'The Smiths will NEVER get back together,' says rep, despite new rumors - HitFix

Posted by an anonymous person:

In case anyone hasn't seen this, apparently Morrissey's publicist shot down this rumour in a comment to HitFix (whatever that is):

'The Smiths will never get back together,' says rep, despite new rumors - HitFix
GLASTONBURY 2013 WILL GO ON WITHOUT THEM
By Melinda Newman MONDAY, OCT 1, 2012 6:31 PM

As rumors of a Smiths’ reunion light up the the internet again today, we reached out to former lead singer Morrissey’s publicist, who shut down the possibility of the British band reuniting at Glastonbury... or anywhere else.

“The Smiths will NEVER get back together,” Morrissey's rep replied to our email request for a response to the flurry of rumors running rampant. That mean, of course, that this round of speculation would seem to be like the 1,289 ones before it: totally false. The uppercase is from the publicist, not us. She sounds suspiciously like she's quoting Taylor Swift's current single, doesn't she?

Ever since the band broke up 25 years ago, these rumors crop up periodically with varying degrees of support and varying amounts of zeros after the dollar sign (The going rate was apparently $75 million six years ago for a 40-date Morrissey/Johnny Marr outing). Despite Morrissey saying he would “rather eat my own testicles” than reform the band, the rumors still come back again like a bad penny every so often.

This time, ground zero seems to be a U.K. entertainment website called Holy Moly, which is reporting that it is hearing from more than two sources that “The Smiths will reform in 2013...It’s a done deal...Dates are booked...Glastonbury is one of four dates.” As you will recall, there have also been rumors that Coachella offered to turn the whole event vegetarian if that would lure non-meat-eater Morrissey to reunite with his former bandmates. But there is apparently not enough tofurkey in the world to get this crew on stage together again.

As badly as The Smith fans want to see Morrissey reunite with Marr, Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce, it looks like, to paraphrase one of their album titles, “The Smiths Are Dead” ... and remain so.

UPDATE Oct. 2, 11:50 AM PT:

Link posted by MORRIZSEY:

The Smiths reunion denied by Johnny Marr's manager -NME.com
Guitarist is focused on new album and 2013 solo tour

Link also posted by MORRIZSEY:

Morrissey Rep: 'The Smiths Are Never Going to Reunite' - Rolling Stone
Group was rumored to be mulling a reunion for Coachella

Excerpt:

"The Smiths are never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever going to reunite – ever," Morrissey's publicist tells Rolling Stone, in reaction to the latest rumors claiming otherwise.

UPDATE Oct. 5, 6:45 AM PT:

Posted by Uncleskinny:

Mike Joyce has just been on Beatwolf Radio talking about the latest rumours...

http://tindeck.com/listen/pkff

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: 'The Smiths will NEVER get back together,' says rep, despite new rumors

what difference does it make?

this aint happening in anybodies lifetime,and neither should it.somebody tell me a joke to cheer me up its pissing outside.

I could MAYBE see a Morrissey/Marr one-off reunion happening, but a full Smiths reunion? Never.

Re: Article: 'The Smiths will NEVER get back together,' says rep, despite new rumors

what difference does it make?

tumblr_m3uqsm7vef1r7scov.gif

money changes everything.

Re: If Joyce Did Not Sue The Smiths, We Would Have A Reunion

But he did sue. Therefore, Joyce murdered The Smiths.

Discuss.

Well he certainly shot himself in the foot. If The Smiths did reform, Joyce wouldn't be a part of it. I'm not even sure if Rourke would play a part, although he is on good terms with Marr.

What are the legalities here?

If Marr, Joyce and Rourke got together again, possibly bolstered by Gannon, and a new vocalist, could they go out as 'The Smiths'?

http://www.nme.com/news/the-smiths/66416

The Smiths reunion denied by Johnny Marr's manager
[Guitarist is focused on new album and 2013 solo tour]

Johnny Marr's manager, Joe Moss, has flatly denied any truth in the latest Smiths reunion rumours, telling NME: "It isn't happening. We are fully focused on preparing Johnny's new album for release and booking shows for 2013."

Yesterday (October 1), celebrity gossip site Holy Moly created an online buzz by posting an article claiming "several credible sources" had confirmed that The Smiths would reform for four 2013 shows, including Glastonbury Festival.

They reported that the reunion was a "done deal" but had conflicting reports on who was reuniting. One of their sources claimed all four members would returns to the fold, while another said Mike Joyce would not be re-joining the legendary Manchester band.

The rumour was given extra leverage when, in a recent interview with Australia's Courier Mail, lead singer Morrissey claimed that, following his 2009 solo appearance, agents for California's Coachella festival offered to stage a 100 percent vegetarian event if he agreed to headline with Johnny Marr as the Smiths.

Back in February, Marr told NME that he would reform The Smiths if the current coalition government steps down, commenting: "We won't be reforming this week. Maybe if the government stepped down. If this government stepped down, I'll reform the band. How's that? That's a fair trade, isn't it? I think the country would be better off, don't you? I'll do it if the coalition steps down."

The iconic indie group formed in 1982, splitting five years later after releasing classic albums such as 'The Queen Is Dead' and 'Meat Is Murder' and indie anthems including 'This Charming Man' and 'How Soon Is Now?'.

Could be a cryptic statement. Although it was Morrissey and Marr who formed the group, one could say that technically speaking, The Smiths has to be all four full members - Moz, Marr, Andy and Mike.

If we assume Joyce Michael is not involved, but the other three are, then technically it isn't The Smiths ;)

I loved The Smiths, but really not bothered about them reforming on stage. More interested in Morrissey recording more albums...

That settles that!

On a side note, I think him and Rourke were done but they agreed to it, there's not a lot of point in agreeing to something and then bitching about it afterwards.

But yes, Joyce's actions meant the Smiths will never be resuscitated.

On the one hand it's great but on the other it will stop The Smiths ever going stratospheric like they always deserved to.

Sorry, but they agreed to what???? Was it in writing??? How do you know they agreed to it.

But lets turn the question on it's head - if Morrissey and Johnny had paid Andy and Mike the correct amount due at the time, OR if they had got everything down in writing at the time stating percentages etc, then A&M wouldn't have needed to sue and we would have a reunion!
See, it's all M&J's fault!

You know, there are people out there who still enjoy what Morrissey is doing and would rather hear new music then relive the past.

And I'm one of them. I have very little interest in The Smiths reuniting. I do like them...a lot, even, but they were before my time and I am still angry with Johnny for leaving. As far as the past, if anything, I'd love to hear the Morrissey line-up of 1995. Some of the best EVER of Morrissey (and the band) is in this bootleg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G1iCevsh4Q

The only rival? Perhaps, "Rank" by The Smiths.

But above all, new material from Morrissey is always better than old material. That's not to say we don't love the old material, we do, but the past is the past. Got to move on.

What are the legalities here?

If Marr, Joyce and Rourke got together again, possibly bolstered by Gannon, and a new vocalist, could they go out as 'The Smiths'?

No, they couldn't. Morrissey was The Smiths, for lack of a better term. And Johnny. But more Morrissey. Understand? With time, this has been made clear, hasn't it? Without Morrissey, it's a band called White Dice. Probably still decent or good, but DEFINITELY NOT THE SMITHS. Does this make sense?

I'm not reuniting the band, unless you ASK ME, ASK ME.....lalalalalala

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom