prison, tied down, shouting for his mother and Mama Rosa tries to jump out of the window, but her neighbours and friends from the market hold her back just in time before she actually jumps.

How interesting. But why the grave do you think?

You know what? I am baffled. I am absolutely dumb struck as to WHY my theory is implausible because I mention “mother earth.” Would it sound better if I said Madre Terra? It must be wrong because I said it is the disease here, yet nobody can explain the grave, the dirt they’re going to lie down in. and I’m supposed to sit back and say, “Oh they’re not going to believe me so I should shut up because I’m humiliating myself.” You know what’s humiliating? That Morrissey fans don’t take the time to question WHAT THE LYRICS MEAN, rather quibbling about chart position and how much they’re going to spend this year to see him. To entertain the notion of “being silly,” who exactly do you think this “girlfriend in a coma” was? This dormant girl whom he couldn’t live with or without? It’s himself. It’s a miracle. But nobody wants to see it. It’s like the saddest thing I’ve ever witnessed and all I can do is sit back and say that I’m crazy. It’s me you’re going to miss when I’m gone so I’d advise you to start asking questions now.

And for your information, if anyone cares, I love the music foremost. But the lyrics are important. PAY ATTENTION.

One last thing before I go to bed dejected and sick of defending something that's difficult to define. I'm not asking anyone to drop their belief regarding the interpretation of a song, but I resent, and have stewed all day about this, the implication that I artificially attach false sentiment to a song to make it more profound. This is my interpretation, yet your only argument is that I'm wrong because most likely Morrissey is saying "something interesting" yet you can't say what it is so by default neither can I. So on that note, screw you and good night.

Besides, it's probably all about Johnny Marr anyway, why do I bother? NOW I'm going to bed. And for your information, Johnny Marr is married, I doubt Morrissey's a homewrecker. GOOD NIGHT! :mad:

Besides, it's probably all about Johnny Marr anyway, why do I bother? NOW I'm going to bed. And for your information, Johnny Marr is married, I doubt Morrissey's a homewrecker. GOOD NIGHT! :mad:

Wowzers.

I think people are trying a little too hard to read something into lyrics that don't seem to have much to them. The lyrics now just seem to be, to quote Paul Draper, "just a vehicle for a lovely voice" when before they seemed to mean the world.

I read through Morrissey's interviews and listened to them on youtube. Somewhere in all this I read that Mama is about the movie Mama Rosa. I watched the movie and I told you its ending. I don't know why Morrissey tried to give the movie an alternative ending. I thought it great that in the movie the neighbours and friends kept her from jumping. Very often people give such a person the final push.

Besides Morrissey was directly quoted in an interview in regards to "girlfriend in a coma". He said that it is about somebody in a drug haze. So the person is in a coma caused by drugs.

Well, there it is.

Tags
delusional learn to read learn to spell lol at cg passive-aggressive
Back
Top Bottom