what does an American accent sound like?

Oh believe me. There's a HUGE difference throughout the states. The only tolerable one is from California I'd say.:cool:

At work I speak in a fairly neutral way but if I was, say, in a pub with friends from my childhood I will revert to an extent to the 'fahhkin wanker mate' speech pattern.

*nods* My East Yorkshire accent grows lighter or heavier, depending on the situation and the company.

For myself as far as I'm aware I have a fairly bland North London accent

Oh there's nothing bland about a North London accent. :)

Oh believe me. There's a HUGE difference throughout the states. The only tolerable one is from California I'd say.:cool:

hmm..I'd have to say the most 'tolerable', as you put it, is a New York accent. Perhaps the same goes for the whole of the east coast, but to my Australian ears, New Yorkers don't drawl as much as Californians. New Yorkers have a softer accent. Aside from Californians (or West Coast) and New York (of which there are several accents) the only other I can differentiate is a Southern accent. That can be hard to understand, but certainly other American accents are not.

Overall it's all very drawl-y, rrrrrrr-y (yeah I made up that word) and kinda flat. Oh, and loud.
:)

http://www.gotoquiz.com/results/what_american_accent_do_you_have
Picture2.jpg

I found this not that long ago and saw that the accent is very different from where i'm actually from.

Do you pronounce "pin" and "pen" the same way? That's the Northern Chicago accent. Mrs. NRitH has it, but she doesn't know what I'm talking about. And now my oldest daughter has picked it up (and run with it: "milk" sounds like "melk," etc.), which is all the funnier because the rest of her accent is starting to sound quite Vihginiahn.

Yes, pin and pen I say differently, but do say milk like "melk". And I wish I could take my "pellow" to the show :p lol

People from the Northwest have the most non distinct American accents. You'll find a lot of news readers, weather people etc are from that part of the country...

I couldnt figure how to copy and paste the results, but i took that american accent test and it says i have a Philly accent. well, that's a surprise....:rolleyes:

I dont think I have one though.

I couldnt figure how to copy and paste the results, but i took that american accent test and it says i have a Philly accent. well, that's a surprise....:rolleyes:

I dont think I have one though.

I don't think you have one either. Which is a good thing. Sometimes when I hear people speak with really thick Philly accents, I wonder if they know how to read. Honestly, certain Philadlephia accents are so ridiculous it makes people sound as if they are uneducated etc. That can also go for New York though. (I'm allowed to say that b/c my bf is from NY so I'm not insulting anyone, I'm just quite familiar with it).

I think the north east in general produces some of the most ridiculous sounding accents I've ever heard. I'm included though. But at the same time it gives us a weird sort of identity and at times pride. Go figure.

I don't think you have one either. Which is a good thing. Sometimes when I hear people speak with really thick Philly accents, I wonder if they know how to read. Honestly, certain Philadlephia accents are so ridiculous it makes people sound as if they are uneducated etc. That can also go for New York though. (I'm allowed to say that b/c my bf is from NY so I'm not insulting anyone, I'm just quite familiar with it).

I think the north east in general produces some of the most ridiculous sounding accents I've ever heard. I'm included though. But at the same time it gives us a weird sort of identity and at times pride. Go figure.

when i think of a philly accent, honestly, i think of that stupid chick that calls into like, Q102, when the DJ is at some lame club, and they give a shout out. and they just sound, really stupid. like the valley girl version of a philly accent.

oh, and I've NEVER said "wooder" instead of "water."

when i think of a philly accent, honestly, i think of that stupid chick that calls into like, Q102, when the DJ is at some lame club, and they give a shout out. and they just sound, really stupid. like the valley girl version of a philly accent.

oh, and I've NEVER said "wooder" instead of "water."

LOL!!! You did not just mention Q 102 on Moz Solo!!! HAHA!!! That is great. But I know exactly what you mean. Certain people from Philadlephia sound like they have half a brain. I only sound like that sometimes. My philly accent only comes out when I'm surrounded by people from other areas, I'm drunk, or angry. :rolleyes:

LOL!!! You did not just mention Q 102 on Moz Solo!!! HAHA!!! That is great. But I know exactly what you mean. Certain people from Philadlephia sound like they have half a brain. I only sound like that sometimes. My philly accent only comes out when I'm surrounded by people from other areas, I'm drunk, or angry. :rolleyes:

well i havent really listened to Q102 since like 9th grade.... :cool:;)

well, no, thats a lie, I was forced to listen to it a few times when I was working with that 18 year old girl. i wanted to throw the radio up against the wall. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom