The Smiths San Remo 1987. Any footage of this specific performance?

butley

It was clearly the San Remo Festival in 1987 but there is no footage anywhere online of The Smiths in this garb. There is footage of the Festival but with different staging and outfits.

Attachments

• 1E90ECF2-1B80-4391-9C7B-2FB7FC2D7B5E.jpeg
    1E90ECF2-1B80-4391-9C7B-2FB7FC2D7B5E.jpeg
    897.6 KB · Views: 0
LOL

San Remo is where swedish football commentator Jesper Hussfelt goes as often as he can dressed in typical San Remo fashion.

A real connoisseur when it comes to italian football and he once had a jacuzzi in his living room.

a6ef2fd4-8e79-48ba-9149-77279aefaa6e

Don't let me ruin yet another thread so carry on now boys and girls.

It was clearly the San Remo Festival in 1987 but there is no footage anywhere online of The Smiths in this garb. There is footage of the Festival but with different staging and outfits.
Ask was filmed 3 times (with Morrissey changing outfits from black to white - hence your image) and 4 other songs were mimed also.
If you watch both main YT clips I think you see everything minus the 2 extra recordings of Ask and There Is A Light...

Which is here:

Better quality version of the broadcast Ask:

I don't think I've seen the full 'gig' that was broadcast - only the YT bits/San Remo special. They got good use out of the white jacket images thereafter though (even if not shown on TV).
Why they filmed Ask 3 times is a bit confusing - IIRC, they were promoting Shoplifters... at the time. Anyone?
Regards,
FWD.

I have read a comment from someone who was there that the picture was taken during a rehearsal/sound check.

I have read a comment from someone who was there that the picture was taken during a rehearsal/sound check.
They had a sound check for a show that was entirely mimed??? :guitar::brows:

So it was probably for a camera rehearsal? Thanks for the information. Now all,I need to know is why they recorded two versions of Stretch Out and Wait?

So it was probably for a camera rehearsal? Thanks for the information. Now all,I need to know is why they recorded two versions of Stretch Out and Wait?
At San. Remo!?
Regards,
FWD.

Do you think they mimed without sound as well?

Yeah, a couple of warm ups in front of the mirror would've done it. By all accounts Morrissey was drunk anyways.

Probably more in general? Though I agree that this question is a bit confusing in this thread. That being said I would like to know the answer myself.
I don't think there's much to it other than after 2 years of the 12" B-side version existing, someone decided one of the other takes (with the extra part) should go on The World Won't Listen as a nice addition to make it a bit more unique.
Regards,
FWD.

Back
Top Bottom