The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV

The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV
By Loz Etheridge

Excerpt:

Morrissey cuts a more controversial figure than ever these days, now well past the point where anyone could feasibly even attempt to defend his offensive comments or totally unacceptable views. He has been reported as having said some truly shocking things in recent years, which none of us in our right minds would ever condone. To that end, for the sake of this article, I would like you to imagine, difficult as it may be, that after The Smiths split up there was nothing but an eerie silence, at least from one quarter of Manchester’s favourite sons.

Instead, let’s go back to a happier time – a simpler time when we found ourselves punching the air in delight at the lyrical genius of ‘Mozzer’, marvelling at the seemingly very intelligent, eloquent but shy, gangly individual who was brightening the lives of society’s outsiders, and, indeed, sometimes even playing a part in some of those kids’ minds that hey, maybe life isn’t so bad after all – I’m NOT ALONE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Utter twats of British pop

1. ABC
2. KLF
3. Chumbawomba
4. Bros (did you see their documentary)
5. Gary glitter
6. Dave lee travis ( just a twat)
7. Mike joyce
8. Robson and Jerome
9. Roland rat
10. Ed Sheehan
Given that the KLF aim to be twats, of sorts, I’m afraid I can’t let them in.

For your information, Alannah currie , from Thompson twins has been married to Jimmy cultree for some years now.... bet he regrets burning all that cash , for arts sake... daft c*** 🤔🤔🤔

ABC have always pissed me off ever since 82 . Martin has a face that has always just got on my nerves, and the videos, well it’s really.............

Here is my most hated bands/ singers/ or people who have been told that they might just possibly be able to hit a note....
1. Stock, aitken, waterman
2. New kids on the block
3. Bros ( should be no 1 )
4. Sonia (say no more)
5. Brother beyond
6. Rihanna ( gonahrea jack)
7. Lulu
8. All forms of grime
9. Dollar
10. Eminem ( the Bernard manning of USA pop)
Forgot enya, I wish she would sail away...

For your information, Alannah currie , from Thompson twins has been married to Jimmy cultree for some years now.... bet he regrets burning all that cash , for arts sake... daft c*** 🤔🤔🤔
I didn’t know that. She was a taxidermist last time I read an article about her.

ABC have always pissed me off ever since 82 . Martin has a face that has always just got on my nerves, and the videos, well it’s really.............
He’s a pound shop Bryan Ferry isn’t he? I saw him live a couple of years ago.

The Beatles were an undeniably incredible group. A brilliant song-writing duo with a stellar rhythm section. Band wouldn’t have been the same, were it not for all four.

Reminds me of another band.

I didn’t know that. She was a taxidermist last time I read an article about her.
Yes quite right , she made furniture from road kill , alannah was very into environment issues , and very into women’s rights , a campaigner on a few issues.... a very strong woman, unfortunately she has chosen to take a back seat for a long time now, she’s the kind of lass i would love to have dinner with, or a pasty from Greggs , either way I would love to meet her for half an hour ... also a great lyricist

My top 5 singles as bought by me , or family.... some fog here so I shall begin

1. Joe dolcie, shut up your 4kin face.. I remember being ill on the sofa and watching this with my big sis..on top of the pops . She asked if I wanted to get this single, I said yes and unfortunately I gave her my pocket money...
2. Kids in America, Kim Wilde , just stared secondary school my mate stole it at lunch time price was 99p I bought it for about 10 Bob ..... a bargain ...
3. And if I remember was the very first time in a record store on my own, to actually buy .... imagine by John Lennon... soon after he was shot.... it’s always been a family discussion that my grandmother was related to johns auntie who brought him up after his mother died, when I’ve looked into this , there is Lennons on my grandmothers side, Irish from about 1850s - 1870 immigrants from the potatoe famine ECT ...

It might come to some debate as to which band in its expression of words, music and visual presentation is the most British.

So now folks, let’s ask the question again....

Who is the best British band of all time ?

Morrissey.

And The Smiths would be the second one.

I don't really like the Beatles, John Lennon's voice is impossible for me. The early Stones were good though.

Now I am curious about 2 things:

1) Which one is better for MORRISSEY: Beatles of Stones? Any journalist asked him that question?

2) Which one is the best British band according to Morrissey? (without including the Smiths or his solo work, though I am not sure if he would vote for himself)... I am curious because I think he would probably choose something absolutely unexpected.

Of course, he is not here, so they are somehow abstract questions.

Iz it coz she black!!!!!
I think it might be. According to some (whites), you simply can’t enjoy black music without some ulterior motive.

I can't stand all these shit snowflake millenials who are soooo shocked by something a popstar says. Do something good in your life other than just change your facebook profile pic to something that is very very important for the next two weeks, until something even more important pops up.

Add Keane & Snow Patrol for making Talent Shows even more unbearable.
I have to say, those two bands were the death of pop music for me. That said, Leona Lewis took Snow Patrol’s Run and did something amazing with it.

1) Which one is better for MORRISSEY: Beatles of Stones? Any journalist asked him that question?

2) Which one is the best British band according to Morrissey? (without including the Smiths or his solo work, though I am not sure if he would vote for himself)... I am curious because I think he would probably choose something absolutely unexpected.

Of course, he is not here, so they are somehow abstract questions.

Believe he would say Beatles.

Early on he commented, between the two he chose Paul. But in more recent years he’s been spotted wearing a Lennon badge.

Yeah, have no idea who he would consider the best British band of all time. I’m sure he would say The Smiths.

Maybe The Who or Buzzcocks ?

Believe he would say Beatles.

Early on he commented, between the two he chose Paul. But in more recent years he’s been spotted wearing a Lennon badge.

Yeah, have no idea who he would consider the best British band of all time. I’m sure he would say The Smiths.

Maybe The Who or Buzzcocks ?
He would say The Sex Pistols, surely?

Off the record, he might say Roxy Music.

If he had to choose between Buzzcocks and Sex Pistols, I believe he would choose Buzzcocks. No?
I remember John Lydon being disparaging about vegetarians; asked about it Morrissey said he could forgive Lydon ‘anything’. That’s quite an accolade.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom