Top 31 Morrissey Quotes - The London Economic

Sometimes, you could swap these for Oscar Wilde and never know the difference. Anyone have any Morrissey quotes that really standout in a good way?

Sometimes, you could swap these for Oscar Wilde and never know the difference. Anyone have any Morrissey quotes that really standout in a good way?

Below is part of my collection for your reading pleasure, Anon - have fun browsing. :) Most quotes are taken from Autobiography, with the addition of some from interviews and live performances.

For our motto I choose the following:
[size=+1]“I remain the opposition – regardless of how the rules shift.”[/size]

On humans and life in general

“Does anyone go to war and win?
NO.

“Every silver lining has a cloud.”

“There is no self-discovery in a safe life.”

“Masculinity is marked out by a million intolerably exhaustive guidelines.”

“Most humans are wretched creatures – cursed by the sadness of being.”

“Death is one of many penalties of being human.”

“Few people die in a fit of hysterics.”

“Isn’t sleep the brother of death?”

“People who have been close do not need to say very much in order to wound each other.”

“...the lonely season must return, for that is what it does.”

On himself

“I can see through the human heart.”

“I am alone, of course, but that is quite usual.”

“My heart is never unbroken.”

“My zest for life is fifty fathoms below sea level.”

“It is a fact that even warming moments overwhelm me with despair, and this is why I am I.”

“Forever the bridesmaid [...] I shall evermore only exist in French inverted commas.”

“I don’t transmit sexuality of any kind [...] I don’t ever attract women, men or white rhino.”

“When you get to my age, Jonathan, if you still have hair, it’s incredible.”

On Art and the creative process

“Oh, whirlpool ‘round my heart, this is what they call creative power...”

“Faulty emotional development can ripple like the sea, and only by the creation of art can your inner isolation seem insanely worthwhile.”

“Unless I can combine poetry with recorded noise, have I any right to be?”

“Blend noise and words and save the world. I say this not to myself, but to an imaginary upstart – out there, somewhere – for even the lyrics in the songs that I love are by no means fine art; they merely fit well beside the dexterity of voice and instrument.”

“The singer sings to the dreamer, and the dreamer confirms unfolding pleasure.”

“The arts translate life into film and literature and music and repeat a deadly poison: the monotonous in life must be protected at all costs.
But protected from what?
From you and I."

On nature and places

“Metal and stones and slabs are all that we know. Nature would kill us – as we are killing it.”

“The north is a separate country – one of wild night landscapes of affectionate affliction. There are no known technological links apart from the telephone box on the corner, and this can always be relied upon to be out of order.”

“Exactly where the sun has come from and how it ends up in Dublin is an environmental mystery.”

“Time at Hook End had always been a time to reflect on velvet lawns of dreaming spires where the quiet winds its way.”

On specific people

On the Smiths:
“Surviving the Smiths is not something that should be attempted twice.”

On A. E. Housman:
“The unresolved heart worked against him in life, but it connected him to the world of poetry, where he allowed (in)complete strangers under his skin.”

On James Dean:
“...the poet within sighs at the likelihood that Dean himself once occupied these chairs with a wide sprawl of the legs – the stuck pupil awaiting the final bell so that he might be free to become eternal.”

On Lypsinka:
“She hints at the sex act as either a service or a personal favor (but then, what else is it?)”

On John Weeks:
“May you turn in your urn.”

For a nice closing – On touch
“Money doesn’t change you; there’s only one thing that can change you, and that is touch. Touch, touch, touch. Which is why we are all scared to death of touch.”

What is the greatest myth about fame?

"That someone somewhere consequently wants to sleep with you.” – Morrissey.

Back
Top Bottom