Where did it all go wrong Morrissey? by Michael Calderbank - Red Pepper

I must say, I'm getting increasingly bored by all these identical 'I used to love Morrissey when he was fantasising about Margaret Thatcher having her head cut off, but now he has dared to say things not approved of by me, I hate him' articles.

Why should anyone be in the remotest bit interested if you have decided for whatever reason that you don't like a pop singer? That's your prerogative but it's not interesting to anyone but yourself, surely?

Personally, I find the use of words like 'toxic' and 'problematic' to describe Morrissey's views, deeply sinister. Fair enough if you disagree with Morrissey, but there seems to be a vague suggestion that Morrissey is committing some kind of offence or wrong doing for what he says, and should be censured, silenced or otherwise shut down.

The indignation that a singer doesn't agree with what you think (even though perhaps they never did) is pathetic. Morrissey owed you nothing when you were a disaffected alienated adolescent, and he owes you nothing now. You have not been betrayed. Buy his records or don't. Go to his concerts or don't. Like him or don't. Agree with him or don't. No-one give a toss.
Usual response from the faithful.
I particularly like the final paragraph;
"Morrissey owed you nothing when you were a disaffected alienated adolescent, and he owes you nothing now". Sounds great doesn't it? Except it's meaningless. Who ever said Moz 'owed' anything?
A fan sees certain traits in a star and gets comfort from that. Those traits fade and the fan is disappointed. Fan becomes journalist and writes about it. What's the problem?
I apologize for the disrespectful tone of this post. But this is the internet and here I can be a big man.

Last edited:
Where did it all go right Morrissey?

Okay, if you could be kind enough to list the top 10 albums of 2017 I'll check them out.

Most of my favourite albums this year came from bands that were on an indefinite hiatus until recently.
Slowdive, J&MC and Ride all released very solid albums this year.
Also The National and The Horrors came up with the goods.

The Morrissey album is excellent though, the songs are very rich.
My Love and Home is a question mark are as good as anything he's done in his solo discography.

He is the fifth worst dressed man in the whole world according to GQ magazine.... it's really serious.

Hahaha... This new trend of writing articles about "I was a Morrissey fan, but now I am not" is somehow funny... or stupid.

I must say, I'm getting increasingly bored by all these identical 'I used to love Morrissey when he was fantasising about Margaret Thatcher having her head cut off, but now he has dared to say things not approved of by me, I hate him' articles.

Why should anyone be in the remotest bit interested if you have decided for whatever reason that you don't like a pop singer? That's your prerogative but it's not interesting to anyone but yourself, surely?

Personally, I find the use of words like 'toxic' and 'problematic' to describe Morrissey's views, deeply sinister. Fair enough if you disagree with Morrissey, but there seems to be a vague suggestion that Morrissey is committing some kind of offence or wrong doing for what he says, and should be censured, silenced or otherwise shut down.

The indignation that a singer doesn't agree with what you think (even though perhaps they never did) is pathetic. Morrissey owed you nothing when you were a disaffected alienated adolescent, and he owes you nothing now. You have not been betrayed. Buy his records or don't. Go to his concerts or don't. Like him or don't. Agree with him or don't. No-one give a toss.

Dear Daniel,

Thank you. I've been visiting this site for years and this is unquestionably the most sensible and level-headed post ever submitted.

It will not go down well with certain agitators, but that makes it even more wonderful.

God speed.

Most of my favourite albums this year came from bands that were on an indefinite hiatus until recently.
Slowdive, J&MC and Ride all released very solid albums this year.
Also The National and The Horrors came up with the goods.

The Morrissey album is excellent though, the songs are very rich.
My Love and Home is a question mark are as good as anything he's done in his solo discography.
With you on the Ride album...surprisingly brilliant. Slowdive are better now than they were 20 years ago. The Decemberists off-shoot band Offa Rex released a reworking of old folk songs which is incredible...but that's about it.

Not all the old-timers were successful the second time around...Shed 7? Fecking awful.

What makes your best of list for this year, Skinny? Are there any gems I should be listening to?

Yes, Skinny, enlighten us with your top 10 of 2017.

As for me, Low in High School and Ryan Adams' Prisoner are my favorite albums of the year.

The last album I really loved was released in 2015, so Morrissey's new one is alright in the grand scheme of things.

It's No.2 for me from his last four albums after YOR.

Dear Daniel,

Thank you. I've been visiting this site for years and this is unquestionably the most sensible and level-headed post ever submitted.

It will not go down well with certain agitators, but that makes it even more wonderful.

God speed.

Thanks Watson - appreciate that!

Nothing goes wrong with Morrissey if he remains on people's side, no matter if the oppressors come from the right or the left of the political spectrum, no matter the political party, the religion, the geopolitical interests. People should not be silenced, opressed, tortured, murdered, used like objects, for any reason. That's the only coherence we should look for in his lyrics and his words. He is not a statesman, he is a popular artist. He is supposed to be on people's side, not making alliances with the powerful ones, like Kanye West with Trump or Maradona with Putin.

Protests in Venezuela. Now they are resigned because the rest of the continent and the world abandoned them. Others are taking advantage of their fate to make money with cheap oil. Smart and nice people in the hands of monsters, again:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bPSNFjF6WUViZ...KQmeUfrT7QPzWuFKuqyH3AEx0O8JRAsvo9tvfTm-Y5ef5

Please, check the rest of the account.

Last edited:

If you don't like him then don't look at him.

Okay, if you could be kind enough to list the top 10 albums of 2017 I'll check them out.

Don't listen to other bitter old f***sticks Tibby, as long as YOU loved the album that's all that counts.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom