The Smiths will NEVER reform but will we see a Morrissey/Marr composition again?

At this point, I don't think either of them want it to seem like they need the other to be successful...if anything, they are further apart now than ever before with Marr getting a good amount of attention as a solo act. His recent success, to me, seems like it validates his feelings that he did the right thing in leaving The Smiths. I imagine Marr would see it as a step backwards to collaborate with Morrissey again. Would it be? Probably...but he's not doing his music any favors as a lyricist and frontman.

Morrissey's biggest problem has always been Morrissey. I think when it comes down to it, Morrissey doesn't really need Marr to be successful...he just needs to buck up and fulfill his obligations to his record company. He seems to forget that he works for them, not the other way around. 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business' would be a much bigger deal right now (even with the tour cancelled) had he kept his mouth shut about Twitter, gave a few interviews to some magazines and newspapers, and made about 3-4 appearances on various shows as a musical guest. Of course, he did none of this and we're 2 weeks away from what critics are calling his best album in 20 years and all he has to show for it in promotion are a handful of Youtube videos, a few failed-to-chart non-single digital downloads, some wheat posters, and a billboard outside Capitol Records.

Recent success? I don't think Marr's solo album would be classed as a clear cut success - anyone have the sales figures of chart placing to hand?

He's currently second on the bill at the Moseley folk festival.....

Boz has been Morrissey's ideal Johnny for 24 years now: he plays the guitar and doesn't say 'no' to Morrissey.

I would say it's inevitable.

P.

But you've been saying that since NineteenForgetAboutIt....:p

On a long enough timeline everything is inevitable :thumb:

Live for the now. Man :o

Recent success? I don't think Marr's solo album would be classed as a clear cut success - anyone have the sales figures of chart placing to hand?

He's currently second on the bill at the Moseley folk festival.....

I don't know the details about the financial success of the album, but it was a critical success for Marr and, coupled with all the publicity he did, helped raise his stock as a solo artist and enduring figure among the Indie scene. After the failure of Boomslang he was barely heard from until his sidekick stints with Modest Mouse and the Cribs...which I'm sure he did solely to help get his solo record off the ground. He's more revered now than he has been at any point in his career.

I don't know the details about the financial success of the album, but it was a critical success for Marr and, coupled with all the publicity he did, helped raise his stock as a solo artist and enduring figure among the Indie scene. After the failure of Boomslang he was barely heard from until his sidekick stints with Modest Mouse and the Cribs...which I'm sure he did solely to help get his solo record off the ground. He's more revered now than he has been at any point in his career.

couldn't disagree more.

Marr has ALWAYS had critical support and media backing despite the quality of the work. I'd be really interested to see the figures and the placings for his recent efforts. The NME have always backed him and recently they gave him that joke award, that's about it in terms of his stock rising.

If World Peace was to be a commercial failure even if it remains a critical success maybe Morrissey looks at things a bit differently for the second album he is under contract to do. I mean what if WP peaked at #17 on the UK charts and failed to dent America at all? Morrissey would be obviously dissatisfied and disappointed. And at that point he might think that the current band has run its course of usefulness and if he wants to continue to have success he has to make some more drastic changes -- perhaps giving Johnny a phone call. You never know.

On a side note it might be cool to see Morrissey collaborate with some other musicians for the second album. If he wants a chart hit all he has to do really is call up some major artist that's a fan and boom he gets a huge publicity boost and can even put out a hit single.

If World Peace was to be a commercial failure even if it remains a critical success maybe Morrissey looks at things a bit differently for the second album he is under contract to do. I mean what if WP peaked at #17 on the UK charts and failed to dent America at all? Morrissey would be obviously dissatisfied and disappointed. And at that point he might think that the current band has run its course of usefulness and if he wants to continue to have success he has to make some more drastic changes -- perhaps giving Johnny a phone call. You never know.

This would never happen. He never accepts responsibility for anything. It's always the record company's fault. Or Mike Joyce's fault. Or Alanis Morissette's fault. It could never be his band's fault, or anything to do with his infallible conceptualization of what "pop music" is.

But damn it, that's why he's the f***ing man. Or not-man. Oops.

This would never happen. He never accepts responsibility for anything. It's always the record company's fault. Or Mike Joyce's fault. Or Alanis Morissette's fault. It could never be his band's fault, or anything to do with his infallible conceptualization of what "pop music" is.

But damn it, that's why he's the f***ing man. Or not-man. Oops.

I agree I don't see that as likely but given his conscious move to advance this album musically as opposed to going for a Quarry 4.0 he might be willing to be more aggressive if he really wants to prolong his career which I'm sure he does. I'm not saying ditch Boz because he wouldn't do that but maybe for album purposes mainly work with Boz and Johnny in tandem and Tobias would be welcome to contribute his written songs and join the band live.

Adding Johnny to the mix would only improve the band and in this scenario you don't have to fire anyone or run the risk of bringing in new musicians that might not be good fits.

Not saying this would be at all likely but it would be cool.

Interesting speculation. Who knows if JM has a box of cassette demos labelled 'For Morrissey with love?
Or if the'd write stuff together incognito and pass it on to others.
Morrissey would have to assume a different lyrical persona
but then he is writing a novel so he has the skill to present as someone utterly unlike "Morrissey"
as all gifted writers can do.

You never knowwhat these mad genius types get up to offstage off camera

I was once firmly in the "never again and stop dreaming" camp. But, interestingly, Jesse seems to have found a second gear on this new album (the first, obviously, chug-chug, bend that note till it breaks): light, Smithsian jangle. While Alain wrote material that was sometimes light on its feet, nothing was ever in that true blue Smiths style. It leaves one to wonder if Morrissey is opening the door stylistically to a venture with Marr. I do think that if it were to happen it would be via Fed Ex'ed demos; I have a hard time picturing them working closely together again as in the Haties. I also imagine there would have to be a private and very uncomfortable airing of grievances first.

I was once firmly in the "never again and stop dreaming" camp. But, interestingly, Jesse seems to have found a second gear on this new album (the first, obviously, chug-chug, bend that note till it breaks): light, Smithsian jangle. While Alain wrote material that was sometimes light on its feet, nothing was ever in that true blue Smiths style. It leaves one to wonder if Morrissey is opening the door stylistically to a venture with Marr. I do think that if it were to happen it would be via Fed Ex'ed demos; I have a hard time picturing them working closely together again as in the Haties. I also imagine there would have to be a private and very uncomfortable airing of grievances first.

Followed up by feats of strength...

Followed up by feats of strength...

I think the only way things can be resolved now, is if Johnny and Moz sign up for a public wrestling match, strip down to their underpants, get in the ring and thrash it out between them.
After 20 minutes of sweaty man on man action, I suspect either one of them will have killed the other and claimed the ultimate victory, or they will be rolling around on the floor, hugging and kissing, oblivious to the crowd.
It could go either way, but there's only one way to find out...

Back
Top Bottom