What do people think of "Live in Boston"?

Old Mathew

What do people think of this? I haven't heard it yet, but a sad story...

I first discovered the Smiths in the late fall of 1985, when I was learning drums and a friend told me how great the beat was in "How Soon is Now?" So we went to the record store and I bought the cassette of Meat is Murder and we listened to it (this was in New Hampshire, so, the American version) over and over. Soon thereafter I bought the debut album, but it wasn't till the summer of 1986 that I finally gave that album a real listen and really got into the band. Posters went up on the walls, and early that fall I finally finagled the $8 or so to buy the cassette of The Queen is Dead and really fell in love. Was it March or so that Louder Than Bombs came out in 1987? I remember waiting for Strangeways, Here We Come to come out that following fall, knowing, with great disappointment, that they were already broken up.

I didn't really start going to concerts until that December (of 1986) when I went for my first show, which was... wait for it... Gene Loves Jezebel with Flesh for Lulu at the Orpheum in Boston. No judgement, please -- they were just British bands and I realized that I could actually go see them 90 miles to the south of me! By the time I truly loved the Smiths and realized they had played close to me, I was devastated that I had missed it.

This was, of course, way before the Internet. And I was 14. Only college kids had the network then to know who was playing where. A young kid in New Hampshire -- I didn't have a chance of even knowing they were playing, or yet realizing I could go see them.

TL; DR: If I had been 6 months more precocious, I could've been at the show!

Postscript:
After 5 long years of waiting, I finally saw Morrissey for the first time at Great Woods on July 3, 1991, and got on stage to hug him during "Suedehead."

Those were magical times.

So what do you think of the recording?

Last edited:
I'm neither here nor there on it. The cleaned up sound freaks me out a little.

Wow, such a similar story to mine. I was 13 in 1985 when I first heard How Soon is Now? after knowing of the band vaguely from a kid who wore a shirt to school one day. So I also went out and bought Meat is Murder (LP in my case). Loved it so much and shortly after bought the first album and Hatful of Hollow. Then bought The Queen is Dead right when it came out. When they came on tour in 1986, I was 14 by then, but still only knew one kid at school who liked The Smiths. He and I talked about going to the concert but we ended up not going. Little did I know that would be their last tour here, would break up the next year, and they’d forever be my favorite band of all time (at that age it seemed like favorite bands and types of music changed frequently). Like you, I finally did see Morrissey in 1991 and around 30 times total.

I first discovered the Smiths in the late fall of 1985, when I was learning drums and a friend told me how great the beat was in "How Soon is Now?" So we went to the record store and I bought the cassette of "Meat is Murder" and we listened to it (this was in New Hampshire, so, the American version) over and over. Soon thereafter I bought the debut album, but it wasn't till the summer of 1986 that I finally gave that album a real listen and really got into the band. Posters went up on the walls, and early that fall I finally finagled the $8 or so to buy the cassette of The Queen is Dead and really fell in love. Was it March or so that "Louder and Bombs" came out in 1987? I remember waiting for Strangeways to come out that following fall, knowing, with great disappointment, that they were already broken up.

I didn't really start going to concerts until that December (of 1986) when I went for my first show, which was... wait for it... Gene Loves Jezebel with Fresh for Lulu at the Orpheum in Boston. No judgement, please -- they were just British bands and I realized that I could actually go see them 90 miles to the south of me! By the time I truly loved the Smiths and realized they had played close to me, I was devastated that I had missed it.

This was, of course, way before the Internet. And I was 14. Only college kids had the network then to know who was playing where. A young kid in New Hampshire -- I didn't have a chance of even knowing they were playing, or yet realizing I could go see them.

Postscript:
After 5 long years of waiting, I finally saw Morrissey for the first time at Great Woods on July 3, 1991, and got on stage to hug him during "Suedehead."

It seems they make american versions of absolutely everything and I never realised why. It is like some sort of censorship to fit a market by people believing they know the market.

USA has never been free and is the most controlled country in the world.

[QUOTE="URBANUS, post: 1987033354"
USA has never been free and is the most controlled country in the world.[/QUOTE]

That may be the case but I don't think we'll prove the point because Sire tacked on "How Soon Is Now" to the b-side of "Meat is Murder." They just realized it was a popular radio airplay....

[QUOTE="URBANUS, post: 1987033354"
USA has never been free and is the most controlled country in the world.

That may be the case but I don't think we'll prove the point because Sire tacked on "How Soon Is Now" to the b-side of "Meat is Murder." They just realized it was a popular radio airplay....[/QUOTE]

giphy.gif

I first discovered the Smiths in the late fall of 1985, when I was learning drums and a friend told me how great the beat was in "How Soon is Now?" So we went to the record store and I bought the cassette of Meat is Murder and we listened to it (this was in New Hampshire, so, the American version) over and over. Soon thereafter I bought the debut album, but it wasn't till the summer of 1986 that I finally gave that album a real listen and really got into the band. Posters went up on the walls, and early that fall I finally finagled the $8 or so to buy the cassette of The Queen is Dead and really fell in love. Was it March or so that Louder Than Bombs came out in 1987? I remember waiting for Strangeways, Here We Come to come out that following fall, knowing, with great disappointment, that they were already broken up.

I didn't really start going to concerts until that December (of 1986) when I went for my first show, which was... wait for it... Gene Loves Jezebel with Flesh for Lulu at the Orpheum in Boston. No judgement, please -- they were just British bands and I realized that I could actually go see them 90 miles to the south of me! By the time I truly loved the Smiths and realized they had played close to me, I was devastated that I had missed it.

Postscript:

Wow, such a similar story to mine. I was 13 in 1985 when I first heard How Soon is Now? after knowing of the band vaguely from a kid who wore a shirt to school one day. So I also went out and bought Meat is Murder (LP in my case). Loved it so much and shortly after bought the first album and Hatful of Hollow. Then bought The Queen is Dead right when it came out. When they came on tour in 1986, I was 14 by then, but still only knew one kid at school who liked The Smiths. He and I talked about going to the concert but we ended up not going. Little did I know that would be their last tour here, would break up the next year, and they’d forever be my favorite band of all time (at that age it seemed like favorite bands and types of music changed frequently). Like you, I finally did see Morrissey in 1991 and around 30 times total.

Very similar as well. Nice to think back on those times like that. Thanks

I think this is the difference between American and English fans here....

For us Americans, we were just discovering them as they ended their career. I know the experience in the UK was different-- you'd known them since 84 or 85...

But in America, 1986/7 were the years that the world blew up in terms of alternative music. U2 broke out with "The Joshua Tree," REM broke out with "Document" (and, two years later, "Green")... 1987 was the year that the "alternative" music of the early 80s got big... and at that very moment, The Smiths broke up. We were left, a few years later, with shadow echoey shit like Toad the Wet Sprocket.

I really think The Smiths would have been one of the biggest bands in the world if they had stayed together for another year. MTV and the world were finally ready for them. I'm not certain I'd still love them nearly thirty years on if they had, though. That's part of their magic.

Why do you think the USA is called the land of the free and the home of the brave? Most of you anti-American terrorists have left this site, which is great, but there are still some here. Why do you like Steve Morrissey? He is the most red blooded American I know. Yes, he was born in some foreign country, but he is living proof of the American dream. Stop thinking he spends his time in Manc or Serbvodkastain when he is really laying on Malibu Beach drinking a margarita and eating potato tacos with extra hot sauce. You people are pathetic.

Why do you think the USA is called the land of the free and the home of the brave? Most of you anti-American terrorists have left this site, which is great, but there are still some here. Why do you like Steve Morrissey? He is the most red blooded American I know. Yes, he was born in some foreign country, but he is living proof of the American dream. Stop thinking he spends his time in Manc or Serbvodkastain when he is really laying on Malibu Beach drinking a margarita and eating potato tacos with extra hot sauce. You people are pathetic.

Please shut up you deluded c***.

I think this is the difference between American and English fans here....

For us Americans, we were just discovering them as they ended their career. I know the experience in the UK was different-- you'd known them since 84 or 85...

I really think The Smiths would have been one of the biggest bands in the world if they had stayed together for another year. MTV and the world were finally ready for them. I'm not certain I'd still love them nearly thirty years on if they had,though. That's part of their magic.

Mmmm. I think Morrissey is too prickly, too interesting, too hard to pin down, too unwilling to compromise for The Smiths ever to have become the biggest band in the world. He never really wanted that. Their reputation grows more every day and that must be pretty satisfying for them all. I think Morrissey will survive the UKIP storm and this will be a great year ahead for him.

I always wondered if your famous dad is still alive?

bagdad-bob.jpg

Back
Top Bottom