Wake up, people!

Sal Kramer

Another Morrissey tour, another string of cancelled shows, postponed shows, and disappointed fans. Please consider these statistics:

2012: 3 cancelled shows, 24 postponed shows
2011: 3 cancelled shows, 1 postponed show
2009: 9 cancelled shows, 11 postponed shows
2008: 2 cancelled shows
2007: 6 cancelled shows, 2 postponed shows

Beginning in 2011, Morrissey's tour schedules had him performing no more than 2 consecutive days before a day off. Yet still, the problems continue. Steven Tyler, at age 64, still tours all over with Aerosmith. And Leonard Cohen, 78 years young, has 29 concerts scheduled, all over the world, for this year. I bring up Tyler & Cohen to point out that performers much older than Morrissey seem to be able to get it done on the road.

At this point, I'm finished making excuses for Morrissey. I've been a fan of his music since the 1980's, when I bought albums (remember them?) by the Smiths. But enough is enough. At least this site has the "Other Music" section in the forums, where I follow the R.E.M thread, easily one of the best things happening over here.

OK. Let the flaming begin...

Another Morrissey tour, another string of cancelled shows, postponed shows, and disappointed fans. Please consider these statistics:

2012: 3 cancelled shows, 24 postponed shows
2011: 3 cancelled shows, 1 postponed show
2009: 9 cancelled shows, 11 postponed shows
2008: 2 cancelled shows
2007: 6 cancelled shows, 2 postponed shows

Beginning in 2011, Morrissey's tour schedules had him performing no more than 2 consecutive days before a day off. Yet still, the problems continue. Steven Tyler, at age 64, still tours all over with Aerosmith. And Leonard Cohen, 78 years young, has 29 concerts scheduled, all over the world, for this year. I bring up Tyler & Cohen to point out that performers much older than Morrissey seem to be able to get it done on the road.

At this point, I'm finished making excuses for Morrissey. I've been a fan of his music since the 1980's, when I bought albums (remember them?) by the Smiths. But enough is enough. At least this site has the "Other Music" section in the forums, where I follow the R.E.M thread, easily one of the best things happening over here.

OK. Let the flaming begin...

Wake up? wake up to what? the fact that people get sick?

Wtf

Good grief, Morrissey isn't a robot.

His mother was in hospital, so he decided to postpone the remaining US dates.

He is treated infection at the moment, what's wrong with it?

I would like to request to move this thread to the pigsty.

Re:

Name one other performer who has a track record of cancelling / postponing shows like this.

Pete Doherty and Amy Winehouse.

Also due to illness Adele cancelled many shows in 2011.

Last edited:
Re:

Pete Doherty and Amy Winehouse.

Also due to illness Adele cancelled many shows in 2011.

Adele cancelled shows on one tour due to major throat surgery.
Pete & Amy had well-documented histories of substance abuse problems.
Look, I'm aware that Morrissey sometimes gets sick. We all do. But every tour?

Re:

Adele cancelled shows on one tour due to major throat surgery.
Pete & Amy had well-documented histories of substance abuse problems.
Look, I'm aware that Morrissey sometimes gets sick. We all do. But every tour?

*sigh*

He is well known for being a moody individual from the beginning of his career.

What can we do about it?

I also heard that Cat Power had difficulties playing live.

No one cares if you stop going to see his shows.

Others are still able to experience fantastic moments seeing his shows.

Last edited:
Re:

Am I supposed to get mad at Morrissey and stop buying his albums?

It wasn't fun having the show I was going to postponed three months and then having it cancelled as I'm driving there. But there's not much I can do about it. People get sick.

Name one other performer who has a track record of cancelling / postponing shows like this.

That's irrelevant. Some people get sick more than others. I suspect that Morrissey, being a vegetarian who doesn't eat many vegetables is one of them.

You are also assuming that all of these cancellations were because of Morrissey being sick. Morrissey's mother being sick was not his fault. Boz's work permit issues (which were real, despite the conjecture here) were not his fault.

Stuff happens. The idea that he decides to randomly not do gigs on a whim is laughable. The crew and band are paid whether he plays or not. The hotels and tour catering have to be paid whether he plays or not.

You cite only recent dates. Morrissey has a record of cancellations going much further back. You see, he is a human being, just flesh and blood. I would offer the suggestion that other artists don the stage mask and battle on sometimes. Morrissey sings from the heart, and if he can't give his all, he would rather not bother. I've seen him enough times to see this for myself. A few years back when he played the Liverpool Empire, he was on the brink of another string of cancellations. You could tell he wasn't himself and, in my opinion, it wasn't a night up to his usual high standards. Catching the tour a few days later, our man was back!

If you want to go and see some stage luvvie, who lives by the rules "the show must go on" then you're just going to be entertained by his/her stage character/performance. Show Biz is littered with such people. The cardboard Morrissey can be bought in the foyer, the one on stage is for real.

Back
Top Bottom