Vini Reilly interviews

• Thread starter Deleted member 29227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29227

Not sure if these have been mentioned on here before, but over the course of these fascinating 6 interviews with VR, there's so much insight which fans would be interested in hearing about. He talks about the Smiths, the Manchester scene, the making of Viva Hate (food fights & wrestling matches), tensions in the sessions, how gifted & talented he considers Moz to be. He also references his disappointments, the lack of credit & recognition he received for his contribution to VH, & the general bad taste which he was left with. He ends by talking about Moz post-Viva Hate, writing partnerships, & how Moz manages (or doesn't) relationships. Very worthwhile viewing/listening, especially today as we're reviewing the iconic classic 'Suedehead' in the A-Z.
Some vids c.5 mins, others c.3 mins.
Here's part 1:

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting clips, but he has admitted that his comments about writing the music for Viva Hate were false. He was battling some mental health problems when this interview was recorded.

Interesting clips, but he has admitted that his comments about writing the music for Viva Hate were false. He was battling some mental health problems when this interview was recorded.
Indeed, but that issue aside, there's some great background insights as far as I'm concerned.
Despite any unfortunate mental health issues, VR seems a really great guy.

These interviews alongside Street's et al are available via the "Jewel In The Crown" DVD (2004) if anyone wants to own the documentary - later re-released together with "The Smiths - Under Review" under the name: "From Where He Came to Where He Went..."
Regards,
FWD.

These interviews alongside Street's et al are available via the "Jewel In The Crown" DVD (2004) if anyone wants to own the documentary - later re-released together with "The Smiths - Under Review" under the name: "From Where He Came to Where He Went..."
Regards,
FWD.
Do we have this, FWD?

Do we have this, FWD?
I have it on my to rip list when I fish it out of storage.
Available in full via one of its repackage names: "The Solo Years..." on YT.

Regards,
FWD.

Viva Hate is such a great album and Vini was such an integral part of it. Whatever the details around credits his guitar playing style really complimented Morrissey and gave the album a unique sound. Back then I was disappointed to hear that he wasnt part of his next phase.....a songrighting collaboration would have been very interesting.
I recall that later Morrissey gave some level of donation to support Vini/s recovery....I dont think if it was widely comunicated by the press,,,,,whhich is unusal for Morrissey:D

I like Vincent. He had an argument once in front of me about a cup of tea ☕️. The owner liked him, but then banned him from the cafe. The world is truly insane.

good guy vinny,sad that he was going through a hard time a few years back.

162048191_10158259657042532_8688692677260383469_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom