What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

Proust is easy. Long, beautiful, mellifluous sentences in a voice that gradually becomes as welcome and comforting as an old friend. I was intimidated by its reputation but found it marvelously welcoming. When I started the novel seemed long, but now I wish he'd written 30 volumes. The Modern Library translation is a good one, semi-endorsed by Nabokov (the best one can hope for from such a fastidious reader). I recommend jumping in with both feet.

Thanks, Worm. I'll wade in soon, once I cross the choppy ocean that is The Satanic Verses, by Salman Rushdie!

We've seen this a few times, I'm sure, but in certain cases, like an old friend, there's joy in repetition: :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
and, the supreme queen of short stories, Flannery O'Connor.
c1426.jpg
hm..never heard of her.Will have to check it out.

Charles Bukowski - Women.

Love it. Love him.

Haven't gotten around to that one yet. Though it sits nicely in my book shelf.

Actually now that I think of it, I went through a Bukowski stage that started with Ram on Rye. I think I read a few others as well.

I'm reading 'The More You Ignore Me' by Jo Brand, 'Lucky Kunst' a look back at the impact of the Young British Artists of the 1990's by Gregor Muir.

Bukowski rocks.

Just read Oliver Twist. Too happy/sappy for me. Then again, the ending of Wuthering Heights was too happy for me.
I'm working on The Dome (King) right now. It's relatively predictable but a page turner nonetheless, 850 pages in 48 hours and I can't seem to put it down. Not a work of literature by any means, but entertaining enough to pass the time.

n361831.jpg

its better than I thought :)

ps: I am pretty sure I posted on here about meet Bukowski before he died. Basically it was awesome, I must find the time to search for it in the archives, but not today. :thumb:

Kieth Richards autobiography "life" , never a huge rolling Stones fan, but can you imagine the story this is?

Paul O'Grady: The Devil Rides Out....dead good book, I'm having plenty of laughs over it atm!

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom