The World Still Won't Listen - Download

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
Some time ago Grahamchard uploaded loads of cover versions (see this thread - http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=63680), and some of the songs from this album (http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Still-Wont-Listen-Tribute/dp/B00004SAYF/sr=1-2/qid=1168780962/ref=sr_1_2/202-6433821-6358235?ie=UTF8&s=music) were present in some of the compilations. Someone kindly passed me a copy yesterday, and I thought it would be selfish to keep it to myself. If you're like me and you like a bit of noisy music, and love The Smiths & Moz, then you're going to like this album. Tracklisting as follows:

Various Artists - The World Still Won't Listen - Tribute to The Smiths (& Morrissey)

1: Dare To Defy - Shoplifters Of The World Unite
2: Down By Law - London
3: Anal c*** - You're Gonna Need Somone On Your Side
4: Subzero - What Difference Does It Make
5: The Meatmen - How Soon Is Now
6: H20 - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
7: Sweet Diesel - Handsome Devil
8: Slapshot - Bigmouth Strikes Again
9: Screw 32 - You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby
10: Leeway - The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
11: Youth Brigade - What She Said
12: Vision - Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before
13: Edgewise - Half A Person
14: The Business - Panic
15: 59 Times The Pain - Sweet & Tender Hooligan
16: Home 33 - This Night Has Opened My Eyes
17: Walleye - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
18: Lament - Back To The Old House

Download link - http://www.sendspace.com/file/mmonos

Enjoy!

Peter

P.S The Vision track is an absolute cracker (in my opinion)

P.P.S - The download file is .RAR format (similar to .ZIP) - if you can't open the archive, get the program here http://www.rarlab.com/

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks a lot for sharing this :)

Thanks for this Pete.

I noticed that Amazon has two entries for this product, one dated 1996 and one in 2000. Are these the same product simply reissued/repackaged ?.

Cheers feller - I was looking at this on Amazon t'other day as I was buying a few CDs and the cheapest price for this was like £25 (used) -> WTF?

;)

EDIT: You saved me not only £25 but my sanity too, what a pile o'**** (sorry) - ;)

This album totally backs up my argument that 99.9% of Morrissey written lyrics need to be sang by the great man himself. I cringed at the American* accents screaming those vocals (literally). That said Lament, H20, Sweet Diesel and Youth Brigade were my favourites.

* = NB: I'm not being xenophobic there, it's in the same way that I couldn't imagine Elvis being an Englishman etc..

Last edited:
Thanks for the acknowlegement Uncle
Glad the covers where well used:)

Various Artists - The World Still Won't Listen - Tribute to The Smiths (& Morrissey)

1: Dare To Defy - Shoplifters Of The World Unite
2: Down By Law - London
3: Anal c*** - You're Gonna Need Somone On Your Side
4: Subzero - What Difference Does It Make
5: The Meatmen - How Soon Is Now
6: H20 - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
7: Sweet Diesel - Handsome Devil
8: Slapshot - Bigmouth Strikes Again
9: Screw 32 - You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby
10: Leeway - The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
11: Youth Brigade - What She Said
12: Vision - Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before
13: Edgewise - Half A Person
14: The Business - Panic
15: 59 Times The Pain - Sweet & Tender Hooligan
16: Home 33 - This Night Has Opened My Eyes
17: Walleye - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
18: Lament - Back To The Old House

[/URL][/QUOTE]

I've never gotten this because all of these groups are unknown to me...I've always prefered The Smiths Is Dead...

Why can't Manchester produce a tribute album of Smiths songs....Stone Roses, Oasis, Inspiral Carpets, etc...even New Order...

After all, The Cure appeared on The Depeche Mode Tribute album

I've never gotten this because all of these groups are unknown to me...I've always prefered The Smiths Is Dead...

Why can't Manchester produce a tribute album of Smiths songs....Stone Roses, Oasis, Inspiral Carpets, etc...even New Order...

After all, The Cure appeared on The Depeche Mode Tribute album

It's supposed to be a hard rock/punk tribute. I was hoping/am still hoping for a more professional tribute album of actually talented, accomplished artists. There are enough recorded covers to just get the permission of Moz and the bands that covered the songs in question and just assemble a running order. And even if a new one was to recorded from scratch, there are more than enough good bands that are influenced by The Smiths.

As for the quality of these covers:
Shoplifters wasn't that bad, it wasn't good, but it was the best punk cover of a Smiths song you're ever gonna hear. London wasn't that awful but still not very good, and What Difference Does It Make? was embarrasing. But the absolute worst one, one of the worst songs or performances of a song I have ever heard, was You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side. I cannot even begin to describe how much I loathe that version. After that I just had to stop listening for the sake of my sanity.

Yeah, I heard It was a punk compilation back then...

but like I said who are these people??

Anthrax did a good version of London

Yeah, I heard It was a punk compilation back then...

but like I said who are these people??

Anthrax did a good version of London

Most punk bands aren't widely know, and those who are usually become more mainstream to actually breakthrough (like Green Day, though I like Green Day), and since they are in a completely different "circle", as opposed to say having Suede in the same "circle" as Morrissey, no one hear is gonna have heard of these bands.

Green Day is/was not Punk

They are Seattle-Inspired....

Does anyone have the The Queen Is Dead tribute LP brought out with the great French mag Les Inrockuptibles c 10 years ago and would they be willing to share it on here?

Does anyone have the The Queen Is Dead tribute LP brought out with the great French mag Les Inrockuptibles c 10 years ago and would they be willing to share it on here?

<Looks in CD case>.....yes, yes I do. Hold the line caller...

Peter

And here we go, freshly ripped, just for you...
http://www.sendspace.com/file/lxel4x

And a nice pic from the CD insert...
358589963_6b4c9d2f6a_o.jpg

Best Wishes all,

Peter

I just remembered I had a real rarity in my hands once. When this album was released, Radio 5 reviewed it, and as I'd offered to speak my brains on the matter live on the radio, as yer average punter, they sent me a promo copy of The Smiths Is Dead. It had a note from the magazine inside explaining the tracks, and a minimally printed CD. I kept it for a few years, then sent it to a lady in California, as I'd offered it to a fan as a gift. Wonder who got it, it's some years ago now...

Peter

Back
Top Bottom