Question The Thorn in Mrs. Rose's Side

ZOOM FROM GLOOM

LASCIATE OGNI SPERANZA!
“The Thorn in Mrs. Rose's Side is the debut album by Biff Rose. It was released in 1968 ...”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thorn_in_Mrs._Rose's_Side

There has been some speculation about the meaning behind The Boy With A Thorn In Side. Morrissey once explained the meaning himself.
I don’t own all the books on The Smiths/Morrissey. But does anyone know if Morrissey has ever mentioned what inspired the title?

I was listening to Mama’s Boy by Biff Rose, it’s a song Morrissey included in his pre-show Vegas 2021 music, I assume the song may have a deeper meaning for him personally, especially at this time.

Last edited:
“The Thorn in Mrs. Rose's Side is the debut album by Biff Rose. It was released in 1968 ...”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thorn_in_Mrs._Rose's_Side

There has been some speculation about the meaning behind The Boy With A Thorn In Side. Morrissey himself once explained the meaning himself.
I don’t own all the books on The Smiths/Morrissey. But does anyone know if Morrissey has ever mentioned what inspired the title?

I was listening to Mama’s Boy by Biff Rose, it’s a song Morrissey included in his pre-show Vegas 2021 music, I assume the song may have a deeper meaning for him personally, especially at this time.

Have a feeling this is due to the Bowie/Tiny Tim connections to Rose & Knutson being a huge Tim fan too (several band posts featuring Tim at the time also).
See the song: Fill Your Heart.
Regards,
FWD.

Have a feeling this is due to the Bowie/Tiny Tim connections to Rose & Knutson being a huge Tim fan too (several band posts featuring Tim at the time also).
See the song: Fill Your Heart.
Regards,
FWD.

Yes, thank you. I assumed that much about the Bowie/Tiny connection also.

I was just curious if Morrissey has ever mentioned the inspiration behind the title “The Boy With A..” or has he ever mentioned this particular Biff Rose album before?

The Smiths song title seems like an obvious lift from Biff Roses’s debut album title, but wouldn’t mind being corrected.

Yes, thank you. I assumed that much about the Bowie/Tiny connection also.

I was just curious if Morrissey has ever mentioned the inspiration behind the title “The Boy With A..” or has he ever mentioned this particular Biff Rose album before?

The Smiths song title seems like an obvious lift from Biff Roses’s debut album title, but wouldn’t mind being corrected.
Sorry, been a bit busy else I'd have given it some more time other than the bit I knew for sure above.
Just looking at the archive here, the old university 'influences' site, a couple of wayback-only pages and scanning all the books I've shared here previously for the name - no she's not been cited as an influence on the title that I can currently see.
Well, until now :)
FWD.

Back
Top Bottom