The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV

The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV
By Loz Etheridge

Excerpt:

Morrissey cuts a more controversial figure than ever these days, now well past the point where anyone could feasibly even attempt to defend his offensive comments or totally unacceptable views. He has been reported as having said some truly shocking things in recent years, which none of us in our right minds would ever condone. To that end, for the sake of this article, I would like you to imagine, difficult as it may be, that after The Smiths split up there was nothing but an eerie silence, at least from one quarter of Manchester’s favourite sons.

Instead, let’s go back to a happier time – a simpler time when we found ourselves punching the air in delight at the lyrical genius of ‘Mozzer’, marvelling at the seemingly very intelligent, eloquent but shy, gangly individual who was brightening the lives of society’s outsiders, and, indeed, sometimes even playing a part in some of those kids’ minds that hey, maybe life isn’t so bad after all – I’m NOT ALONE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with you on Kate Bush - the best female singer / songwriter that Britain has ever produced. Hounds of Love is a work of art.
Most of the others I wouldn't mention in the same breath to be honest. Apart from Marianne and Dusty.
And where are The Ronettes in your list?
HOL work of art, agreed. Same with The Kick Inside, if not more so than HOL.

The most underrated British bands of all time....
1. Madness
2. Banaramma
3. Soul 2 soul
4. Erasure
5. Bad manners
6. The flying pickets
7. Dexys midnight runners
8. Keizer chiefs
9. Hot chocolate
10. The specials....

A special mention to Bronski beat
Human league, dead or alive...... Kim Wilde and Alison moyet

HOL work of art, agreed. Same with The Kick Inside, if not more so than HOL.
She is without doubt the greatest/ best/ most influential female ( or our greatest artist of all time) ever... she is faultless in her work , Ariel was one of the weirdest albums I’ve ever heard, she makes bjork sound tediously dull...

Nothing but love and respect for Beyoncé. Intelligent, conscious artist, yet mainstream, yet challenging. The only one even remotely close to filling Michael’s shoes. I don’t listen to her often, but when I do I definitely enjoy it. Mostly her output from 2013 and onwards. Also, the Beyoncé of, say, 2006-2013 is the most beautiful any woman has ever been in the history of the world. Absolutely jaw dropping. Can’t even grasp it.

Nothing but love and respect for Beyoncé. Intelligent, conscious artist, yet mainstream, yet challenging. The only one even remotely close to filling Michael’s shoes. I don’t listen to her often, but when I do I definitely enjoy it. Mostly her output from 2013 and onwards. Also, the Beyoncé of, say, 2006-2013 is the most beautiful any woman has ever been in the history of the world. Absolutely jaw dropping. Can’t even grasp it.
Virtue signalled enough now?

No. The best british band of all time is The Beatles.
They said nothing to me about my life.... Sang in American terminology (she loves you yeah yeah yeah) jumped every bandwagon going and had to take a shed load of drugs to write nonsense songs.....

They said nothing to me about my life.... Sang in American terminology (she loves you yeah yeah yeah) jumped every bandwagon going and had to take a shed load of drugs to write nonsense songs.....
Please release your list and enlighten me

The most underrated British bands of all time....
1. Madness
2. Banaramma
3. Soul 2 soul
4. Erasure
5. Bad manners
6. The flying pickets
7. Dexys midnight runners
8. Keizer chiefs
9. Hot chocolate
10. The specials....

A special mention to Bronski beat
Human league, dead or alive...... Kim Wilde and Alison moyet
If I was to pick one of them for a greatest short list, it would be Dexys.

The best British bands are
1. The Smiths
2. Joy Division
3. The Cure
4. The Clash
5. Oasis

but at the same time, nothing but respect for the Beatles, the Pistols, the Jam, Kinks etc. Music wouldn’t be the same without them.
Great list. I'd remove The Clash and Oasis and add New Order and Morrissey (Moz solo I mean).

Such hate for the Stones! The single they released this spring (Ghost Town) is absolutely brilliant. Listen!

Sorry, í can't. The battery on my hearing aid's gone ;)

OK .......

best British band ?

that’s band, not a solo artist.

1. Briefly give your definition of what you would call a British sound.

2. Let’s say the band has to be together, original members intact,
for 4 years (in a row) or more.

3. Members must be British born.

4. Nothing post-Smiths.

5. What in your words makes them the best?

Here is my most hated bands/ singers/ or people who have been told that they might just possibly be able to hit a note....
1. Stock, aitken, waterman
2. New kids on the block
3. Bros ( should be no 1 )
4. Sonia (say no more)
5. Brother beyond
6. Rihanna ( gonahrea jack)
7. Lulu
8. All forms of grime
9. Dollar
10. Eminem ( the Bernard manning of USA pop)

OK .......

best British band ?

that’s band, not a solo artist.

1. Briefly give your definition of what you would call a British sound.

2. Let’s say the band has to be together, original members intact,
for 4 years (in a row) or more.

3. Members must be British born.

4. Nothing post-Smiths.

5. What in your words makes them the best?
Can’t think why you’ve chosen 4 years, as opposed to 5. There must be some logic though.

Top 10 bands we’ve all forgot but shall be reinstalled to my top 10. With immediate effect....

1. Proclaimers
2. Divine comedy
3. Basement jaxx
4. Elastica
5. Anthony and the Johnston’s
6. Fine young canabils
7. Chas and Dave
8. Sugarbabes
9. Mai tai
10. Style council ( for nerak only)

Top 10 bands we’ve all forgot but shall be reinstalled to my top 10. With immediate effect....

1. Proclaimers
2. Divine comedy
3. Basement jaxx
4. Elastica
5. Anthony and the Johnston’s
6. Fine young canabils
7. Chas and Dave
8. Sugarbabes
9. Mai tai
10. Style council ( for nerak only)
Proclaimers, FYC, The Style Council and Chaz and Dave can pass through.

Utter twats of British pop

1. ABC
2. KLF
3. Chumbawomba
4. Bros (did you see their documentary)
5. Gary glitter
6. Dave lee travis ( just a twat)
7. Mike joyce
8. Robson and Jerome
9. Roland rat
10. Ed Sheehan

My American top 10