The Sunday Times editorial: "Bigmouths Strike Again" (April 25, 2021)

Have you broken character???

No, I don't think he does. He seems to live on the road, in hotels.
But for the most part in LA, though, right?

yes
solid Irish English working class back ground. But in London instead of Manchester. he comes across as a kind of good-natured and affable guy, maybe a bit like the Who's Roger Daltrey who also has this working class and Brexit thing going. Lydon claims to "see through Biden" and "understand" Trump and his normal working class supporters.
(Today's The Sunday Times again)

Our poor Moz, as usual, doesn't really fit into any type, does he? Too radical, too conservative. Too sophisticated, too blunt. Too arty, too primitive.

Surely, Moz isn't easy to pigeonhole, therefore isn't very well suited for 3-paragraph articles. It also doesn't help that he's not comfortable with people, seemingly chooses to interact with few people other than his core of close ones and perhaps his idols and very mistrustful of people he's not familiar with.

For what I can tell, Johnny Lydon relates to people in ways that are more familiar and recognizable to many of us. That probably makes him more acceptable.

But for the most part in LA, though, right?

I'm not sure about that.

He said he was in Berlin so often he was looking for a loft - but got distracted.

I should imagine he was in Manchester a lot for his Mum.

Surely, Moz isn't easy to pigeonhole, therefore isn't very well suited for 3-paragraph articles. It also doesn't help that he's not comfortable with people, seemingly chooses to interact with few people other than his core of close ones and perhaps his idols and very mistrustful of people he's not familiar with.

For what I can tell, Johnny Lydon relates to people in ways that are more familiar and recognizable to many of us. That probably makes him more acceptable.
yup

i'd say
many of us would like to think we're something like Lydon (or some other cheerful likeable guy)
but
if we scratch underneath we probably often are bit like moz (or what he sings/talks about)
and
as hinted at earlier
we want to see what we'd like to be and we don't want to see what we truly are

Last edited:
I'm not sure about that.

He said he was in Berlin so often he was looking for a loft - but got distracted.

Yeah, he was probably in MCR for the most part of last year. But when did he say that thing re Berlin?

yes
solid Irish English working class back ground. But in London instead of Manchester. he comes across as a kind of good-natured and affable guy, maybe a bit like the Who's Roger Daltrey who also has this working class and Brexit thing going. Lydon claims to "see through Biden" and "understand" Trump and his normal working class supporters.
(Today's The Sunday Times again)

Our poor Moz, as usual, doesn't really fit into any type, does he? Too radical, too conservative. Too sophisticated, too blunt. Too arty, too primitive.
Ringo Starr has spoken out about supporting Brexit. Ringo is a working-class Liverpudlian. Morrissey is a working-class Mancunian with Irish roots. John Lydon is a working-class Londoner with Irish roots. Roger Daltrey is a working-class Londoner?

Some thought it might be about Robert Smith from The Cure or Ian Curtis from Joy Division but he died many years ago.

His autobiography.
Huh! I don’t remember that part, but I like the idea of him living in Berlin. Probably my favorite city.

Huh! I don’t remember that part, but I like the idea of him living in Berlin. Probably my favorite city.

It's easy to miss things as he drifts along like a wee moany zephyr. But it's packed with information.

I have a lot of theatre connections there because they love absurdism & the UK pretty much doesn't, unless its Sir Ian McKellen & one of the Doctor Whos in Waiting For Godot. Again.

It's easy to miss things as he drifts along like a wee moany zephyr. But it's packed with information.

I have a lot of theatre connections there because they love absurdism & the UK pretty much doesn't, unless its Sir Ian McKellen & one of the Doctor Whos in Waiting For Godot. Again.
It sure is!

Haha, I understand. But what’s your connection to absurdism?

I'm not sure about that.

Some of these places might have a David Bowie connection like Berlin and Switzerland. Then there is Paris and Rome. David Bowie probably spent a bit of time in LA. I don't know about Malibu. David Bowie seemed to love New York. Morrissey likes Dublin maybe because his family originally came from that part of Ireland.

Bowdon, Cheshire was where his Mum lived in Greater Manchester.

It sure is!

Haha, I understand. But what’s your connection to absurdism?

It's part of my style - blood tub, decadence, absurdism, black comedy...

I try to get involved with it whenever possible.

It's partly why I'm so devoted to Morrissey because I really struggled with tone - being flippant & sincere - & he's so good he can turn on a hair pin.

It's part of my style - blood tub, decadence, absurdism, black comedy...

I try to get involved with it whenever possible.

It's partly why I'm so devoted to Morrissey because I really struggled with tone - being flippant & sincere - & he's so good he can turn on a hair pin.
Ah, yes. Makes perfect sense. And I share that love for absurdism/black comedy/gallows humor etc. Have you read The Hermit by Ionesco?

I'm not sure about that.

Didn't Morrissey say he loved London at one point? By coincidence David Bowie grew up partly in London.

I'm not sure about that.

Don't forget Switzerland.

I think people just think he still lives in LA because it was such a big thing when he moved there in the 90s and they also love to make it look like he's living a disconnected existence in his Hollywood ivory tower...
But he sold his house there in 2005 and since then he seems to have divided his time between England (mostly Manchester), Dublin, Rome, Berlin, LA and Lausanne.

Regarding Berlin - I know he likes Mitte, which is completely incomprehensible to me. Whenever I'm in Berlin, which is fairly often, I try to avoid Mitte like the plague.

Last edited:
Don't forget Switzerland.

I think people just think he still lives in LA because it was such a big thing when he moved there in the 90s and they also love to make it look like he's living a disconnected existence in his Hollywood ivory tower...
But he sold his house there in 2005 and since then he seems to have divided his time between England (mostly Manchester) , Dublin, Berlin, LA and Lausanne.

Regarding Berlin - I know he likes Mitte, which is completely incomprehensible to me. When I'm in Berlin, which is fairly often, I try to avoid Mitte like the plague.
Mitte?! I’m with you on this one. Not the most intriguing part of the city.
Can’t believe I’ve missed the fact that Moz loves Berlin. Amazing!

Regarding LA, he does seem to spend a lot of time there, despite not having a proper home there since 05. But yeah, he’s definitely more of a nomad nowadays.

I have.

I was steeped in that stuff as a teenager.
I’m glad! Isn’t it a great novel? I discovered Kafka as a teenager (still my favorite writer, read everything he’s ever written), but most of the other stuff a bit later.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom