Vini Reilly needs cash!

this is a short comment on why my comment was a bit harsh

my dad died at 66 after his 3rd stoke,working from his 15, married at 32, and got 6 kids, I'm the oldest, and heir [end of the family line]
I al;ways worked in the summerbreaks, at age 12-17, fairs, gardens, and at me 15 ...3 years at factory where me dad worked.
we had to think about every penny we spended, me dad didn't study [at that time one had to pay, and me granddad had an accident so no money, work boy!]

to end it, in me father families we have lots of strokes, heart and vein problems, all me dad's sis and bro's are dead.

and just because Vini was a guitarist andsomeone who played on his first solo album and musician, and got a stroke, his bro begs/aks for cash for Vini

we never got it, I never got it

I'm sorry for Viny's situation but I've seen it daily

sorry and good to hear he's out of financial problems for now

I,ll keep it shorter shall I ?????

Bell-end !!!!!!

Good news. It's nice to see there are kind people out there who appreciate what Vini has done in the past. Having seen the devastating affects of suffering a stroke (let alone 3), sometimes the victim is in no position to help themselves, this is when you need other people to help. I don't think he would have taken to crying for help without there being a good reason. Who was it who once sang the lyrics 'You're gonna need someone on your side'?

Apparo his nephew said fans had raised 3 grand, on the BBC red button news, Vini is said to be "ecstatic" about the news, not bad considering he's done sod all about sorting himself out. I want 3 f***ing grand, I'm hard up.

If he's in such a bind why doesn't he sell one of his bonds? One can always do that.

From the official Durutti Column site:

http://news.thedurutticolumn.info/2013/01/update-from-vini-reilly-and-matt-reilly.html

-----

07 January 2013

Update from Vini Reilly and Matt Reilly

An inaccurate story has appeared on the BBC's website this afternoon stating that Vini Reilly spoke "of his 'embarrassment and humiliation' after fans sent £3,000 to help him pay his rent after he had three strokes."

The article also states that "the musician's nephew put a message on the band's website, without his uncle's knowledge, appealing for donations."

I've just spoken to Vini and he says he has been completely misrepresented in this article – I've included a full quote from him at the end of this.

I've never spoken to the journalist who wrote this story, but I too feel misrepresented. Vini and I have been in constant contact, daily and sometime hourly, since this all started. And it all started after I explained to Vini at the end of December that a number of fans had been in contact – after hearing he was selling a pair of headphones to pay off some debts – to see if they could send donations to help him out.

This idea came from The Durutti Column fans - amazing people that they are. This was not my idea, or me doing something without Vini's knowledge or consent. And Vini was hugely grateful that his fans had chosen to react in this way – he was incredibly humbled by the positive help that was being offered.

He said yes the fans could help if they wanted to, and we thought there might be a few donations that might go some way to covering a few of his debts.

Vini had a £1,200 rent bill, which was for a number of months' worth of rent, and dated back to before he had been assessed for disability allowance. In the end, we have been sent just over £4,000, which has meant that Vini has been able to pay off his outstanding rent bills and also paid off other debts he's picked up during the time he's been ill.

As stated before, Vini is over the moon. His fans have been amazing, and he is not embarrassed by their support – he's overjoyed, and it's given him a new lease of life.
The article also says that Vini "was not sure whether the donations had yet been processed."

Just to clarify, the money has been received and transferred to pay off Vini's debts.
It's quite sad that a positive and life-affirming story has been spun to try and create a negative one.

But we (Vini Reilly and Matt Reilly) wanted you – fans of The Durutti Column – to know that this story simply isn't true. To ensure that the true story of Vini Reilly and The Durutti Column is told, Vini and I have been discussing something that we know a lot of fans have been waiting for – an official biography.

We've talked about it for a while, but there seems no better time to let you all know that we're going to write the official story together rather than have other people write unofficial ones.

Thank you again to everyone who has provided support, whether it's by donations, emails or tweets.

Matt Reilly

[I've just come off the phone to Vini, and he's asked me to put out the following direct quote from him.]

Vini Reilly said:

"At first I was so utterly overwhelmed by the enormity and extent and the generosity and kindness and practical assistance that people have given me that it threw me a little. I felt humbled.

I have their names and contact details of the people who donated and I'm looking at ways to give something back to these incredibly loyal people.

Their help has enabled me to keep hold of my home and clear debts that should never have been accrued if the benefits office had got their act together.

Furthermore, the only complaints I wanted to make were not on my behalf, but for the thousands of people who can't get on stage, and can't pay their bills – the voiceless people that successive governments have never taken care of.

The acts of kindness that have been given to me by people who like my music have given me a fresh and more hopeful outlook and refreshed my belief in the basic decency that human beings are capable of showing each other.

They have shown me kindness, empathy, love and affection, which is reciprocated.

It's hard to overstate how much this has helped, with the fans stepping in to initiate this, and my nephew facilitating it.

I was skeptical that anything would happen, but this has been a life-changing moment for me, so that I can now reclaim my power of making music so that I can carry on playing my silly tunes for wonderful people.

I'm trying to think of someway to repay all the people who've helped me, in order to thank them for their loyal and loving support.

There are no words that can describe such kindness, but it's a testament to human nature.

In conclusion, I just simply want to say thank you to everyone concerned and I will find a way to repay your belief in me.

Peace and love

Vincent Gerard Reilly

p.s. Without the constant support of many people close to me – especially Mr Bruce Mitchell, my favourite drummer, and Mr Les Thompson, William Rance, all my family and so many people (too many to name) I probably wouldn't have been able to keep myself alive.

This is not an exaggeration of the damage that three strokes have caused me. But even though I've had three major strokes, I believe that everyone who has listened to one of my records is repairing some of the damage.

So, thank you."

-----

http://news.thedurutticolumn.info/2013/01/update-from-vini-reilly-and-matt-reilly.html

-----

07 January 2013

An inaccurate story has appeared on the BBC's website this afternoon stating that Vini Reilly spoke "of his 'embarrassment and humiliation' after fans sent £3,000 to help him pay his rent after he had three strokes."

The article also states that "the musician's nephew put a message on the band's website, without his uncle's knowledge, appealing for donations."

I've just spoken to Vini and he says he has been completely misrepresented in this article – I've included a full quote from him at the end of this.

I've never spoken to the journalist who wrote this story, but I too feel misrepresented. Vini and I have been in constant contact, daily and sometime hourly, since this all started. And it all started after I explained to Vini at the end of December that a number of fans had been in contact – after hearing he was selling a pair of headphones to pay off some debts – to see if they could send donations to help him out.

This idea came from The Durutti Column fans - amazing people that they are. This was not my idea, or me doing something without Vini's knowledge or consent. And Vini was hugely grateful that his fans had chosen to react in this way – he was incredibly humbled by the positive help that was being offered.

He said yes the fans could help if they wanted to, and we thought there might be a few donations that might go some way to covering a few of his debts.

Vini had a £1,200 rent bill, which was for a number of months' worth of rent, and dated back to before he had been assessed for disability allowance. In the end, we have been sent just over £4,000, which has meant that Vini has been able to pay off his outstanding rent bills and also paid off other debts he's picked up during the time he's been ill.

As stated before, Vini is over the moon. His fans have been amazing, and he is not embarrassed by their support – he's overjoyed, and it's given him a new lease of life.
The article also says that Vini "was not sure whether the donations had yet been processed."

Just to clarify, the money has been received and transferred to pay off Vini's debts.
It's quite sad that a positive and life-affirming story has been spun to try and create a negative one.

But we (Vini Reilly and Matt Reilly) wanted you – fans of The Durutti Column – to know that this story simply isn't true. To ensure that the true story of Vini Reilly and The Durutti Column is told, Vini and I have been discussing something that we know a lot of fans have been waiting for – an official biography.

We've talked about it for a while, but there seems no better time to let you all know that we're going to write the official story together rather than have other people write unofficial ones.

Thank you again to everyone who has provided support, whether it's by donations, emails or tweets.

Matt Reilly

[I've just come off the phone to Vini, and he's asked me to put out the following direct quote from him.]

Vini Reilly said:

"At first I was so utterly overwhelmed by the enormity and extent and the generosity and kindness and practical assistance that people have given me that it threw me a little. I felt humbled.

I have their names and contact details of the people who donated and I'm looking at ways to give something back to these incredibly loyal people.

Their help has enabled me to keep hold of my home and clear debts that should never have been accrued if the benefits office had got their act together.

Furthermore, the only complaints I wanted to make were not on my behalf, but for the thousands of people who can't get on stage, and can't pay their bills – the voiceless people that successive governments have never taken care of.

The acts of kindness that have been given to me by people who like my music have given me a fresh and more hopeful outlook and refreshed my belief in the basic decency that human beings are capable of showing each other.

They have shown me kindness, empathy, love and affection, which is reciprocated.

It's hard to overstate how much this has helped, with the fans stepping in to initiate this, and my nephew facilitating it.

I was skeptical that anything would happen, but this has been a life-changing moment for me, so that I can now reclaim my power of making music so that I can carry on playing my silly tunes for wonderful people.

I'm trying to think of someway to repay all the people who've helped me, in order to thank them for their loyal and loving support.

There are no words that can describe such kindness, but it's a testament to human nature.

In conclusion, I just simply want to say thank you to everyone concerned and I will find a way to repay your belief in me.

Peace and love

Vincent Gerard Reilly

p.s. Without the constant support of many people close to me – especially Mr Bruce Mitchell, my favourite drummer, and Mr Les Thompson, William Rance, all my family and so many people (too many to name) I probably wouldn't have been able to keep myself alive.

This is not an exaggeration of the damage that three strokes have caused me. But even though I've had three major strokes, I believe that everyone who has listened to one of my records is repairing some of the damage.

So, thank you."

-----

Glad it all worked out for the best. Thanks for the update ...

-----

07 January 2013

I presume this on the BBC website is the report in question -

"When I found out that people were sending money to help me, I went through a mixture of absolute total embarrassment and humiliation because I've never had to borrow before."

Is this a misquote? Have you contacted the BBC regarding this? They are a public institution so have a high obligation for open journalism

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom