Thelma Houston: “The Enduring Diva Of Divas” - Instinct Magazine (Morrissey mentions)

Shared via:

Originally by Jeremy Hinks - February 15, 2020 for Instinct Magazine:

"JH: I was born into the world 10 years late for a lot of the music that I like, but this next person I want to mention is one for my age group and who I listened to a lot since I was a teenager… How did you ever end up working with Morrissey? Everyone is astounded at this. No one works with Morrissey, and the song is so good, and it’s so different, does not sound like it’s yours, and certainly doesn’t sound like Morrissey, it’s such an amazing clash of sounds and styles, and I think it should be the opening theme of a James Bond film.

TH: Okay, an unlikely story, yes, no one works with Morrissey, some years ago I was writing with a young man, a bass player. We were doing a fundraiser, and we just clicked, and we formed a little band. He had a DJ setup, and he would play bass and sample, and our group is called “42” ’cause that’s the difference in our ages. So we did this cover of Morrissey ‘Suedehead’ and I had never heard of the guy. The reception was great, and we did a Foo Fighters’ song too. We did a little 45 of ‘Suedehead’, and then a few years later, I got an email from Morrissey, and he asked me if I would like to record with him. So I worked with him in the studio. So when he played at the Hollywood Bowl recently, he had me perform at his after party. And I just found out that the song is going to be THE SINGLE he released for this album. In the studio he was just a gentleman. And when I asked him “Well, how do you want me to do this?” He said “Well, I don’t really know, I don’t usually work with people on vocals, so, I’ll do my part, and you sing however you think it should sound.” He took a back seat and didn’t tell me how to do anything, he just let me sing."

Regards,
FWD

" He took a back seat and didn’t tell me how to do anything, he just let me sing."

Maybe he shouldn't .... " You can't hide it !!!! ... Bobbyyyyy " :rolleyes:

Great find, FWD. Thanks for sharing. Intriguing that he even has after-show parties, let alone choses people to perform at them!

Great one, thanks for posting.
But when/how can we actually hear her version of Suedehead? Doesn't seem to be anywhere on YouTube?

Great one, thanks for posting.
But when/how can we actually hear her version of Suedehead? Doesn't seem to be anywhere on YouTube?
It isn't anywhere in full to hear.
I messaged her agent when I first found out about the 500 copies of the 7", but haven't received a reply. It's on my auction watch list...
Regards,
FWD.

Original information:

Great find, FWD. Thanks for sharing. Intriguing that he even has after-show parties, let alone choses people to perform at them!
Yeah. It's a wonder he didn't ask her on stage at the Bowl to sing it with him.

I reckon the California Son has a few black Gumars. I reckon him and the other Thelma, (Thelma from Good Times) dated when they were in high school in LA back in the 70's. I reckon I hope Nancy doesn't find out fek'll tit draft c*** chipper curry northern base lives in hotels inn nn nnnn nnn nn nnn n nnn n it.

"Starstruck," "diva of divas." A little over the top, no? I'd never heard of her until the Morrissey collaboration.

I can recommend her fabulous 1969 album «Sunshower», produced by the incomparable Jimmy Webb.

Some may not have heard of Thelma - but everyone has heard 'Don't Leave Me This Way'?
Indeed.
I suspect her covering Anthony Newley would have endeared her to Moz a long time back too (72/73).
Regards,
FWD.

It’s great to see Moz mixing things up by having other singers on his tracks, but I’d like to hear a version of Bobby with just Moz on. Hopefully one will surface on a deluxe version of IANADOAC.

most surprising thing is M had an afterparty.wonder who was there.the good,the too good and the hangers on.good to hear chloe Sevigny had her first child,she has been spoken about on here many times over the years,good for her.

Someone find the suede head cover.....

Now it all makes sense. She really does sound like she is winging it!

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom