Vini Reilly needs cash!

UPDATE Jan. 4:

An anonymous person posted the link:

Fans rally round Durutti Column star Vini Reilly - BBC News
Fans of 1970s post-punk band The Durutti Column have rallied round to help frontman Vini Reilly after three strokes left him unable to pay bills.

Excerpt:

Reilly's nephew Matt posted an appeal on the Durutti Column website saying the influential guitarist had "hit a bit of a rough patch money-wise".

Fans sent £3,000 and Matt posted a new message saying Vini was "ecstatic".

"Enough has now been donated to ensure that he can pay off all of the backlog of rent that he owed," he wrote.

"He's asked me to pass on his huge gratitude to you all and let you know that no further donations are needed.

"He's explained that going forward he should be able to afford to pay his rent, but the debt relates to the period after he had his three strokes but before he was assessed for disability allowance.

"It has been a stressful time for Vini, with the constant worry of knowing that he couldn't afford to pay his debts and that could mean being evicted from the place he rents.

"But he says he now feels like you've lifted the weight of the world off his shoulders."

Posted on the official Durutti Column Twitter presence by Vini's nephew Matt Reilly:

https://twitter.com/DuruttiColumn

-----

Helping Vini Reilly ...

I've previously posted this on Facebook, but copied it over for those who aren't on there.

My uncle - The Durutti Column's Vini Reilly - has hit a bit of a rough patch money-wise, and is currently struggling to cover basic outgoings such as rent, food, electricity, etc.

Some of you have mentioned that you'd like to make a donation to Vini, which is incredibly kind, so we've been working out the best way to do that.

As Vini doesn't have internet access, I'm going to use my PayPal account to receive any donations and forward them to his bank account.

We looked into the PayPal situation and found out that using a donation button, as we’d previously hoped we might, results in fees being taken by PayPal even if they are personal payments.

So it seems the best way to do it is for people to just send a personal payment to my Paypal account, simply using my email address – [email protected] - as the ‘person’ receiving the money.

It also seems to be better to pay using your bank account rather than credit or debit cards, as that results no fee being charged.

Otherwise, it seems that about 5% of what people pay may be deducted in fees by PayPal.

Hopefully that all makes sense – the link to PayPal is: https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/send

Any donation, no matter how big or small, is very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Matt Reilly

-----

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this article which might shed a little light on the situation. I think it's from 2002/2003, so he's been having money problems for a while.
http://www.vanguard-online.co.uk/archive/music/interv17.htm

Lately, Vini has gone through a rough period, culminating the death of his mother. Factory collapsed, he owed the Inland Revenue lots of money, he had no manager, no accountant. He lost his home, he lost everything. At the nadir, he was about to take his guitar down to sell it to get some money when Carol, his partner, said 'why not use it to record'. Buying instead, a portastudio, Vini ensconced himself in a cellar and came up with his new album.

Is the Sire Tape of "Viva Hate" Vini's? The easiest thing to do would be sell sell sell any Moz or other band related items on ebay. If you do sell those items you should list they are from Vini. It might help them sell better.

Has any stopped to think that this could be a scam from someone claiming to know vinni

Are you someone that knows Vinni, dlgladwin?

I was wondering if he has thought about giving private lessons. Surely that would be an easy fix?
No, I'm just a long-term fan.

If Vini could give lessons he could play, which would solve the cash problem.

If Vini could give lessons he could play, which would solve the cash problem.

Do you really need to be able to play all that well to teach? Even if you do, I bet he could still easily attract students. Just an idea anyway.

Do you really need to be able to play all that well to teach? Even if you do, I bet he could still easily attract students. Just an idea anyway.

Good suggestion Cornflakes.

I don't think that he would need to be able to play himself to give lessons. As long as his communication skills are there, he could do it. I would certainly pay to take lessons from Vini. His playing on Viva Hate was beautiful.

Re: Vini Reilly needs cash

Pity he can't get his hands on all those 'Viva Hate' royalties. Cos he did co-write all of it of course....

Easy this one !
Write a kiss and tell book about the reall Morrissey that no-ne gets to see or just threaten to write it. People will pay.

Book titles for Vinnys book people please ! things like 'Working with a northern arsehole by V Reilly'

Stupid people, so centered on Morrissey's belly button that you have to hate someone not approved by Him. Without even get to acknowledge the situation.
Have you also seen what's happening to Lawrence from Felt? Don't judge! Try to understand and show empathy.

Stupid people, so centered on Morrissey's belly button that you have to hate someone not approved by Him. Without even get to acknowledge the situation.
Have you also seen what's happening to Lawrence from Felt? Don't judge! Try to understand and show empathy.

I wouldn't be bending over backwards if Jesse Tobias or Boz was hurting for cash, either.
Times are rough for everyone. No one person can show empathy for everyone, why should Vini Reilly stand out just because we've heard his name before? I'd personally rather donate to someone who never saw royalties from music sales.
Incidentally, what's happening with Lawrence?

I don't get panhandled enough living in San Francisco, now session musicians that once worked with the great Moz are doing it too?!?!?!?! I just got laid off myself, so I don't have any sympathy. Maybe he should ask Stephen Street for a loan.

Maybe if his music wasn't pretentious unlistenable meandering artsy crap, he'd have sold more records.

Odd way to raise money . I agree with Mozbcuz on the scam idea. Like when I got a e -mail from a friend visiting London who got robbed and was now stranded . Wanted me to sent money to bank account . Very queer note so I finally got hold of my friend, asked if he was ok from all the trama . Response was "What the **** you talking about ? "

£1200 for rent,must be a nice pad,sorry this reeks of complete desperation,if he has had a stroke,well im sorry to hear that,but there are much worse off people in this world,doesnt he have family,or our so wonderful goverment might help,as they help out the scumbag junkies on free methadone,i also find it hard to beleive moz would lower his standards to go on farcebook and twatter.

Not caring, not knowing who he is, being unable or unwilling to help are all perfectly reasonable, but it's weird that people want to brag about how they don't care. I guess there isn't much else to talk about.

£1200 for rent,must be a nice pad,sorry this reeks of complete desperation,if he has had a stroke,well im sorry to hear that,but there are much worse off people in this world,doesnt he have family,or our so wonderful goverment might help,as they help out the scumbag junkies on free methadone,i also find it hard to beleive moz would lower his standards to go on farcebook and twatter.

Yeah ! Them scumbag junkies ... re-open the Colosseum , I say ! Bring on the lions ! Let's make Vini first course ( because god forbid that someone should get in a jam and subsequently have others ask for help on his behalf ... ) !

Is empathy really such a strain ?

Last edited:
I wouldn't be bending over backwards if Jesse Tobias or Boz was hurting for cash, either.
Times are rough for everyone. No one person can show empathy for everyone, why should Vini Reilly stand out just because we've heard his name before? I'd personally rather donate to someone who never saw royalties from music sales.
Incidentally, what's happening with Lawrence?

You can find it on the Internet, but Lawrence was very ill and even homeless.
I don't know how he is at the present.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom