TTY: Chicago Riot Fest back on

An anonymous person writes:

According to True To You, "Morrissey is confirmed to headline the Chicago Riot Fest on Saturday, September 17."

Regarding the word 'headline' - pure speculation, but I wonder if the original hold-up was over The Misfits getting top billing?

Chicago Riot Fest - true-to-you.net
26 May 2016

Morrissey is confirmed to headline the Chicago Riot Fest on Saturday, September 17.

38705_bruce_scan.jpg

UPDATE June 1:
Link posted by an anonymous person:

Riot Fest founder Mike Petryshyn: “I needed Riot Fest more than Riot Fest needed to be created” - WGN Radio

Morrissey discussion from 2:00 - 4:00, 'there was never a doubt Morrissey was playing'.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay !
Altogether now, "KFC ! KFC ! KFC ! KFC ! Get off the stage you boring old __nt.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

great photo of bruce lee,,as a huge bruce lee fan its great to see mozz and i have something in common.bruce is a huge inspirational figure in film,sport and phylosophy for millions of people the world over.

If the mixup was over the wording then Moz is very petty. He needs to realise he appeals to a very dedicated niche market. He never was, is, or will be a global crowd magnet. He's not supposed to be. Maybe if I was a millionaire singer with fanatical fans I too would bicker over the absence of the word 'headlining' but I'm not and find it hard to understand it. 'What difference does it make?'. Anyway it's good news he is appearing but it is a bit confusing for anyone who bought or returned tickets (if they are on sale already).

If the mixup was over the wording then Moz is very petty. He needs to realise he appeals to a very dedicated niche market. He never was, is, or will be a global crowd magnet. He's not supposed to be. Maybe if I was a millionaire singer with fanatical fans I too would bicker over the absence of the word 'headlining' but I'm not and find it hard to understand it. 'What difference does it make?'. Anyway it's good news he is appearing but it is a bit confusing for anyone who bought or returned tickets (if they are on sale already).

I'm perfectly happy to criticise Moz where it's warranted, but the Misfits having their name before his was a bit eyebrow-raising. There's no measure by which they're a bigger draw. And it definitely does matter in terms of his PR, so not really petty at all. Admittedly, it can be argued that the world didn't really need to know about it.

Headlining is the thing. The question was should Morrissey play a gig and not be the last act of the day on the main stage? With Morrissey the answer has to be no. He did support for Madness some years back and that didn't work. He did support for Bowie and that didn't work either. Morrissey headlines, that is appropriate. Save the best 'til last, always.

great photo of bruce lee,,as a huge bruce lee fan its great to see mozz and i have something in common.bruce is a huge inspirational figure in film,sport and phylosophy for millions of people the world over.
I couldn't agree anymore if I tried.

But you're accusing him of being petty based on If.

Well if morrissey does appeal to a niche this is for his niche as these bands and audience members for the most part really love morrissey. I don't think action is American though so I'd understand if he didn't know this. Thing is though even though the misfit are kinda a tee shirt band story band, meaning there story is much more know than there music, this is also the crowd for them and I could see why they'd get a lot of billing they wouldn't get if this wasn't the conclusion to that story. The misfits are very jersey bros into football, American, and other stuff like that and go into character once they hit the stage but there legend and the antics of Danzig over the years has only grown with the bickering and two misfits going at once stuff. The billing makes more sense as an issue to hold up finalization

Trust me, I love Moz as much as anyone on here, and have for decades. BUT, an original Misfits reunion is waaaaay bigger than him alone playing, no matter how much of douchebags both Danzig and Only have been. Even if Moz wasn't on the bill, I would travel to it for that alone if I could!

Yeah I know people are gonna be excited to see it I just think most people, and I don't mean you or those who do actually love those original records, know of the band rather than
Is ten to those records. Kinda like when flag got together. I mean a "black flag" reunion with no Finn is just really weird and for people who don't know much about the band or who wrote the lyrics or music. Morris only sand on fifteen min of music Stevenson was in the band for a bit but his fellow descendent on guitar was not, I don't wanna look up how to spell his name and I know I'll mess it up, though he's really talented. I felt that like this was for most people about celebrating the idea and story of the band they sorta knew rather than lover of the music

I still super love Morrissey but I agree an original Misfits reunion is way bigger than a Moz headlining show. A lot of people will travel to see the Misfits, but only a few of us would travel just to see a maybe Morrissey show.

Morrissey is mentally ill. He's a narcissist. He's trapped with people who perpetuate his bonkers behavior. Yes men abound.

Wait a sec, Morrissey doesn't headline every festival he plays. He certainly didn't headline coachella in 2009:

http://www.mtv.com/news/wp-content/uploads/buzz/2014/01/mainPoster.jpeg

That show didn’t go well either. He whined about hot dog smell the whole time and left the stage on a couple of occasions mid song. Very unprofessional and almost ruined the evening. Thankfully McCartney saved the night with an amazing set (and I’m not a huge McCartney fan either). Fran Ferdinand played right before Moz and also put on a great show. Crowd was into it. It could have been (should have been) an awesome 1-2-3 punch but Moz ended up being a soggy potato in the middle.

I'm confident there will be some more gigs. And if there are any as close to me or closer as Chicago, then I'm gonna try to go to those as well. Sadly the two dates he has announced other than Riot Fest aren't exactly close...... Turkey and Israel :p

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom