Tom Chaplin of Keane covers "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself?"

Remember this? Better imo

it is better as they keep the stop start pause that causes the lyrics to feel like a blow though its still missing the breezy bit a bit. his voice in the lower register for sure is better though im not a killers fan

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the camp that prefers the Killers' version. Chaplin is too whiney. I haven't followed Keane since 'Hopes and Fears' - it was a good album but nothing else they ever released really came close. Like pretty much all of those 'No Wave' /'Nu Wave' 'Scene with no Name' bands circa 2004 they've not really amounted to a lot.

Ha! I do actually remember reading somewhere that M once declined a duet with Mr Flowers.

I was watching an interview from 2009 the other night (yea, I'm super creepy) and he said he doesn't want to sing with anyone. Haha!

^^ 5:00 in.

Forgot about this interview, thanks. Watching Morrissey clips on a weekend evening? Isn't that completely normal for us folk?:D

I was watching an interview from 2009 the other night (yea, I'm super creepy) and he said he doesn't want to sing with anyone. Haha!

crystal ball and a couple of other songs from under the iron sea were also pretty good. the one about suicide was also great. i have a thing for suicide songs i guess.

Forgot about this interview, thanks. Watching Morrissey clips on a weekend evening? Isn't that completely normal for us folk?:D

I just watched it so in the words of Michael Jackson...you are not alone.

I like his attitude towards cover versions of his songs. He sees it as a compliment and appreciates the effort whether he likes it or not, as well he should. And the fact that very few if any of them approach the original version shows the underlying strength of his music. Sometimes it takes someone to attempt a cover to really give one a full appreciation for the magnificence of the original.

As for the Killers, I believe I saw on here a list of openers for Moz and the Killers only opened once. Putting the pieces together...he doesn't like to duet, he was upstaged by David Bowie as an opening act. It makes sense that he would choose less impactful/popular acts to open for him. He wants to be the center of attention when he performs, and why shouldn't he be.

I'm not keen on this version. This is one of my favorite Morrissey songs; when I'm bored, I watch the video over and over again. The 'gold shirt and perfectly fitting jeans' era is absolute perfection.

lynnda

I find this... horrible. Everything I can't stand in music. Piano, the voice performance.

Horrible, that's the word. I'm going to listen to the original to wash my ears !

I'm not keen on this version. This is one of my favorite Morrissey songs; when I'm bored, I watch the video over and over again. The 'gold shirt and perfectly fitting jeans' era is absolute perfection.

lynnda

Ditto. The original version is pretty damn near perfect.

I absolutely LOVE this interview. I've watched it many times!

I have Keane's first album, but I haven't listened to anything else they've put out. As for this video...I can't seem to bring myself to press play. Sorry.

Re: Tom Chaplin of Keane covers "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself?"

I don't want him to sing with anyone. Interlude was quite enough :)

- - - Updated - - -

lynnda

What video are you talking about? The gold shirt era was Kill Uncle/Your Arsenal.

Re: Tom Chaplin of Keane covers "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself?"

I don't want him to sing with anyone. Interlude was quite enough :)

- - - Updated - - -

What video are you talking about? The gold shirt era was Kill Uncle/Your Arsenal.

i was thinking the same but i just figured there was something i was un aware of. be curious to know

As always a cover version of Moz pales into insignificance compared to the real thing. Why do they bother. I won't even give that last sentence a question mark at the end.

"Suggestions now welcome for next time"

I suggest there not be a next time.

i tried to think of a song he might be suited for but it was hard. that joke isnt funny anymore might work for his range and register but really there voices are not suitably comparable

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom