The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV

The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV
By Loz Etheridge

Excerpt:

Morrissey cuts a more controversial figure than ever these days, now well past the point where anyone could feasibly even attempt to defend his offensive comments or totally unacceptable views. He has been reported as having said some truly shocking things in recent years, which none of us in our right minds would ever condone. To that end, for the sake of this article, I would like you to imagine, difficult as it may be, that after The Smiths split up there was nothing but an eerie silence, at least from one quarter of Manchester’s favourite sons.

Instead, let’s go back to a happier time – a simpler time when we found ourselves punching the air in delight at the lyrical genius of ‘Mozzer’, marvelling at the seemingly very intelligent, eloquent but shy, gangly individual who was brightening the lives of society’s outsiders, and, indeed, sometimes even playing a part in some of those kids’ minds that hey, maybe life isn’t so bad after all – I’m NOT ALONE.

Last edited by a moderator:
its A generational thing I reckon. Older folks will say The Beatles, Queen etc, less older folks will go with Oasis etc and younger ones Arctic Monkeys etc. Don’t think many would say The Smiths
I was out in the city centre about a week and a half ago, got chatting to a young lad in a beer garden about music and when I mentioned the smiths , he told me he had been listing to still I’ll the day previous... he went on to talk about more of their songs in depth.... I know a lot of younger people who are well aware of the smiths, and enjoy the music, they are just not aware of the whole morrissey life style as it were back in our day, I think the smiths are very relevant to young people, as what the Beatles are to us older ones...

That's a good point. All Morrissey's likes and interests are things they want to destroy and consign to the dustbin - and that includes England itself - which they would like to see turned into an amalgam of Pakistan and Nigeria. The fact they can't see this irony is something I often dwell on.
Here we 4kin go... KKK meets The SS.

I was out in the city centre about a week and a half ago, got chatting to a young lad in a beer garden about music and when I mentioned the smiths , he told me he had been listing to still I’ll the day previous... he went on to talk about more of their songs in depth.... I know a lot of younger people who are well aware of the smiths, and enjoy the music, they are just not aware of the whole morrissey life style as it were back in our day, I think the smiths are very relevant to young people, as what the Beatles are to us older ones...

I think that's very true. Listening to The Smiths is a rite of passage for any free thinking teenager these days, as much so as listening to The Velvet Underground or reading Albert Camus.

Last edited:
was this person even born in 83,britain was a shit place to live then,shipyards closing,strikes,very few jobs.
Yes, it was really bleak. It’s hard to overstate how bad it was. I fear we might be there again, soon.

Yes, it was really bleak. It’s hard to overstate how bad it was. I fear we might be there again, soon.
Don’t you think the 70s were worse than the 80s??? At least in the 80s the yuppies were at least getting something ( if not the lot) where as the 70s nobody got nowt??

I think that's very true. Listening to The Smiths is a rite of passage for any free thinking teenager these days, as much so as listening to The Velvet Underground or reading Albert Camus.
I think teenagers now, can get a bad press... they are more clued up nowerdays than we ever were..... Camus! Did he play center back for villa 🤣🤣

Don’t mention Camus around here, his bones shall be dug up and sent back to where they came from... 🤫🤫🤫

That's a good point. All Morrissey's likes and interests are things they want to destroy and consign to the dustbin - and that includes England itself - which they would like to see turned into an amalgam of Pakistan and Nigeria. The fact they can't see this irony is something I often dwell on.

You probably have less than 20 years of life left, why not enjoy it rather than be such a negative nasty c***?

Don’t you think the 70s were worse than the 80s??? At least in the 80s the yuppies were at least getting something ( if not the lot) where as the 70s nobody got nowt??
It’s fashionable to make fun of the 70s. But the UK had an empowered working class then. I suspect that might actually be the cause of a modern revision which wants the decade remembered as the worst of times. And the 70s Bond movies were brilliant, and cause enough alone to venerate the decade.

In 84 and 87, first my dad and then my mum were made redundant. Then we knew what having nowt meant.

It’s fashionable to make fun of the 70s. But the UK had an empowered working class then. I suspect that might actually be the cause of a modern revision which wants the decade remembered as the worst of times. And the 70s Bond movies were brilliant, and cause enough alone to venerate the decade.

In 84 and 87, first my dad and then my mum were made redundant. Then we knew what having nowt meant.
I can remember my father being made redundant in the 70s ( never in the 80s) he used to come home with his wage packet on a Thursday, unopened, remember the little brown packets with a small holed window at the front?.. if you think about it now you never get to see your wages in whole anymore... never got into bond I'm afraid .... preferred crackajack, the Sullivan’s and paint along with Nancy... 4K Bob Harris he’s an imposter, maybe even a super villain....

You probably have less than 20 years of life left, why not enjoy it rather than be such a negative nasty c***?
Because as a human being with a conscience I have social and political awareness. Imagine if everyone had your frame of mind at the beginning of WW2? They just would have sat on their arses and listened to music, shrugging their shoulders as bombs fell around them. Instead they were called up and became "negative nasty c***s" and fought for the survival of their country, culture and in Winston Churchill's words, the continuation of "their way of life".

Our way of life is not only under threat, it's officially dying. As Morrissey said, the ashes are all around us.

Because as a human being with a conscience I have social and political awareness. Imagine if everyone had your frame of mind at the beginning of WW2? They just would have sat on their arses and listened to music, shrugging their shoulders as bombs fell around them. Instead they were called up and became "negative nasty c***s" and fought for the survival of their country, culture and in Winston Churchill's words, the continuation of "their way of life".

Our way of life is not only under threat, it's officially dying. As Morrissey said, the ashes are all around us.
Yawwnnnn. Buy the new cornershop album and dance like nee 4krs watching you .... you are not a human being, the elephant man was a human being , and probably better looking as well...

Which is another reason i'd never vote Labour again - moral cowardice.
The reason why you don’t vote labour is because your ex girlfriend bombed you off then became a labour councillor.... then you’ve slandered her on here... I really don’t enjoy being horrid to you , but you never have a nice word to say about anyone.... ps can you change that picture of you(again) it’s even worse than the last one....

could be hovis.i tell younger people about the 70s,now there was a decade,power cuts,three day week,walking to the shops with a candle so you could see where you were going.they look at me as if iv just made up some weird story.

could be hovis.i tell younger people about the 70s,now there was a decade,power cuts,three day week,walking to the shops with a candle so you could see where you were going.they look at me as if iv just made up some weird story.
My mum dreamt of ‘power cuts’. She had no electricity in her childhood home. For her, the 60s and 70s were a time of unprecedented affluence. She still feels that those two decades were fantastic.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom