TTY: Chicago Riot Fest back on

An anonymous person writes:

According to True To You, "Morrissey is confirmed to headline the Chicago Riot Fest on Saturday, September 17."

Regarding the word 'headline' - pure speculation, but I wonder if the original hold-up was over The Misfits getting top billing?

Chicago Riot Fest - true-to-you.net
26 May 2016

Morrissey is confirmed to headline the Chicago Riot Fest on Saturday, September 17.

38705_bruce_scan.jpg

UPDATE June 1:
Link posted by an anonymous person:

Riot Fest founder Mike Petryshyn: “I needed Riot Fest more than Riot Fest needed to be created” - WGN Radio

Morrissey discussion from 2:00 - 4:00, 'there was never a doubt Morrissey was playing'.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm perfectly happy to criticise Moz where it's warranted, but the Misfits having their name before his was a bit eyebrow-raising. There's no measure by which they're a bigger draw. And it definitely does matter in terms of his PR, so not really petty at all. Admittedly, it can be argued that the world didn't really need to know about it.

One also needs to consider the context of Riot Fest, a festival that has always been heavily punk-leaning. A genre Morrissey claims to love, and one that has always been a part of his music, sometimes musically and more often thematically.

People on here are often quick to discount the importance and draw of the Misfits. However, their original run was amazing and their output was strong and varied. If you like 70 and 80s punk (like I do), the Misfits are essential, influential and unique. Danzig and Only performing together is akin to Morrissey and Marr reuniting to Misfits fans. It's really the only Misfits-era that is relevant and I believe it to be an important event. Especially for Riot Fest. So, given these factors and the charter of Riot Fest, I can see why they are top-billed.

Morrissey has a lot of support from many punk fans, but a good percentage hate him with a passion, so it will be curious to see the reaction he gets (strong, I'm sure, as there will be other stages for the haters to check out during his set) and also what sort of songs he does. Hopefully he'll keep it upbeat.

Yeah original hardcore in was good but they were only together three years and Danzig's solo stuff hasn't been great or even good Imo. The lawsuits were worse than even morrisseys lawsuits as they were using each other only two years ago. Only doesn't want any of Danzig's dark stuff but of course Danzig wrote the misfits songs. The whole wcw wrestling appearances from the "misfits" was pretty embarrassingly un camp and not fun. Most people know them from the band's that site them as an influence and the merchandise but not static age per se. Either way though what other hardcore band's do u like. I'm not much info seventies British punk but I love american hardcore say seventy nine To eighty four and the splinter scenes that came after. I like social distortion the germs black flag the minute men the descendent's the first and only the first suicidal album the weirdos and the screamers dead Kennedy's minor threat the wipers flipper gexa x Reagan youth meat puppets

but the Misfits having their name before his was a bit eyebrow-raising.:confused:

Moz tours (and cancels) all the time. This is the first time Danzig has played with the Misfits in over 20 years. They deserve to be billed over Moz.

Are Morrissey and Danzig really so different? I suppose if I were to pose this question to fans of either artist, I would be met with disgust and perhaps even projectile vomit.

Danzig, with his devil-horn groin rock, occult obsessions and unsophisticated take of women as symbols, is viewed as a steroid-pumped, complete reverse of Morrissey's sensitive, emotional and sexually ambiguous world outlook. But on Sunday, when Danzig wiped his brow with a white towel and tossed it to fevered hands in the audience, I thought of Morrissey when he pulls off his shirt and similarly tosses it to fans.
Morrissey, 49, and Danzig, 53, were born four years apart on opposite sides of the Atlantic, both from working class families. Both were influenced by singers of the 50s. Both fronted two of the most influential bands of the 1980s before embarking on successful solo careers that dipped around the same period - mid to late 90s.
Today of course Morrissey is lauded by critics while Danzig is a pariah whose stature was seriously brought down a peg after a Youtube video of him getting knocked out backstage became his biggest mainstream hit since the live video for Mother. Morrissey would never be punched backstage, he's a pacifist and his rider stipulates no meat on the premises at concerts. Danzig would like you to think he microwaves human hearts for dinner.
Both singers use their sexual appeal in the same way but attract diametrically opposite personalities. Danzig makes his heterosexuality painfully evident, as almost all his videos include a black bikini-clad, sinister woman lurking in the background. Sometimes she has wings ready to pluck Danzig up like a vulture and fly him back to her sex cave. Danzig presents a common fantasy in the heavy metal world. His appeal to women, which judging by Sunday's demographic is no small contingent, stems from the fact that he's the ultimate badass with a soft side.

Morrissey's career has been one long sexual mindf*** on his fans. The ambiguous subject of his lyrics is never clearly a man or woman, leading us to believe his relationship truths and emotions are universals. Morrissey makes heterosexual men confront their feelings, bask in their own self-indulgent misery and for women to cry over his elusive and unattainable self.
One day Morrissey will likely earn a Sir before his name while Danzig will continue dwelling reclusively in a gothic house in L.A., becoming more of a cult figure as each year passes. But if we had to choose I would go with Danzig any day. Because at least he rocked a couple thousand Toronto and Montreal fans over the weekend, and isn't unfairly punishing Canadians, using our country as an easy target for political reasons. Go to hell Morrissey, and say "hi" to Danzig when you get there.

https://nowtoronto.com/music/danzig-vs-morrissey/

I've so been waiting for someone to make this comparison and it could be made pretty easily though I think Danzig was charged with assault against a journalist while Morrissey got sued for making joke. It'd be funny to see them next to each other as Danzig is pretty short. Like Tom cruise short

That show didn’t go well either. He whined about hot dog smell the whole time and left the stage on a couple of occasions mid song. Very unprofessional and almost ruined the evening. Thankfully McCartney saved the night with an amazing set (and I’m not a huge McCartney fan either). Fran Ferdinand played right before Moz and also put on a great show. Crowd was into it. It could have been (should have been) an awesome 1-2-3 punch but Moz ended up being a soggy potato in the middle.

I was at Coachella and you are right - Moz did not put on a good show at all. What's he gonna do when BBQ'd animals perfume the air? I don't get it at all. I live in Chicago (not far from Douglas Park) and no desire to attend the Fest.

I'd go just to see Thursday reunite myself. If I didn't go anywhere meat was served I would never attend a concert a sporting event a graduation etc. if he's gonna say something about being vegan to people who aren't vegan he's gonna need to go to where those people are and speak from a platform. I don't mind his statements such as making some things meat free but he picks and chooses where he can do it and when it will have impact. He needs to do both to have his message reach the farthest. I thought he was brave to do firefly as I love not far away from there and it went down a little better than it could have

So in other words, they upped his pay and agreed to stop grilling wieners for the duration of his set?
I feel for Moz, facing an army of beer soaked Misfits fiends. This could get entertaining...

I'm perfectly happy to criticise Moz where it's warranted, but the Misfits having their name before his was a bit eyebrow-raising. There's no measure by which they're a bigger draw. And it definitely does matter in terms of his PR, so not really petty at all. Admittedly, it can be argued that the world didn't really need to know about it.

The Misfits are a huge draw. People from all over the world will come to see them. Funny, it's a little like Morrissey's situation. Sure, people love to see him play, and some travel quite far, but if he were to get together with his old band for a night... BLOOD IN THE WATER!

The Misfits are a huge draw. People from all over the world will come to see them. Funny, it's a little like Morrissey's situation. Sure, people love to see him play, and some travel quite far, but if he were to get together with his old band for a night... BLOOD IN THE WATER!

Hmmm. Well, the Misfits seem to have played one gig this year, in a 900-seat venue. In contrast Morrissey seems to be able to do 30-date US tours pretty much at will (provided he actually finishes them, of course), Madison Square Gardens here, Galen Center there. I do get that more people are going to want to see this classic line-up, but, on paper at least, they have an awful lot of catching up to do. Could they follow this festival appearance with a sellout arena tour? I don't really see it.

So in other words, they upped his pay and agreed to stop grilling wieners for the duration of his set?
I feel for Moz, facing an army of beer soaked Misfits fiends. This could get entertaining...

Hopefully they'll pelt him with festival cheese/meat/urine for being a t##t.
Because they must !

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Hmmm. Well, the Misfits seem to have played one gig this year, in a 900-seat venue. In contrast Morrissey seems to be able to do 30-date US tours pretty much at will (provided he actually finishes them, of course), Madison Square Gardens here, Galen Center there. I do get that more people are going to want to see this classic line-up, but, on paper at least, they have an awful lot of catching up to do. Could they follow this festival appearance with a sellout arena tour? I don't really see it.

There's some truth to this but it'd be a bit like marr Joyce and Andy getting back together as Smith's. Some will come And watch and enjoy but it's no gonna be the draw it'd be of they truly reunited. Also there is truth like harsh truth mentioned that this would be e crowd if there was one. A lot of them just wanna say they saw the real misfits and see the dramatic stories end. Some are real fans or course

something everybody seems to be forgetting: Riot Fest is a 3 day event: Friday, Saturday, Sunday. The Misfits will be headlining one night. Morrissey will be headlining another. So the majority of "beer soaked Misfits fans" won't be here when Moz is playing probably. And this whole lineup is stellar this year. The Specials. Tiger Army, Social Distortion, The Vandals, Bad Religion, The Falcon. Pretty damned good.

Trust me, I love Moz as much as anyone on here, and have for decades. BUT, an original Misfits reunion is waaaaay bigger than him alone playing, no matter how much of douchebags both Danzig and Only have been. Even if Moz wasn't on the bill, I would travel to it for that alone if I could!

EXACTLY!!!! The Misfits reunion is much, much larger than Morrissey will ever be again. It's nothing short of a Smiths reunion. The Misfits should definitely get top billing, hands down. This festival is three days long though. So a different act will headline each night. I guessing It'll be Misfits on Friday, Moz on Saturday, and either Ween or Social Distortion on Sunday.

Wait a sec, Morrissey doesn't headline every festival he plays. He certainly didn't headline coachella in 2009:

http://www.mtv.com/news/wp-content/uploads/buzz/2014/01/mainPoster.jpeg
Yep, Moz warmed up the stage for th
something everybody seems to be forgetting: Riot Fest is a 3 day event: Friday, Saturday, Sunday. The Misfits will be headlining one night. Morrissey will be headlining another. So the majority of "beer soaked Misfits fans" won't be here when Moz is playing probably. And this whole lineup is stellar this year. The Specials. Tiger Army, Social Distortion, The Vandals, Bad Religion, The Falcon. Pretty damned good.
LOL, I KNOW!!!!
If Danzing, Jerry Only, and Doyle did a world tour after this, it would be MaSsIvE!!!!!!!! Moz doesn't play arenas every night of a tour. I seen Morrissey in 1,200 -1,500 seat venues plenty of times. The original Misfits touring would be just like The Smiths or The Ramones touring again. If Danzig & Only can put their differences aside and make this work.............................

The Misfits may have played one 900 seat gig this year, but that wasn't THE MISFITS, with the original line-up. Huge I tells ya, this is HuGe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish it was the Lawrence arms though I agree the lineup is extremely good. Bad religion record and tour all the time but when did the vandals last get together. Feels like a while

Glenn Danzig is one of the most approachable and agreeable people you'll ever meet. If anyone goes to watch the Misfits at Riot Fest and see Glenn there, make sure you walk up and talk to him. He'd really like that.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom