Tony Fletcher (author of A Light That Never Goes Out) recommends black music, but...

Excerpt:

The Smiths? There’s more blackness in the music than you might initially perceive. Read about it. Search it out. And then boycott Morrissey’s music because he’s turned into your horrible racist grandfather. Seriously, stop apologizing for the guy and stop listening to his recent music. He’s an embarrassment.

Last edited by a moderator:
“Why is it” and “should be” that should say in a couple typos above. Wish there was an edit function.
20200604_025814.jpg

20200604_025838.jpg

Save changes.

Regards,
FWD.

Save changes.

Regards,
FWD.

Hmmm...odd. I’m not seeing that menu of options. Only the “+quote” and “reply” buttons on the right side. I also don’t see the button where you can “like” a post with an emoji thing either. Maybe something in my browser blocking those functions or incompatible? I’m using Firefox for iPad. Weird.

Could it be some functions aren’t showing up because I never received my confirmation email (though it lets me login and post anyway)? I’ve clicked “re-send confirmation email” several times but it never arrives (and yes, I’ve checked junk mail).

Hmmm...odd. I’m not seeing that menu of options. Only the “+quote” and “reply” buttons on the right side. I also don’t see the button where you can “like” a post with an emoji thing either. Maybe something in my browser blocking those functions or incompatible? I’m using Firefox for iPad. Weird.

Could it be some functions aren’t showing up because I never received my confirmation email (though it lets me login and post anyway)? I’ve clicked “re-send confirmation email” several times but it never arrives (and yes, I’ve checked junk mail).

Yes, you need to confirm email, I just set it to confirmed. Don't know why you're not getting the emails as others appear to be going through.

“The Smiths? There’s more blackness in the music than you might initially perceive. Read about it. Search it out.”

Take any rock or pop song, read about it, search it out and you’ll most likely find that somewhere down the line black music will be its source.

Even Morrissey’s solo music. :fearscream:

?

leave it to skinny to find this super nutter.?
:swearREAD ABOUT IT:swear
:drama: SEARCH IT OUT:drama:

the twerp writes fanzines FFS
what a hapless twat of cuck this skinny knob is(n)

“Why is it” and “should be” that should say in a couple typos above. Wish there was an edit function.

There is an edit function - it's on the bottom left, next to report. Just click on it.

Yes, you need to confirm email, I just set it to confirmed. Don't know why you're not getting the emails as others appear to be going through.
Thanks, those other functions are there now. Still nothing in my email. I have my own domain, it’s not Gmail or Hotmail, etc., but it must be getting filtered out by the server for some reason and not even sent to junk mail. I even tried setting a filter exception for Morrissey-solo.com, so it should go through. Very odd. I have no other email problems I’m aware of.

What a moronic quote from a Fletcher, but unsurprising given the typical mindset of Brit media types now when it comes to Morrissey. They are utterly unhinged - even worse than in the ‘90s with the NME‘s “get Morrissey” campaign.

And does Fletcher not understand that that quote actually paints him as the racist one, even while he panders to blacks and the left? Why does he feel the need justify The Smiths‘ music on grounds that there is “really a lot of blackness in the music“? What does that even mean, and why it assumed to be good if so? And is Fletcher the arbiter of “blackness”? Conversely, if he thought The Smiths’ music had too much “whiteness,” would Fletcher deem that a flaw? Why does he think “blackness“ in music should she assumed to be good, but “whiteness” by implication assumed to be bad?

Basically Fletcher is just a self-righteous, self-hating, virtue-signaling, pandering twat. In other words - a typical British leftist.

I can't sleep so I may as well harp on -

Why does Tony think white people don't/haven't listened to a lot of black music just because he hasn't?

Why does he think he's the right person to write about black music NOW just because in his 50s he's started listening to it?

By saying Morrissey is an embarrassment - he's making it about the way Moz reflects on him not Moz's impact on black people (if any).

Also - the money thing. He wants people to boycott Thelma Houston. While he still recommends The Smiths - despite the Moz Crimes including Panic being about lynching black DJs.

It's convenient that people can still listen to the music that Fletcher wrote a book about, made by the all-white band.

But they should stop listening to the music Morrissey is making with people of colour.

They never really think it through.
It's not that they don't think it through, it's that they don't actually have a clue what they're talking about and they're crashing bores to boot!

What about the Motown beat of This Charming Man? The guitar sound on William It Was Really Nothing or Nowhere Fast - listen to "Good Times" by Chic. Johnny Marr's jangle is really derived from that kind of bright, syncopated guitar.

I've heard this type of thing from Johnny himself but lets be honest here, The Smiths are the polar opposite of Chic in every way going. If you like Chic fair though but there is no link to The Smiths.

snip...
While he still recommends The Smiths - despite the Moz Crimes including Panic being about lynching black DJs.
Take this notorious interview (worth a read) from Melody Maker - September, '86:
Add in Marr's comments in NME - February, '87 (as cited by myself):

Sprinkle a bit of Marr threatening the author of the Melody Maker article as he was so incensed.
Then transpose all of that over the Panic lyrics...
I suspect (as already confirmed by some) the most people remember from the time is the Morrissey / Steve Wright t-shirt DJ hanging - despite reading the 'conspiracy' article when it first appeared - I never then saw Panic as relating to lynching black artists or similar.
It feels like revisionism at work when I see things that were not an issue at the time morph in to tools to prop up angry agendas today.
Regards,
FWD.

I've heard this type of thing from Johnny himself but lets be honest here, The Smiths are the polar opposite of Chic in every way going. If you like Chic fair though but there is no link to The Smiths.

Johnny wrote the music so he should know.

Take this notorious interview (worth a read) from Melody Maker - September, '86:
Add in Marr's comments in NME - February, '87 (as cited by myself):

Sprinkle a bit of Marr threatening the author of the Melody Maker article as he was so incensed.
Then transpose all of that over the Panic lyrics...
I suspect (as already confirmed by some) the most people remember from the time is the Morrissey / Steve Wright t-shirt DJ hanging - despite reading the 'conspiracy' article when it first appeared - I never then saw Panic as relating to lynching black artists or similar.
It feels like revisionism at work when I see things that were not an issue at the time morph in to tools to prop up angry agendas today.
Regards,
FWD.

Thank you for the links!

I agree. There's a lot of revisionism.

God bless him - he was saying he thought the music business was pushing escapist modern black pop music because none of the lyrics had social commentary.

And that has been turned into - Morrissey thinks black people are conspiring to block his career.

It's been an accident waiting to happen.

“And then boycott Morrissey’s music because he’s turned into your horrible racist grandfather.”

:laughing::ha-no:

Didn’t know that everyone has horrible racist grandfathers. Maybe only Tony does, so he assumes it to be the norm?

Morrissey is not horrible, not racist, and not a grandfather. And I’m sure he’s proud not to be any of these things.

‘Boycott Morrissey’s music’ ?!

The Smiths IS Morrissey’s music.

Anyhoo ....

I will never say I told you so
Or how I knew that something bad
Would happen to you
I don't want to say I told you so
Oh, but Tony, I told you so!!!
I told you so

:cool:

That you write disparagingly about the role in life of a grandfather, speaks volumes to the simpleton you are. You show yourself to be a f***ing clown just like Morrissey time and time again.

Johnny wrote the music so he should know.
Yeah and I did acknowledge that but when he said it I personally couldn't and still can't see any connection, open to individual interpretation I guess.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom